persimmions - Caught the heck out of Channel Catfish with this bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by willybob, Oct 8, 2008.

1. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I baited a trotline today with persimmions and caught the dang fire out of
    the channel cats. Biggest one wasn't but about 6 pounds but I caught enough fish for a good sized family get together. Has anyone else
    used these little sweet gems for bait. I might be back tommorow with a bucket ,sugar, and some yeast.:wink:

2. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Willybob,I have heard they work but never tried them.Did you use green ones or ripe ones.One persimmion per hook or did you cut them up?I know that about everything that walks in the wild eats em,people included.I sent a fella in New Hampshire some 1 1/2 in square blanks of persimmion wood to make some surf casting striper plugs

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    this is very interesting. Anything is possible I guess.

4. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    They very ripe and soft just about couldn't keep a circle hook in em
    I used them whole. They are about the size of a gumball. The tree is out
    in the water about knee deep I bet the cats are gourging themsevles sick
    on these fruits. I'm going to make a little wine I do believe. The persimmions were so sweet smelling but just to bitter tasting to eat many of. Hope they'll drink better than they eat.

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Very interesting, I have a tree in the back that is overloaded with them...might have to give it a try. I usually pick them up when I can and drop em around my deer stands...

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive heard about that good to know it worked for you, Thanks, also ive heard if you find a muskadine vine over the river that has fruit on it you can do the same thing with them:cool2:...
    puddle

7. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I couldn't catch a catfish one on chicken liver, shad, worms or minnows.
    I guess the thought behind this is that you have to use what their feeding on at the time. Had it been June/July it could of been blackberryies. I caught a fish just as soon as I got to my 5th or 6th
    hook. When I started out the first three hooks nearest the tree were baited with persimmons then a minnow head then one or two hooks of chicken liver. Thats when I felt a big ol tug on the line. I thought it was the hook that had the minnow head beacuse thats what I use the most and have the best luck on. Anyway thats a lesson to not be afraid to do
    something different even if you don't think it'll work out. I hope everyone has a safe week and the best of luck:wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    While fishing the Ohio River a few years ago we came upon some trees of Persimmons located near the waters edge. The fruits were falling into the water and the fish were having a feeding frenzy. We baited some ripe ones on kahle hooks and caught several. Yes it works.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thats a new one to me. Thanks for sharring. That will be another new bait I'll be trying.

10. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Ohhh boy... half dozen persimmon trees in the bend of the driveway that deer, coons, possums and who knows what else always eat, and a huge muscadine vine in the yard....Dang.. I know what kinda bait I'm gonna try next. Thanks for the tip:wink:

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have heard it all my fishing life, use the bait that the fish is feeding on!!

12. shifty

shifty New Member

State:
    tennessee
    well i knew the deer love 'em, but i didn't know the catfish would love 'em too lol i will have to give them a try. thanx for sharing.

13. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have heard of people using them along the missouri river, but other than that i havent tried them personally or have ever seen anyone using them, i may give them a whirl this spring.

14. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I guess that I am going to have to do some research. I am not real sure what a persimmions looks like. :eek:oooh:

15. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    I dont know how they work for bait but anybody raised in the country around here can tell you make SURE its ripe before you taste it.You talk about bitter!!!!! It will make a flathead mouth feel like a carp.:smile2:

16. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The one thing I remember about eating to many is they tend to give you the runs and a heckofa belly ache. When there ripe though they taste good in cookie recipes.

17. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The subdivision I live in has a small 3 acre lake and about one hundred acres of woods. In an open field about 30 yards from the lake is a grove of 16 persimmon trees that bear fruit. I've tried them and they do work well. The smell they have makes me think they would do well
    on a trotliine. The woods has other small persimmon trees that I have used to make walking sticks. They seem to be quite sturdy and the wood grain is some of the prettiest I have ever seen. A little bit of stain brings it out very nicely. Some manufactures use the wood for part of the facing on golf clubs so I imagine it is pretty strong wood.

I save the persimmons in the fall (ziplock bag and then in the freezer) and then use them in the spring and summer.

Ralph

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for the tip on freezing them. Had never heard of that but guess I'll have to give it try.

19. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I have a grapefruit tree.....Humm!
    Wonder if they like them too ??

20. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I do know for sure they eat persimmons and they eat the fire out of them:eek:oooh: the last 4 trips out the eaters we keep (which aint many fish are scarce) they been spitting up seeds in the live-well and i mean a bunch...never tried them on a hook seems like it would be difficult especially if your casting......might get some ripe ones and put them in some punch bait though:0a36: