Pet Fish Help

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Ellis, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Well, ive been petsitting dogs cats and fish for my moms friend for money. I just got back from their house, and one of the fish was dead. It had its belly blown open with an organ hanging out of it. Ive been worried I was overfeeding them for awhile, so I think thats the problem. Also the fish are small koi and minnow sized fish that is white and has black stripes on it. I odnt tihnk they were striped bass. So what am i doing wrong? Thanks.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the fish sounds like a barb are black are "tiger" shark. They are ot really sharks though its just a name. over feeding could be a problem. H ave you noticed anything on the fish like little black spots are yellow spots are white stuff around there fins are gills? Fish also get something I thinks it is called bloat that could make them burst like that.

3. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Since,

I have 2 fish tanks and i can help you..

Whats are the ph levels of the water... is the tank cycled? What is the ammonia level?

do you do weekly water changes and gravel cleaning?

Stephen

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most likely overfeeding.If in doubt,feed every other day.Only feed what you can see them clean up.It will not hurt them to be a little underfed for a while.peewee-williams

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    fish can be healthily left without food for two weeks, if the fish are healthy to start out. just a small pich of food should work.