Pet Channels

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LiveWire, Oct 24, 2007.

1. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Ok I've got two channel cats that I got from the pet shop close to a year ago. They were maybe two inches long when I got them. I've had them in a 29 gallon tank with 2 goldfish and 3 other fish called guramis (prolly didnt spell that right). They both have grown to about 6 inches long now. My question is: How big will these guys get while in this tank? Will they keep growing or reach a limit to the size of the tank? Does anyone know?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    my dad had some in 50 gal tank and they only got to about 10"
    i dont know if this helps but he kept those fish for about 5yrs and they got no bigger

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    To my knowledge, it should be similar to other fish kept in aquariums. They will grow to the size the aquarium allows them to.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have kept aquarium fish before it was a hobby of mine. Never kept (channels) catfish though but as long as they have adequate room and food they will continue to grow. Even if they are in a small tank like yours. A small tank will stunt(slow) their growth but they will continue to grow. I had often thought about keeping a channel cat as a pet but figure after two years they would be two big for my tank. But it would have been intersting to observe their behavior.

5. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I would like to get a bigger tank eventually. Something around 75 or maybe even 100 gallons. As long as the two remain alive I dont think I'll get any more. I've always heard the more fish you have, the smaller thier size will be. The cat's behavior is definitely fun to watch. They freak out when someone first approches the tank but are pretty calm after a few minutes. Thanks Yall!

6. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I've kept some that I caught out of the river. they were about 3" or so when caught. I kept them for about 2 yrs and they were 10" or so when I returned them.

7. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I used to raise albino channel cats in a 55 gallon tank. I would buy them from a pet store when they were about an inch or so long, and in about 1 year they would be about 10 inches. Then I would put them in ponds. They love shrimp pellets, and when they get a little bigger cut shad or bluegill are good food for them.

8. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    pretty sure it s as big as the tank allows, I got one channel and one bluegill in a 30 gal scince the spring I ll prolly let it go when it gets about 10inches, if i think having the bluegill in there is stunting his growth then he has to go

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    From my experiences at having fish as pets they will only grow so big in the size of tank you have them in. I have never had a fish out grow a tank. I hear it all the time that "it got too big for the tank". I don't buy this at all. They will stop growing in the size of tank they are in. If you move them to a larger tank they will start to grow again. The channels you have now may grow a couple more inches in the tank they are in. I had a flathead that was about a pound and a half when I put him in a 75 gallon tank in a little over a year he grew to about 3 1/2 pounds. There was plenty of other large fish in there all the time and it did not seem to stunt his growth.

10. brandonleeraab

brandonleeraab New Member

State:
    louisiana
    had a friend that had a huge bluegill and about 1# bass . after a year he said they barely grew at all.i think the tank was a 50 gallon. he released them because the tank was stunting thier growth

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Too big is relative when it comes to pet fish. They will not grow to their potential, but they will grow big enough to----1 uproot any plant or ornament in the tank. 2 Keep the tank muddy by rooting through the gravel. And 3 turn any other fish that they can get into their mouth into expensive kitty treats.
    "Too big" pets are the source of most of the albino channel cats that are caught (and photographed) by fishermen on this site.

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im pretty sure 10 in. are about all they should get.... I have a little bullhead, that at the time looks like a flatty and he is about 10in. and growing

13. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have been doing aquariums my whole life. and have had dozens of channels ,or south american catfish . favorits are red tailed cat , and tiger shuvle nose cat. or when they hybrid. and you get a mix. most channels i have had i have got ride of at like 18 inches. in a 55 gallon. its also what you feed them . if you balance out a diet . with good protine foods. they grow more. i think a channle slows down a bit in growing after 12 inches. it still grows fast. but it does slow some . now i raised a 2ft tiger shuvle nose from about 2 inches long. in a 12 inch wide aquairum. he barley could turn around . those fish are known for tank busting. at night eating food . they have been known to crash right through glass. so tank does slow down . but doesn't compllty stop growth. with bigger fish menas differentf oods and diet . to maintain growth.

14. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    I can't believe people still think fish only grow to a certain size depending on how big the tank is. FISH DO NOT GROW TO FIT THEIR TANK. Where did this myth start and how has it survived all these years? Amazing. In fact, fish routinely OUTGROW the tanks they are kept in if they are healthy.

I've had aquariums and fish my whole life. I've also managed two pet stores, bred and raised fish, and kept dozens of fish species including channel cats. The minimum size tank for a channel in my opinion is a 55 gallon tank. But, even with adequate biological filtration, a 55 is too small for an adult channel.

Here's a simple but usually acurate formula for most fish species. Obviously fish such as eels require something different.

The tank should be no smaller than:

3 times as long as the total length of the largest fish
    2 times as deep as the total length of the largest fish
    2 times as tall as the total length of the largest fish

Using this simple formula, a 12 inch channel should have a tank that is 3 feet long x 2 feet tall x 2 feet deep.

The total length in inches of all fish kept in the aquarium should not exceed its volume in gallons.

Therefore, a 55 gallon aquarium should not have more 55 inches of fish.

These are of optimal conditions, and of course you can get away with more fish if you beef up your filtration, monitor your water quality, oxygenate, etc.

Here's a more scientific approach to tank sizing.

http://malawicichlids.com/mw01019.htm

15. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho

Ok if what you are saying is 100% true then riddle me this.

Why is that when my little 1/2 acre pond was over populated with Bass it stunted there growth. The way we and DNR know that they were stunted was b/c a 4in to 6in baby bass should not be old enough to spawn yet they had EGGS!!!!!

They can and will only grow to there tank. Look at how much the average catfish grows in the wild (length and weight) then look at how your fish does in a fish tank. He will be ALOT smaller than the wild catfish.

I have had 2 channel cats and 1 flathead in a 150gal tank for 5 years now. When I started they were all about 6in long. I got them from a feeder creek that started to dry up. Now the flathead is only 2 1/2 pounds and the channels are close to 2 pounds. I always keep 24 baby bluegills in there with them so they can eat when they want. All three cats are bigger round than they are long.

Also the tank was a salt water tank but I got tired of the expensive every day up keep. So yes my filtration system is great, it's meant for a 250gal tank and so is my aerator. Plus I do a chemical check every day......

Just my 2 cents, spend how you want....

16. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Brad---Your 150 gallon tank, with superior filtration, and excellent maintinance make for a decent home for your cats. However, such a setup is beyond the means or ambition of most of us. The fact that your cats have not gotten bigger than 2 and a half pounds only proves that even those conditions are not optimum. In a 29 gallon tank, a 2 pound channel would have to bend in half to turn around(I know I tried it). IMHO for a dedicated, experienced, fishkeeper (such as yourself) with a huge tank cats make a fair pet. For the average Joe BAD IDEA. As for your stunted bass, they ate everything in that pond. Ethel (the late largest bass in captivity) put on several pounds during her time at BASS PRO SHOP. Huge as their tank was, I don't think it was 1/2 an acre.

17. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Thank you Mark, I got the tank when I was stationed in Hawaii. I was there for three years. over there it was easy to up the tank because every thing was so cheapwhen I got out and moved back here it was a "Horse Of A Different Color". Theres not that big of a market around me for salt water tanks so the ones that did have the stuff or could get the stuff jacked the prices WAY up. I mean if I was paying $5.00 for it in hawaii I was paying $20.00 plus special order fees here. So I just went to fresh water....

As far as my pond, the DNR told me to pull as many little ones out as I could and stock some more over 5lbs. So me and my buddy went out with a 20ft seine and just kept walking the shore line. We pulled out over 300 bass that were in the 4in to 8in range with eggs. Then for a month (every other day) we dredged the bottom of the pond to kill of as many eggs as we could. We even went out and bought 20 Tiger Large Mouth Bass (they are a new cross breed) that were over 7lbs.

The following year, the bass fishing was awesome. I have not had a problem with it since. Plus now we caught bass in all sizes instead of just the dinks.

But this is just one mans........

18. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Now your talkin---Big bass eat little bass. Just be sure to harvest enough eaters. Your DNR guys should be able to tell you how many, of what size. I've not heard of a tiger largemouth hybrid; and as a fish guy, that's killing me. Could you PLEASE post either a picture or a description?? THANX

19. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I don't have any pics of me with one of them and I don't want to get in trouble for copywrite laws so here is a link to were I first heard about them.

http://donavanlakes.org/index.html

They are a F1 hybrid Strain from the Florida bass. They have been said to grow as much as 6 pounds in the first year. Don't know how true that is but the ponds in the link have caught multiple ones over 13lbs.

20. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Brad, my intention was only to help, but since you ask...

The bass in your pond were stunted because of inadequate food, improper pH, poor water quality, inadequate oxygen, or a combination of these factors, plain and simple. I've raised baby bass to over 8 inches in a 10 gallon tank before moving them to a larger tank or releasing them. Why would your bass only grow 4 - 6 inches in a 1/2 acre pond?

The world record white catfish was caught here in Sacramento at the William Land Park pond. The catfish was over 20 pounds and the pond is less than a 1/2 acre in size. Why did it grow so big? People are constantly throwing bread and other food into the pond to feed the ducks, and the pond is stocked on a regular basis with smaller catfish so the local kids can catch fish there. All this added up to an all you can eat buffet of various foods for that big boy, which is why he got so big. Here are some supporting links:

Map of the pond: http://www.cityofsacramento.org/parksandrecreation/parks/pdf-maps/area2_ParkFacilities8x11.pdf

The catfish: http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/AnglingRecords/Default.aspx

As to growth rate for tank raised verses wild fish, my channel cats, white cats, bullheads, bass, blugill, and carp all have grown at a phenomenal rate in captivity. Hatcheries also tank raise their fish and raising fish that grow faster than wild populations is the norm, not the exception. It is all about nutrition and water quality. If you want your fish to grow, you're going to have to vary their diet and pay attention to water quality, including pH, water temperature, and waste levels. Do you add sea salt to your tanks? At least 1 heaping TBSP for every 5 gallons of water, but you can double this to control fungal and ich infections. It always amazes me how few people know you must add salt to fresh water aquariums.

Here's a good read for anyone interested in improving fish growth in captivity: http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/il-in/as-503.htm

Brad, there are people out there who really, really know what they are talking about when it comes to raising fish. These are people with years of experience, some of which have strong backgrounds in the biological and chemical sciences. Here are just a few articles from said experts supporting the fact that fish do not "grow to fit their tank." Read a few. Your fish will thank you.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/size.php

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071107195843AASI520

http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=363

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11885.html&theme=Printer

http://www.gsas.org/Articles/1998/size-myths.html

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070515092222AAKNLP1

http://aquaweb.pair.com/forums/archives/loach2/index.cgi?read=23298