Pertaining to live bait..

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Wyocatman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Back when i had a chance to fish in southwest kansas we used a lot of salamanders or mudpuppies with great sucess. My question is does anybody esle even try this kind of bait and in what part of the country? Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope, the only thing I have ever use for channels, is liver, worms, and minnows.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Bait shops used to carry them in Oklahoma... They make great Cat bait... Not sure if they do anymore. Down here in south texas they are not available.

Good luck and Tight Lines.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like something that would work, however here in Mo. they are not available to my knowlege, and so many of them are endangered that I wouldn't want to take the chance of getting busted.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Used them for channels here in Mo. several years ago. Worked real well. Haven't seen any for awhile. Don't know if you can still get them.

6. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks guys. I haven't found any around here. Back in Kansas (around dodge city, have family there) we used to find them in the window wells, the salamanders) and would seine the mudpuppies out of a shallow watering hole the cattle used.

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Never tried either but large leeches work well.