Pet catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by FordTruckGuySTX, Jun 9, 2006.

1. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    Got a thread topic idea from a post I just made in the flattie forum about the little 8 incher. I've usually off and on kept 10-15 diff species of catfish to the point a room looks like a pet store fish dept. I always wanted a flattie but was never able to get one. Wondered if anyone had much experiences with keeping one for a pet. I had several very beautiful channel cats, looking for another for our pond actually right now, and I also had 3 black bullheads I caught when they where no bigger than a crappie minnow, i finally released them into a buddies pond at 11" those things were viscious and would give my little map turtle's arms and legs heck. I also had a mean little channel i appropriately named Jaws, i had at one point kept a pickerel frog in the 29 gallon with him, he was about 5.5-6" long at the time, frog was a healthy adult, the channel cat grabbed him by the leg, drug him under and into his little catfish cave and drown the frog, he'd try to bite the crap out of you when handfeeding and wasnt the least bit afraid. But i love them for pets too, everything from the goofy upside down catfish to dwarf catfish. When I get a new home and more room I am planning on getting me a South American redtail cat finally, my buddy who had the petshop below my house had a nice big female that he sold when she was at about 40lbs. I bet a baby blue might even be fun.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My mom had over a dozen fish tanks while I was growing up, but I was never really into it. This idea though...

I might think about putting a few baby cats in a tank.

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i bet that would be bunches of fun to have some pretty catfish in a tank
    boy i wouldnt mind havin em!:lol:

4. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That sorta brings back memories.

When I was growing up in Wisconsin I had a little 10 gal I kept outside during the summer -- and I'd kept little young bullheads, sticklebacks, bluegills and such in there -- turned me on to keeping aquariums.

Since then, on and off over about 20 years I've had 4 or 5 other ones -- mainly freshwater, but a nice 42 gal hex that I turned marine once.

Well, anyway, about 8 years ago I had that same 42 hex set up as freshwater, and I had three young (under 6") channel cats in there, and a few odd small fish (that continually kept "disappearing"). Those little cats grew FAST! It was barely a summer and they were each a hair over a foot long (pound-ish?), and weren't shy at all -- would take all sorts of food (they liked fresh-tasting things best) from your fingers. Fun and easy fish to keep. Never even seen a flathead before, but I'd bet they'd be easy to keep, too.

One of these days I'd like to either set up a 55 gal I've got or (even better) get a 75 or 90 gal (48L x 18w x 21H) and make it a showcase for small catfish (blues, channels, flats, whatever) and other hardy local species (like bowfin, small gar, eels, bluegills). I think it'd be a hoot, quite eye-catching, and pretty easy to keep. Hmm... have to think about that when I start looking for a new place to live -- good spot for bigger aquarium... hmm...

Kevin (Skrod)

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I once caught 2 baby catfish in a net in a small river when I was a kid. Kept them in the fishtank till they were too big to fit in it. I think they were channel cat based on size/color. When they got to be about a foot long and way to big for a 20 gallon we let them go back in the same river.

I just found out yesterday my mom is downsizing her pet collection and offered me 2 50 gallon tanks, and 1 30. Gonna take all 3, and set 1 up as a fish tank, 1 as a terraium and 1 as a feeder colony of giant hissing roaches.

I figure in about a month it'll a good time to go look for some small catfish in the shallow parts of the river at night with a net.

I'd also like to catch another eel or two for a tank. In captivity they can get up to 5 feet long and live 85 years.

They dont do that in the wild because at between ages of 5 and 20 they migrate back 'home' to spawn. I take it they don't come back after that often.

I'd probably have to keep the eel seperate depending on the size of the fish I catch.

They're fun fish though and eat just about anything you can feed them. We used to feed them table scraps after dinner - they'll eat till they're too fat to swim and just lay on the bottom till they digest some.

~
    Brian

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I got a little flathead last year, about 5 inches long. Brought him home along with 7, 3 inch channels. I put them in my 20 gal. bait tank. Then I ended up buying a 75 gal aquarium and moved them into it. The channels ended up with ick and all died. But the flattie made it thru it. He is about 9 inchs long now, growing pretty slow. Easy to take care of though. I had to but a hollow log ornament in there for him, doesn't like light much at all. He is a pic of it hanging out below my flordia gar. Pic isn't the best took it with my phone.

Attached Files:

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    It might be cool to have like some bullheads since they dont get very big that way you can keep them as long as you want.What size tank would you recommend for say two bullheads?

8. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    Man,I bet kids would would get a kick out of it.Just think of the stories the old timers would tell,if they was looking at it.

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I already have alot of pets and my parents won't let me get anymore (not even a fish). I was thinking of getting a little 2" albino channel cat they have at PetsMart and putting it by itself in a 20 gallon long aquarium. Maybe when it gets too big and I put it in the lake behind my house, I could catch it someday :lol: . I could catch litle minnows and watch it attack! I did that with a baby bass and chain pickerel one summer and it was awesome!

10. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I kept those of mine in a 29 gallon tall tank, they cruised midwater and the surface, hardly ever went to the bottom. they would eat anything they could get in their mouth and claimed a couple baby largemouths i had in there but in the end...aint that what catfishin's all about.

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was just wondering what you feed them. oh the wife has a bunch of goldfish and other fish in there,they may not get along:roll_eyes:

12. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    They definetly like goldfish. They will eat pretty much anything you can think to feed them.

13. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree with ya'll keeping catfish and other kinds of fish are fun to watch.
    We had a 7 inch crappy in a fish tank and the kids named it archibal thay would put the live minnows that we had left over from fishing in there with him.
    Sometimes in the mornings we would have to pick dead minnows off the floor where archiebal would nock them out.

14. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think it would be cool but i don't want to half to go and buy minnows or gold fish to feed them and i didn't figure they would eat fish food.

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I had the little albino channel too they are a horrible thing for a pet store to sell because they grow so fast. At about 8-10" he would eat feeder goldfish and not just one or a couple. Seriously, a horrible thing to sell with a 10 gallon tank. Albinos are sensitive to light and when i would turn the lights on he would bounce off of the glass on 3 sides of the tank.

Madtoms are little catfish that are native and don't get that big. Tadpole madtoms are the smallest common one and only get about 3 1/2." They kinda look like a miniature version of a big flathead to me. After a couple of weeks they even swim around in the daytime.

16. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    We have a Flathead in a 75 gal tank. I put a Blue cat in there today and she is catching hell from that flattie. He grabs her by the tail and runs her off. I'd say he isn't willing to share the tank so she might have to move out. I have fed the Flattie minnows and small bream. He likes the minnows best for now. I'm going to try goldfish this week.

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I once had a small bass in my tank along with an Arrowanna. the bass was always jumping and one day jumped out while I was at work...:sad2:

18. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I heard this storie about a man that went down to a creek every day to watch the water go by. One day he was down there and he seen this big catfish so he throw it some food. So the next day the same thing happened. It went on like that for awhile and the catfish got to following the man out of water like a dog. One evening the man decided to go to town on the way to town he had to cross a wooden bridge that had a board missing. The man didn't know the catfish was following him till he heard splash. The catfish fell through the hole in the bridge and drown.

19. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do you guys think I could keep a small albino channel cat (3 inches or so at PetsMart) in a 10 gallon tank for a year or so and then release it in a pond?

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I just a 2lb 13 inch flathead in my 55 gallon tank. Do you guys think he will survive??? Anyone have sucess keeping flatheads????