Permanent Deer stands

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeffw51, Sep 29, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    how many of you build or hunt out of permanent stands.on the farm i used to hunt on, i built twenty stands and they were productive year after year,i had a map drawn and the stands numbered it was a great system.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    On the farm I hunt, we have about a 8 permanent ladder stands and about 20 area locations designated as stand placement locations. The farm is around 3000 acres or more, so they are fairly spread out for the 20 hunters or so that hunt there. A couple of years ago, I got a recent satellite photo of the farm and mounted it in a frame with glass front. Each named area is tagged. On the side of the map, is a section for sign in. every hunter on the farm must sign in with his name next to a letter of the alphabet, a,b,c, etc.... Each hunter chooses his location to hunt, then using a dry erase pen, marks on the glass over that location, with his alphabet letter. That way, we all know where everyone else is at any given time. We are not allowed to move or change locations for that morning or evening hunt. The purpose has two main advantages. First off, safety. By marking on the photo, where we are, we can assure we are not too close to another hunter. The other main reason is should anyone fail to return to camp, whether for there being an injury or needing help getting a deer out, we know where to go to look for them.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love Permanent Salt treated stands. Big ones for two hunters and gear including railings to level a gun or crossbow across, plus keep me from falling out. I wrap mine with black erosion silt fencing and then brush with cedar like a duck blind in a tree. ts what I prefer and my brother and I have them all over creation.

That said.....They need to be thoroughly checked for safety every year.

I am a volunteer hunter safety instructor in VA. In Virginia more people are hurt in tree stand accidents than all other types or hunting accidents combined.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would consider all of my lockons and climbers permanent stands.
    They stay on the trees.:big_smile:

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We hunt out of box stands (permanent) on one of our leases almost all the time. We have a few single ladder type stands that we can move; we also have a couple of 2man ladder stands--1 of them is set up as a permanent stand. I also hunt off a tripod stand that has been in the same location for about 4 years.
    We like the box stands especially for bad, cold weather; and we have three grandkids that are starting to hunt, so it helps when they get fidgety or sleepy!!
    We've killed just as many deer off those stands as any temporary we've ever used.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i built mine. i have a tv, refriderator, and all kind of good stuff in it. i stay in it all the time. when season opens i just ease the window up and let it fly.:smile2: o yes we been know to tip one over in the yard before.:wink: fresh meat right out the kitchen window! i seen 10-12 differnt bucks out of it last year and i got my eye on a nice one for this year too. just a matter of time. :still_dreaming:

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive got one wooden ladder stand and the material for another one. Good advice on checking your stands every year, I usually replace the floor on mine every 5-6 years whether it looks like it needs it or not. I also have 3 metal ladder stands, two are in use. Then there is the portable ground blind which is nice on rainy, windy days. There is also the comfortable trees that I just sit down next to that seem to work just as good as the stands I spend money on. As long as your comfortable and can keep still any stand can work.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeap, I'm another that uses/used perm stands. I like it because you can make them how you want.

9. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I really like permanent box stands. We have 3 on our land that we us every year in rather open areas. They have a cushioned seat and about 3" sidewalls to help in the frigid cold. We also have a few portables that we use in our party as well.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mine are permanent only for one season. I will change with the activity and flow of deer movement. But I will usually leave one up just to mess with the deer thinking I havent noticed their new trail around it. To bad deer cant really think!!!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    After a couple of years mine become permanent regardless of deer patterns.
    You ever tried to get screw in steps and a lockon out of the blackjack oak it grew into 30 feet off the ground?:big_smile:
    Replace the chain as needed and continue on.

Buy another lock on and steps or do as I do. Go buy a couple of 100 feet of 1/2 and 3/4 tubing and spend a Saturday cutting and welding and buy the steps by the case.

12. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

I bet every logger in your neck of the woods would love to get their hands on your neck!!! I dont give a dam what it would take I'd never ever leave something in a tree that in the future could kill someone!!! You ever hear of strap on steps? or strap on ladders? You know there is more to deer hunting than just pulling the trigger!!! Do the right thing and remove that crap!!!

13. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    when and if i use a permanent stand and im done with it i take the old chainsaw to it and remove it.

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had a huge walnut tree in my yard in Missouri. I called a logger and he came to look at that tree and said that baby would be worth 3 grand if it wasnt in my yard. I looked at him and he explained more than one person had been injured or killed by nails, railroad spikes, screw in deer steps. He said being the tree was in yard it probably had been a clothes line pole, fort, and etc. and it wasnt worth taking the chance with a life at stake let alone a 5 grand veneer blade. I agreed. And to those of you who use screw in steps if you give them a 1/4 turn every 3 months the tree doesnt gets its grasp on them.

15. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    my perm stands are all either tripod or box stand. no nails or steps or even trees. the tripods are all mobile so you can get them into the woods and they work great. as far as bow season i used to use steps that screw in but after a week one there not allowed any longer on my property anylonger. ratchet strap ladders are the only and safest way to go. easier to take down at end of season and put them in the barn and if you do leave the stand it harder for the idiots to get on them and it takes to much most of the time to steal them. just my two cents worth

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I usually bring a portable ladder stand, or borrow a permanent one thats not bein used. I hunt North Minn. and a lot of the permanent ones fell apart, or were taken down, there was a time when it wasn't legal to build or use them so they got in kinda bad shape. Last year I used a really good one, its about 6 1/2 feet up, and kinda camouflaged, never see it if I wasn't lookin. I guess thats why it never got destroyed. got a couple deer in that area, its real brushy, so its good to be off the ground for visibility. Got to take out personal property every nite, but i don't think anyone takes ladder stands out cause they are noisy to move and just a pain to haul in and out. We take it out when we leave. I had made one like a ladder stand, it was heavy, and I moved it to relocate it the next year, someone else picked it up and put it in an area where a stand ain't really needed, I wouldn't shoot towards the road too, but I left it there, I don't need a stand in midday.

17. wowsafari

wowsafari New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hunt from my box stand alot and have killed several deer from it. Here is a pic, sorry it's not a better pic.

stand2.jpg