Perry Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BowieKnife357, May 7, 2009.

1. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Fished Perry for the first time last weekend, tied into some nice channels. Kept a few for the freezer and found baby snapping turtles inside the stomachs of two of them, and the third one was jam packed full of crawlers, and inside the ball of crawlers were two beercan tabs of all things. Never seen that before. Thinking about trying for some more channels during the day and some flatties at night this weekend, anyone else doing any good up there? If yall are keeping anything, what are you finding in their stomachs? The ones I kept got me all curious now.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Goes to show that they will eat anything. Mean, hungry SOBs I tell ya.
    Are you up there for awhile, or do you keep drivin up there? Your fishin all over the place.:smile2:

3. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Drove up there. Actually went to go look at a boat by KC and stopped to fish Perry as an after thought on the way home. Also got some family in Lawrence and looking for transfer to KU some time in the relatively near future, so Perry makes a good multi-purpose trip. Gonna try Clinton one of these days too.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Lots of good fishin up that way. I wish it wasnt such a drive.:sad2::smile2:

5. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, drive is kinda long unfortunately, but it seems like you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a big lake or river up there in that area.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Stuart, Perry is dumping alot of water right now, and I hear they are going to increase it. The flatheads should really start moving up there soon, if they arent already there. If I was you , thats where I would be fishing. Ill be out there in the next couple of weeks. Good luck.

7. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Keith is right - lake is high and they had the gate open to 6000cfs yesterday - won't know till 8 what it's at now - below the dam will be red :wink:hot shortly - I'll be hitting it off and on till the flats move up there - I'll try to pm with info off and on or I can post it on here - I've caught most my bigger fish there in late may and early june - if you've never tried fishing jiggs with light line for flats ya have to give it a try - as for fish up on the lake I caught a few last weekend that were full of beetles / worms / and small fish - the biggest (pushing 8lbs) had only fish in it.

8. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Never done the light line for Flatties, don't know if I'm brave enough LOL. I'll definately have to see whats going on below the dam. As for the jigging flatties, I've been kinda curious about that. I've never done it or seen it done, but I've heard and read about it alot. Just like jigging for white bass but on a larger scale kinda?

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Here in a week, we can all meet up down there, and do some jigging.:big_smile:

10. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Tuttle Creek is also ideal for jigs right now.

I have had the best luck with a single 1 oz. giant twister tail, or auger tail plastic worm. Caught 4 up to 28lbs in two hours a few years ago at the same release rate.

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    As for the light line.... well....65lb PP has been working for me, with a 3 ft Ande 30lb leader on the business end:cool2:

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Whats up you guys, I went out to Perry yesterday evening about 5 and kill on the crappie and channel cats down at the spill way. I probably caught my limit on crappie in about 40 mins... I also brought in 6 channel cat from 5-11 pound range... the water was running really good, i netted a bunch of big shad too... i need to hit it again soon.

13. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the info - it's time to stock up on some fresh shad - no more store baught crap - do ya know where any flatheads up in there yet? Water maybe a little cool yet but I don't think it will be long - thanks again for the post!!!

14. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about going up to the spillway there in a little while if anyone is interested.

15. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Went out to the spillway yesterday and all I caught was a single white bass. I netted a few good sized shad and also a bunch of crappie and drum. Let all of them go of course. Couldn't get any crappie to bite though. They are letting out around 5000 to 6000cfs I think and man was that thing rolling. I couldn't imagine seeing it at around 10000cfs.

16. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Where were you fishing at when you were there

17. JustinGarner

JustinGarner New Member

State:
    Topeka, KS
    I'm thinkin' about taking the wifey up there tonight. I'm having trouble deciding between Perry or the Kaw up in Lawrence. If I get lucky I'll put some pics up here.

18. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    I was fishing on the west side of the spillway by the concrete wing.

19. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    We were on the south end of the Delware oxbow Tue. night with night crawlers. Couple of big carp and drum, no cats. Who you call to get the Delware River boat ramp cleaned? We had to put in at Old Town, lol.

20. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    The wife and I caught 3 (2 yellow, 1 flat) pan size (18") this afternoon 6-11-09 on Perry Dam by the inlet structure. Worms and Perch fishing on the bottom. No bite’s on the river pole.