Pest control

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Ulizth, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    How do you keep those nasty flying/stinging/biting/blood sucking things away? With all the choices on the market what really works? There are some good bug sprays but they have their drawbacks. I've tried citronella candles with seemingly little success. Seen those incense type coils. Zappers? Maybe I'm just too sweet!

I will be fishing off of a pontoon this year so something with an area of effect would be great. Yea I want everything.

:) :) :)

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Get anything with Deet in it, that seems to work good, for the pontoon they have a new thing out that works off propane. I hve sen that at some business entrances that are close to the water.

3. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Dont go out till bout midnite. Skeeters seem to go to roost bout then an come back out bout daybreak for an early mornin feeding.
    I didnt use any bug stuff till bout the last of september, last year. Meybe they were fattening up for hibernation.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Try putting on skin so soft. Avon makes it I believe. They come in towels also.
    Bill:)

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have to agree with lngbo anything with deet in it. Around here we have had a lot of infections due to mosquitos so I use it when I go to the field to fly or if I am bank fishing,so far I havnt needed it for when I am on the boat.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Its real simple. Just don't ask your relatives to go fishin with ya. Thats what I do! LOL!

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    The bugs are one reason I love my toon. I have pole holder on the rail the lantern hanger under them set so that it is about 6 inches from the water. That way the light doesn't shine in the boat. This serves as light to see the poles and attract the bait that are feeding on all of the little bugs cooking down on the hot lantern. You will want to be careful about getting you line into the lantern though. It will melt through mono quicker than a hot knife through butter. For really tough times I will use a Thermocell set by my feet and if that don't work I will spray a little heavy duty deet repelent that I mix out of 100% hunting spray and 30% fishing spray. I use this on my exposed skin and socks.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    LOL man i was waiting for someone to say that lol good one.

9. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Thanks for all the quick replies! I guess my wife will be stuck with repellant. It really doesn't bother me much but she hates it. Roger on the skin so soft, I knew that one because my wife is an avon rep also. Those traps that work with propane from what I have been able to figure out take weeks to work in an area (by decimating the local population) and I gess the pontoon would move around the lake too muck for that. Cranck out the SSS/DEET/citronella for another year! If anyone knows about the coils that you burn please post to let me know because I may like to try them this year.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Also, bug spray can be a turn off for catfish. I mean if you have it on your hands and then you put the bait on, the catfish can smell it on your bait and that is scientifficaly proven! I read it in one of the fishing magazines a couple years ago....just something to remember.;)

Zakk:)

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    The only thing I found effective for me was a spray that I get from where I work. It's 100% DEET. Strong stuff.

12. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Listen fellas,an old man once told me to get a sheet of Bounce fabric softener(the ones ya throw in the dryer)and clothes pin to yer hat.I had'nt tried it,I just spray on the deet.Had any y'all heard of this?

13. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Yes Zakk I agree. I have seen that pretty much proven in my experience also. At times I will resort to WD-40 to try to cover it if I have too much on but I don't know how much that helps.

14. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio

I've never heard that one. . . Gotta wonder if he was pulling your leg. Might look kind of silly with a dryer sheet on your head:) . Reminds me of the other day, I had one sticking out of my pant leg . . .:eek:

15. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    I always carry some of the mosquito coils with me when I'm bank fishing. They seem to do a pretty good job. Usually light one just in case so maybe there just weren't any skeeters to begin with. Couldn't really tell you.

I have also heard of the "Bounce" remedy. However, I heard to stick it in your pocket. Seems to me that would look a little better than attached to your hat. Never have tried it but it might be worth a shot.

The best remedy I have found is to fish where it is dark and there are a lot bats flying around. The bats eat everything before you get bit! Just be warned that it would be best to use a baitclicker as I have had many a false strike cuz of the bats hitting my rod tips.

16. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have heard some good things about a product called Thermacell. Its a battery operated thing. Dont buy the sonic ones, testing shows they attract more than repell. I spoke with a guy last year who had a Thermacell and he loved it. Didnt get bit once while I was by him.

I have also heard tomato juice works, tho dont really want to coat myself in it.

17. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Kent,
    I did some quick research on thermacell. It has peaked my interest. What I have read is all good so far. I must do further research on this later. It uses the same chemicals as the coils do but it is much more concentrated. It runs off of a small gas clynder to make heat and a small mat with the chemical.