Perry spillway

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Shawn, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I hear perry is letting out alot of water from the spillway. I might just have to head north this weekend and give her a shot.:crazy: I have been told they are letting it out like crazy so please be safe if you go out there.:wink:

2. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    2500 cfs

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great place to net shad. Put a 100' rope on your cast net and cast it in the corners where the water break is. I've pulled in nets clear full of big shad when they are letting out water like that.

4. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    ya or down by the park on the other side of the dam is good for shad as well if you don't get them in the spill way. good luck.:wink:

5. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've never had any luck in the park area for shad but thanks for the tip!

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was noticing that two of the Kansas State Record fish are from the Perry spillway. Any guesses on what species of fish?

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    White Crappie, and Drum? I don't know I could go look it up but what good would that do:wink::smile2:

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Good guesses, but wrong on both :smile2:

9. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good find Gary, I would have never guessed. I would say the answers, but kind of had to cheat to get them :wink:

10. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm almost certain the state record annoying gar came from the spillway at Perry. I have no clue on the other one how about Walleye! LOL

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Gar is correct for #1, a 31.5lb longnose gar. But the other one is not a walleye. :tounge_out:

The gar is the one I would have missed, I already knew about the ________. :wink:

12. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas

The gar record has been up there for a long time. I remember the first time Shelby and I caught some gar at Marias Des Cygnes river. We were like what the heck is that? Broke the tip off a fillet knife trying to cut one open. Shelby caught a 5 or 6lb blue off the gar's guts though! :eek:oooh:

13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok I couldn't resist, I went and looked up the answer. I never would have guess ________! :eek:oooh:

14. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I had to look it up too. That is interesting.
    I also did not know the record Channel came from the strip pits.
    One thing seems really strange! It says the record paddle fish came out of a pond in Atcheson county....whats up with that?

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Alan I believe that spoonie was caught at an oxbow lake. If so, it must have got in there when the river came way up and spilled into there. Probably back in '93, that would give it 11 yrs to get big. I guess we'll never know. Anyway, here is a pic of it.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/18609_270.jpg

16. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I lived in Atchison when that fish was caught. It came from watershed dam 7 in Atchison right behind the Nation Guard Armory. Dam 7 is a little pond/lake only a few acres. It was caught by Clinton Boldridge. The Boldridge's catch a lot of big fish every year. He hooked it in the mouth with carp bait. The idea is not that the fish was eating the bait rather swimming along and sucked the bait in. The fish is not only a state record but the current world record aswell. :eek:oooh:

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dam 7 is not an oxbow lake it is a flood control lake. The river can't reach there.

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    At one time, that spoonbill was listed for sale on Ebay for something like $10,000 - frozen solid..

19. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think the other fish was a wiper. If I remember right it was a world record for the size of line it was caught on?

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    We have a winner on species #2 :009: I didn't know about the line class record though.