"Personal best"..what does that mean?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by metalfisher, Aug 7, 2006.

1. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    On this site and on others I have been to, there are always comments on "best fish" or "personal best". If you read most of these, it is clear that it generally refers to the physical size of the fish. I think this falls way short of "personal best or best fish".

To me, "best fish" refers to a place, a time that replays in your memory and you think, "Thankyou Lord for that day".

In 1975, I was stationed at Biloxi, Ms. One day I took my wife, Debbie to one of the piers to fish. She was using a Zebco 202 rod & real. As we walked to the end of the pier, we met a man carrying several black drum around 20#. Debbie says, "I am going to catch one of those".

Sure enough, she hooked into one! She was yelling help me, help me! I kept telling her, "No honey, you can do it!" (I did reach over and loosen the drag so it wouldn't break off.) She fought it until it finally gave up. We have pictures in an album and she still tells me about the 20# fish every few years. Lord, thank you for that day.

Some years later, I was fishing with my oldest son Kevin. He was probably 8 at the time. We were fishing for bream and he was using a long extendable crappie rod, maybe 16 feet. He hooked into something big.

The rod is bent down and he is yelling! I knew I had 20# trilene so I wasn't afraid of the line breaking. As long as he wasn't pulled in he would be alright. It has been over 20 years but I can still see his eyes bugged wide open as he fought the fish. I kept telling him, "You can do it son!".

He finally backed away from the water and literally drug the 5# channel onto the bank. We have pictures in an album and I can still see the grin.
    Lord, thank you for that day.

There is one fish that I think of that always brings tears to my eye. I will have to call it my personal worst and will never forgive myself.

My youngest son, Steven was probably 6 at the time. We were in north Arkansas helping n'laws siene a man's catfish pond. The water had been pumped down some but the pond was still a good size. Those who weren't helping siene were using dip nets to catch any cats that happen to swim close to the top.

I saw Steven splashing around a the other end in knee deep water and didn't think nothing of it. He kept running around and back and forth.
    Eventually we hear him yelling and see him walking toward us on th bank.

He is bear hugging this huge Amur carp. It is so big, he is walking bow legged with it dragging between his feet. Probably 40 inches and 40#. He is yelling, "I caught it! Its mine, its mine! I caught it!". The boy was happy! Until, the man took it and put in into the other pond.

Why didn't stop him!? If I could go back, If I could do it over, I would pay a high price for that fish. Steven was crushed. I let him down. Lord, thankyou for that day, but, forgive me.

Those who want to talk about "best" fish in regard to size are free to do so. But, if you want to talk to me about my "personal best fish", don't expect me to talk about size.

Robert

2. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Amen brother! Couldnt agree more

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Reminds me of one summer my mom came up to visit me with my grandmother and sister. I took them out to a lake and rented a pontoon boat and we were anchored in a shallow bay catchin sunnies and this large bass was swimming right besides the boat and my mom kept droppin her bait near it and it didnt want anything to do with what she was offering but she was determined to catch it. She kept bonkin that poor bass in the head until it finally had enough and nailed the bait as we watched. One of my most favorite pictures is of my mom holding that big bass like a lil kid with their first fish.

There are fish you remember for how fun they were, or how hard you worked to catch it, or how long you have been after a large fish and often times personal best coincides with all of it.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I had never thought of it that way and want to thank you for shareing and showing me a new point of view.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    There are many ways of evaluating a fish. I think the accepted meaning of 'personal best', in the context of a profile is indeed weight.

The actual meaning of personal best, and discovering not only your own, but that of others, is the magic of the brotherhood!

For example, my personal best (as you described it) isn't a fish I caught either. It was the 36# blue my boy caught, and more importantly the look on his face both during and after the battle, as well as when he really remembers the experience.

Excellent post!

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    my ''personal best'' was the first channel cat my wife ever cought fishing with me

7. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    my personal best would have to be when i was bait fishing with my daughter she was about 14 months old and she reeled in my pole and had a lil gill on it. that is something i will never forget. she prolly wont remember but i will and it was great.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Pete that 36# fish was probably one of my personal bests too because they're not many people that appreciate a fish like that quit like Boog did.To hear him monin and gronin was pretty cool.My wifes first blue 37lbs when she had to let the rod lay on the side of the boat to keep it from pullin it out of her hands I couldnt hardly net the fish I was laughin so hard.Last but not least the 4 1/2 lb channel cat I caught out of my grandpa's when I was 3 is the one that got me hooked on catfish every since.

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    LMAO.... Man o man Robert the Metal fisher, I recon its all in the eye of the beholder..... appearently you aint been holdin a big cat lately....... :big_smile: So therefore I agree to disagree. PB is for all classes of fish wether it be a 6 oz perch or 1500lb shark. In yer reference I would say that maybe yers is a PB Memory........ on this site mostly, and in circles of friends I believe it to be catfish..... So Robert the Metal fisher, come out the "shallows" Put a skipjack head on a 10/0 kahle and put a PB in yer corner........ Its all in fun and in 100 years who is gonna care........... Mac :roll_eyes:

10. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    OK Mac,

Maybe my "personal best" in the fishing world, was a 9 1/2 330# shark. But, it recalls no good memories other than I caught it.

So you catch them & Ill fry them..!!! :) But them big cats is sooo slimy.

It doesn't hurt to get mellow every once in a while.

Robert

11. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    My best fishin' trip is always the next one, cause i don't know what it will hold. I have some favorites, like the trip with ChrisBlue, because of the memories. But there is always something special about the next one.

Thanks metalfisher, this has been fun.

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In reguards to personal best Ill throw my experience in. My brother Jody used to fish in a stock pond in a field behind our house. The pond I would guess was between 15-25 acres. It was a 1/2 mile walk to the pond. He caught a 14 pound black bass and hauled the thing back home. We had a small pond which he used to keep the fish alive. He had it mounted,unfortunitly at that time either photo mounts werent popular or were not around yet, so the fish did ultimately die. A few years later my brother passed away in a car wreack June 12, 1998. My dad has that fish along with a picture the day he caught it, in his office at work. That was his personal best.

13. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    You are right Robert, it's in the memories that things are best. Buy the way, nice bird in your avatar.

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    9 1/2' 330lb shark... Man How did that feel? I have never gone deep sea fishin, I did catch a small hammerhead one time out of Corpus Christi,TX. off of Bob Hall Pier. What kind of shark was it Robert. How long it take to get it to the boat, Im intrigued, Tell me more........ Mac :cool2:

15. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Early 1980's I went back to southern Florida on business. Since I had to stay across a weekend I contacted an old Buddy, Wayne Doughby.

We launched out of Bay Front park east of Homstead, cruised across the bay through Ceaser's creek and on out to Pacific Light tower. We got there about 45 minutes before dark so I jumped in and snorkled around until dark. Shallow water was about 30' but it rolled off into no-man's land dark water.

After it got dark, Wayne set a coleman lantern on the bow and we began to fish for snapper. Wayne and his wife, Karen where catching 3 - 5 # snappers using shrimp and cut bait. I caught a rock, a piece or coral and a small morey eel.

I couldn't feel the bites. The rod they loaned me had a roller on the tip and what looked like weed-eater line on the baitcaster reel. The tip of the rod was about the size of my little finger. Anyway, I wasn't adding anything to the cooler.

Suddenly the rod jerks hard and the reel begins to squeal out line. It squealed & squealed until I thought I was going to get spooled. It finally stopped and I started gaining line back. Wayne & Karen had to stop fishing because what ever I had was circling the boat. Around & around it went.

After about 15 minutes, we start seeing a white gray shadow circling the boat. The was no spot light it the boat and the lantern casted a small circle of light so we couldn't see clearly until it was up next to the boat.

We were in an 18 foot open fisherman type boat and the water was calm.
    I don't think the shark was beaten, I think he was bored with the whole ordeal. I was standing near the middle of the boat at the side and he stretched out passed the transom. He just hovered there beside the boat slowly swinging his tail.

I don't think he was 2 feet wide, but he was close. His lateral fins stretched out like wings; his head probably 14" wide. Bull shark I think.
    Wayne figured he was 500# but I think about 330# so that is what I claim. No doubt about the 9 1/2 feet length though.

Wayne had this idea to shoot him with a small one banded speargun he had. I figured it would probably make it mad so I vetoed that idea. I reached down and pulled the line up with my hand and the hook simple straightened. He hung there for a few seconds then just eased away.

Karen says, "You was just swimming around out there!"

The end.

Robert

16. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This post really makes you revalueate your point of veiws... Great post i may say.. but my personal best would be the first time i took my fieance fishing with me for the first time and she hooked into a 8 pound Blue within 5 mins of fishing... I hear about that Catfish everytime i walk out the door to hit the river or any fishing hole i go to... She caught it on a $11.00 pole from walmart on 10lb test spiderwire..... but the way she acted during her fight with this fish and the smile that came across her face once i grabed that fish was priceless.... And to top it all off she took it off the hook and released it to catch another day..... Did i ever mention how much i love fishing.....

17. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Ok my personal best was back when i was in the military stationed at Jacksonville fl. We were at this bar and i seen her on the other side of the dance floor. 6' tall, Blonde, Blue eyes... Ohhhhh wrong personal best... My fault...... lol

18. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that was a good one Savage308..... I almost started mine like that.... lol..