Perplexed angler?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    About two months ago it was me and my uncle fishing the kentucky side of the ohio river and we had a three lines get tangled. I wasnt sure if it was one of mine lines or not so i just left my line in the water and let him untangle his mess. I was using a circle hook with a bait castor that didn't have a clicker so i just left my reel on free spool when all of sudden my line start shooting out going upstream. When i set the spool the pole got hammered and then my drag started to come out then it all went slack and i sadly reeled in to see what appeared to be the line snapped. Thats when i looked down to my right to see my hook and leader siting on the deck where my uncle had just cut it out of the tangle. This realy confused me cause something had hit my loop of line left in the river and took off.
    I never got what ever it was to stop and if it was going down stream i would have said it was just a log but it was going upstream. Ive heard of sturgen and big spoonbills coming out of the ohio. Could one of them snaged on my line? Any thoughts or similar experiences? :confused:

2. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    i think your uncle was havin a lil fun with ya and pullin on your line.....lol
    watch ya get all excited

Possibly it was that third line in the water that had the fish?
    With the tangle in the lines that would bring tension on all 3 rods.Your uncle may have cut the line to avoid being hurt by the hook/hooks in the tangled web.

I been out blue fishing on party boats and it happens all the time,5-6 lines or more all tangled in a mess.One guy would get a fish on and you'd seee 5 other guys think they have one too.Noones really sure until you get the fish up and see a mess of line.Must of lost 150 yards of line that night cause they simply cut all the lines except for the one with the fish.

3. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    We had four lines in the water and three hooks in the boat the one that was in the water was on the other side of the boat. The reason he cut the line was it was tangled over the other two and somehow while getting it untied it got caught in the net so he cut it. I was on the upstream side of the boat and the line was being pulled farther upstream of the boat.