pest control

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Oct 5, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wasn't sure where to post this. we're in bow season right now, and a lot of people have been getting mobbed on their corn by these feral goats that are moving into the area. it's like the hogs aren't a big enough problem, so now we have goats. i called the game warden and checked it out with him, and he said we could shoot all we want. i have shot mouflon and aoudad, and really enjoy it because it's so challenging to stalk these suckers. they are 5 times spookier than a whitetail. after a few failed attempts at getting close, we put an hour long stalk on this herd. there were all different mutt goats in this herd, but most looked like boers. we figured out they were coming into this field at the base of a bluff, and we couldn't get close because they had a lookout. we walked straight away and circled downwind of them in the salt cedars. we caught them in the salt cedars at the base of the bluff. the first one i got in the lungs and she ran up the bluff with the rest of them, then did a backflip from 20 feet up and died. shot was 35 yards. the next one was between two boulders at 45 yards and i double lunged her too. i was using my browning tornado bow, muzzy 125 grn broadheads, and beman ics 400 arrows. we got both of the goats to the vehicle a mile away and got them home and butchered. i don't know if they will be good or not, but i am not in the habit of wasting meat. if it's not good, i've killed my last two. if it's good, i can add another animal to the list of what goes in the freezer! in the one pic you have to maximize it to see them on the rocks after our second failed stalk. you can only see the white ones. you can also see a good view of where we bowhunt and why it is so hard. thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Jordan, I have heard of them, but not seen any yet. Wouldn't mind putting a couple up though. So I will be watching. Thanks for the post.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jordan good report and pic's , I was taught never to kill what you can't eat...But it might make some mighty good food for your dog's if you have any ?

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    good job Jordan. that sounds like it would be a good time there.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I always heard hogs are the main problem in Texas?

I wish I had about 50 of those goats on my back 40 to eat the brush :smile2:

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's really neat. I figure with all the exotic ranches in Texas, it's not going to be long before they'll be everywhere.
    As for eating them; I shot a goat at an exotic ranch once, & the owner(afterward!) told me they weren't really good to eat, so I gave him the carcass. If I had known beforehand about this, I never would have killed it.
    But, I did hear Ted Nugent say once on one of his shows that he cooked it, & it was good. There might be some info on his website.
    Just a thought.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh yeah, my two rottweilers eat a lot of meat and bones. i think they love hunting season more than i do! they are both well over 100 pounds and can clean up two boned out carcasses in a night. right now they have a couple leg bones and some gristle, and some of a ribcage. it'll be gone tomorrow.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    LOL Jordan's rottie's talking about goat:smile2: grrrrrr arrrrrrrr roooof rooooof grrrrrrrrrr burpppp ...in dog talk that mean's Damn thats some eat's right there :smile2:

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jordan I dont know about wild or feral goats but farm raised are good eating. Just season it and slow roast it over an open fire. Use some apple or hickory wood. Meat will just fall off the bone.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the way i processed it, it's going to be stew and chili meat. i know you have to cook them low and slow, so a crock pot should be just fine. this way, momma can leave my deer steaks alone! she is always making chili and stew with my deer and wild pork, whick is good, but i cut it up to go on the grill! :roll_eyes: thanks so much for the replies!

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Argentines are baby goat eating machines. Treat it like lamb. We cook it split open whole and roasted in front of a wood fire. Better than great!