Personal best blue (50+lb)! Caught July 1st

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by huntsfromtree, Jul 2, 2007.

1. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Finally caught a monster blue. Sunday night a buddy and I made it out to the Missouri and started out at a hole I have caught some decent flatheads previously. At 9:20 I landed a dink flatty. We had no more bites by 11:00 and decided to move up river. Found a good hole and set up by 11:20. Less than five minutes later the clicker sounded and the fight was on! Thirty Minutes later the battle was over and I was holding my biggest blue cat. She weighed in at 50 pounds on a junky, inaccurate scale. I honestly think it weighed around 60 lbs. To make matters worse I only got two poor pics cause my camara battery was dead and released her to fight agian. Anybody reccomend a good quality scale?. Hope the pics show up. Good Fishin'.

Attached Files:

2. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    That's a monster blue! Congrats.

3. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Thanks Bob, I wish I could have got an accurate weight and better quality pics but it was a battle I will never forget. Good fishin.

4. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thats a great fish thanks for sharing

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Nice blue congrats I never caught a blue but would say that fish is bigger than 50 pounds.

6. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Thanks guys. Mark I too believe it was well over 50 lbs and wish I had got a length and girth measurments but just took the two pics and let her go. Good fishin'

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey congrats Jeff. I hope its just the beginning.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    As long as you are not in the same tourny as me.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Congrats, That is a hawg. One day I hope to get on that big

10. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    Congratulations, on one heck of a blue...

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Good job - bet that was fun...

Did you get some measurements - length, girth? Might help confirm the weight or at least an approximate range...

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sweeeeet fish, man. I have a set of Berkely digitals that seem to work well, but they only go up to 50#. Not sure if they make 100# or not.

13. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Thanks everybody for the comments. Anyone reccomend a quality scale? Good fishin'

14. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Marty, No I didnt get any length or girth measurments. I wish I would have. I will be buying a high quality scale this week for the next monster cat. Good fishin'

15. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man thats one huge fish.. !!

Nice job bet it put up one heck of a fight:big_smile:!

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice 'UN! Way to go!

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Way To GO!

That one will reside in your mind'e eye for as long as you draw breath and can tell the tale...
    :still_dreaming::still_dreaming:

18. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    By measuring the length of fish, multiply that number by the girth squared then divide that by 800

Ive found this to be accurate to the tenths of pounds.

19. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Nice blue.

Last year I bought a 120 lb digital scale. It's small but accurate. Do a search on e-bay for "120 scale" without the quotes.

It sure came in handy in May when we caught a 71 lber.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    One of the BOC sponsors, Coffey Marketing, makes a nice digital scale that seems to be very accurate. I've had mine for a year or so and it really comes in handy. They say it's not completely water proof, but I've left mine in the not-very-dry rod box in my boat for months now with no issues.

Make sure you weigh a big fish in a landing net -- don't ever hang them from the jaw and poke a hole in their mouth just to get a weight so you can brag about it... If you can't weigh them properly, just take a length and girth and call it good enough...

Having the length measurement would have been nice, as you could then apply for an In-Fisherman Master Angler award (see their web site) -- you'd also be able to get a Missouri Master Angler award, both of which are nice for comemmorating a great catch like that.