pet turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by on_the_fly, Mar 13, 2009.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    OK now dont laugh too hard but I now have a pet turkey and we named him DINNER. yes it still sounds funny to call for dinner out the back door LMAO :smile2:It's a Jake with about a 1 inch beard and boy does he like to gobble, LOL This bird was given to me by my younger brother ( I just had to get it after he asked) I have found myself setting out side playing with my calles and veiwing his responces to them in hopes of it helping me become a better caller. Now I know what a few of you are thinking belive me I though of it to. (use as decoy) well here in Kentucky it is illegal to use live birds for decoys or bait wild turkey so he will stay at home when I go BUUUUUUUTTTT there is notting wrong with my pet doing a little calling and I might just look out my back door to a nice bird. LOL he is in a cage for now I was hoping to let him get use to us and then let him loose and mabey he'll stay around the house like a farm animal. ( I Hope) I think I am going to tie a hunter orange ribbon around his legs and let every one around me know that if they or they let others hunt that if the bird has orange ribbon on the legs not to shoot. we'll see how that goes even if the bird doent stick around he might live through this year anyhow. you think he would anyways with only a 1 inch beard but people get desperate the last few days to fill tags.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    here are two pics of Dinner if they come out one is just him and the other is him in half strut. I can get him to gobble all day but he dont want to strut yet.

Attached Files:

3. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    That's cool. Thanks for sharing. I like the name you give him also :smile2::smile2::wink:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Only in Kentuck. LMAO

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I got the Idea from a guy that lives in Missouri. I think he moved there from Indiana:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Leroy,You can buy wild turkey poults from many poultry hatcheries now,Course some states require a yearly permit to keep gamebirds in captivity. My wife has been trying to get me to raise some turkeys,I said sure as long as they are eastern strain wild turkeys.:smile2:

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Leroy your post reminds me of what I saw years ago and I could not
    help but chuckle. A buddy of mine has a small farm that is surrounded
    by timber land that is leased by hunting clubs. He has a big gobbler
    that runs loose and during turkey season he stakes his gobbler out
    with a thong around one foot to keep him at home. I was at this mans
    house and that big gobbler was gobbeling like crazy answering a hen
    or hunter in the woods. I could just here that hunter talking about his
    hunt saying "man I had that gobbler gobbeling like crazy but he just would
    not come in."

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    that's sweet BRO !!! you will get better with your calling technique , i always go to my uncles house and mess with Birds ...

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    That is cool, I am just wondering how the pet is going to react when you come home carrying a limp bird around the neck.

10. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    I ve got a few pet turkeys also, really listen to him, the soft noises he makes, that bird is the best teacher you could find, mine has helped me learn calls Ive never heard a turkey or any store bought call make. I let mine run loose, but during turkey season I pen them up.
    Nice looking bird!

11. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    haha if i were u id keep him close the house come turkey season! you get the beginners like me thatll shoot anything with spurs for their first:smile2:. thats cool