Personal Smallest Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by neocats, Oct 11, 2009.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I caught the smallest Flathead I have ever seen Friday night on the Ohio River. I didn't take a picture, but trust me, it was less that 10" long.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You will have to go back and get Momma.:big_smile:

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Not to steal your thunder, but I have you beat by a mile.

No joke, when I was a kid, I actually caught a baby Flat that was no bigger than the hook I was using. It was about as big as my thumb is now.

I guess what's even more weird than his size is, that I actually seen him hitting and set the hook. I was using a Mustad 5/0 long shank and a 1/2oz egg sinker.

Hey, I wonder if I can qualify for a BOC award for that? :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didnt do that hot either. I caught a 5 lber and a 3.3 lber Saturday night and lost one I dont know how big it was, and that was all.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    now thats a small flattie! ive caught a few that were so small that they had eaten my shad without me knowing it and i reeled them in and the only reason i caught them was cuz the bait was so big it was stuck in their throats and they were never hooked.....i bet they were freaked out going y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  7. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Hey now,With this years Flathead fishing, Or should i say lack of, flat head fishing (on there part,not mine)I glad im not the only one, but hey at lest you are reeling them in:crazy::crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2::cool2:

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to catch 1-3 inch ones under rocks by hand on long rock bottom flat on the creek, but i had a 10" long one in my horse trough for several months before it got stolen..poor otis

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The one I caught in my story: I actually didn't know I had a fish til it was to the boat. I got the bite, I set the hook, but thought it got away. At that size, it was no wonder.:big_smile:

10. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    ive caught some small ones fishing for channels with big reds. problably around 1 to 2 lbs

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Got one around 8" long probably 15 years ago. Thought it was a bullhead at first.