Personal Experience With Different Braided Lines

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by GaryF, Jan 8, 2008.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Just about every year I will spool up a reel or two with a new kind of braided line, always looking for something a little better. Just thought I would share my personal experience:

PowerPro – Definitely the best quality I have found. It is still my standard line. It’s tough out of the box as are several others, but it’s the only line I have found that I trust after a year or more of use. The color may start to fade, but the line is still in good shape.

Cabelas Ripcord SI+ - This is my “current” experiment, but I was already starting to see some wear on it after about 10 outings. Also, it has a “tracer” fiber in it that I’m afraid will increase abrasion on rod tips – it just feels rougher.

Spiderwire Stealth – Out of the box it seemed to be as tough or tougher than PowerPro, but it didn’t hold up as well and I retired it after one season.

Tuf Line XP – Same as the Spiderwire Stealth, promising for the first few months but it didn’t hold up.

Berkley Braid and Original Spiderwire – These never performed very well for me after being on a reel for a couple of months. It’s been 4-5 years since I’ve tried them, so it’s possible they have been improved.

Fireline – My experience was with an older version. It was very strong, abrasion resistant, and held up well, but was very stiff and waxy, and it tended to undercut into the spool even worse than other braids. I quit using it mostly because of it’s poor casting performance

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i like super braid it works well and cast well doesnt bury very easy

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    yea, I try it all and Power Pro holds up the best. Honestly I like it after its used a few times, it casts like thread. It does fade but thats expected, even the company says that. As far as digging...it doesnt...at all, unless you hold your spool and are snagged on a rock, LOL. You cant beat a line that lasts for over a year ( easy ) for $11.

-Jim-

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Gary I tried several also. Power pro is still my favorite also. I have three reels with it on that is starting there 4th year and still going. Not a bit worried about it.
    I also had good luck with cortland spectra braid. It doesnt have the waxy coating , more like thread. It is 5 years old and still very good.

I tried berkley whiplash. Not good at all. Wont hold a knot and the braid unravels really bad. Doesnt hold shape and buries it self terrible. So back to power pro, to me the best.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I agree POWER PRO is one of if not the best allround but i prefer BERKLEY GORILLA TUFF for rocky areas, it does not seem to snap as easy when rubbing on rocks under pressure, not to expensive either.

GOOD FISHING / SNAGGING FELLAS

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Will agree with the Spider wire stealth and original green,have never tried any other with the exception of the old fire line, and like you say I was to stiff and didn't like. Some others mentioned, I couldn't say. to much faith in the spider wire and have had no reason to change I guess, use the 80# on the river rigs, also like the 10 on the UL spinner for rippin the slabs and gills out of the brush. Guess it is just hard to change or try a different brand until this goes south, like all my mono is trilene xl I think it is the best going for my fishing. Lord knows ya can get a head ache quick looking and reading on the new lines every 6 months or so...... Good thread thanks
    R.

7. Fellman

Fellman New Member

State:
    Philly MYK
    I would really suggest sufix. Give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointted.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I was wondering if its round like power pro is ? I cant stand a flatter type braid. The " Gorilla "type I don't know anything about but I like hearing its good fishing in the rocks.

Thanks
    -Jim-

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got some Shakespeare Ugly Braid in 80# on one of my reels. It worked out well last summer and still looks good. I don't know if they still make it, I picked it up at the bargain cave in Cabela's. I think the fish in my avatar came off that reel, but I'm not sure. Everything else is 80# PowerPro. Had the same experience others related with Fireline when it first came out. I did like Spiderwire, I had it on a reel forever, but when that finally got too short (never did wear out, just lost a bunch over time from snags, etc) I had a spool of PowerPro handy, so that's what went back on.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I used my SI to tie Xmas packages with!!!!!:smile2:I use FINS IGFA 80 and have for several years with excellent results.Tried the STREN version but found it to thick but adequate.I am using SUFFIX on my bait catching rods and it is excellent also.I prefer a line that is white or yellow.The color fades on the yellows back to white so white is easier to start with.Is use green for my leaders.I like white because it is easier to see at night.Hadnt seen you on here in a while Gary ,good to see you back.:big_smile:

11. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i also tend to experiment with different lines. so far power pro and suffix are my favorites. stren power braid seems decent, but its abrasion resistance doesn't seem quite as good. i've used spiderwire stealth on my bass fishing stuff and i like it, but i haven't used it on my catfishing reels. i have tried original spiderwire on one of my cat rigs, and i took it off after a few times out because it would fray constantly. i have gorilla braid on a spinning real and haven't had problems with that, but i don't use it too often. i've tried different versions of fireline and never really liked it. i thought it was too stiff when its new, and after it softens up...the abrasion resistance was terrible. i had talked to a guy recently that swears by masons tiger braid. so i might spool up with that and give it a try this year. when somebody develops a braid that is truly abrasion resistent, they'll make a fortune on it. if rocks were the only worry, it would be great....damn those zebra muscles....as far as any braid that doesn't dig into the reel, i don't think there is a lot that can be done...i've had mono do the same thing. just make sure it's on the reel as tight as you can get it and always use a stick or something similar to pull out a snag.

12. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    try the new stren suffix braided line it holds a knot better then fireline. and ive caught salmon and hallibut on it and it doesnt unde cut into the spool.

13. darkthirty

darkthirty New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I gave up on braided line because it seems to float & then it just catches trash. The backlashes are next to impossible to get out. If you are unlucky and get hung on a rock the line either cuts your hand when you try to brake it off or it buries up in the spool. I still use it for leaders, bobberstops& distance marker on main line.

14. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I have Powerpro on all my catfishing reels and I love it. I just changed to the new red color this year but I had old line on for 3 years and it was still good although faded almost white (I had reeled it on other reels so I fished with other end) but is was still stong enough to either break my 50# mono hook leader or straighten my 7/0 Kahle hooks almost always when I got hung.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good post Gary, I have switched to 65 lb. power pro on my seven tournament rods and really like it. Have you or anyone else tried the hi-vis yellow? I've been thinking about trying it.

16. Fellman

Fellman New Member

State:
    Philly MYK

I am not in your shoes so I don't know you fishing technique, but the flaoting in my eyes would just be a case of slack line. To avoid that just keep the line tighter when setting in your holder. To avoid backlash just keep your thumb on the line slightly and stop the spool at impact(practice makes perfect on that). The snags are easy, all you need is one good leather glove for the break, try not to use your rod and reel for the sake of the equipment. Hope this can help.

17. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    exactly, not only that, but mono floats too so the braid isn't to blame there. they do make a few braids that do sink like rapala titanium core or any other braid that uses a mix of spectra and dacron. as far as backlash, any line will backlash if you don't know how to use a bait caster. but after you learn the intricacies of the reel, if a backlash does occur, pull out the line toward the rod until it gets hung up. put your thumb on the spool (hard) and reel in 5 or 6 turns and then pull it out again. repeat this several times and most backlashes will come out, if it doesn't, pull a few of the loops out the back of the reel. again, getting those nasty birdnests out just take some experience. the first time i ever spooled up with a superline i found out that the stuff can be like razor wire on your hands. in fact i think i cut myself with the stuff while i was spooling it up. use gloves if you're going to rap it around your hand or better yet, use a branch, broom handle, something like that. i always have one in the boat for that situation. like fellman said, do it for the sake of the equipment. no matter if it's 80lb superline or mono, if i'm trying to pull it out of a snag using my rod and reel, its going to dig into the spool. that much pressure is going to dig anything into the spool. besides that, having a line that will readily cut through stuff isn't a bad thing when fishing heavy weeds and lily pads....

superlines are just another tool in fishing....they have their place like everything else.....you don't go out and buy a 1oz flipping jig and get p***ed when you can't fish it like a frog.....you find out what it's good for and use it to suit your needs....

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds good Gary. I try different line each year as well. This year I am going to be doing my experiment a little different. All my rods are going too get spooled with the same stuff. That way it’s a fair experiment. Seems like you always have that one rod on a given night or day that catches or has more bites.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Johnny I have tried the hi viz yellow and like it alot particularly at night.Unfortunately no one has figured out how to make braids color fast so eventually they all fade to white or gray.Thats ok with me because I actually favor the white due to being able to see it at night.I do use green braid for my leaders however.:big_smile: