Periodic fishing reel maintenance

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Shawn, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just curious, what everyone does as far as periodic reel maintenance? Is there anything that helps casting distance with baitcasters?

I usually put a light coat of grease on gears, and lube the spool contact points and line guide with oil (last time I used lower unit gear oil on the contact points for the spool axle)

I do mine about every other year unless i'm getting them dirty, or wet...

Shawn

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am embarrased to say this but I never lube or grease my reels, I will wipe off the outside of them but thats it..I took an abu6500 apart for cleaning a couple years ago, and it worked worse after I cleaned it so I said never agin..I had a worm gear go out on a abu 7000 last year and it was only 2 years old, so in the trash can it went!

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Yeah, I think I am a little to timid to take my reels apart. I do add a little oil here and there and clean the outside.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I grease my reels once ayear and use either a lithium grease in some cases or a moly based grease.

5. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I usually clean mines frequently, some spots where I have alot of sand. I like to keep the junk of of my 7000's.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Flathunter, nexttime you are going to trash one of them 7000's send it to me.

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i take mine apart and clean, then use a light reel oil at least once a yr. that way you can see if anything is wore and needs replacing before it tears other parts up. i oil the line guides and wrom gears about every two months it only takes a drop or two. those parts wear pretty quick. an abu bait caster cost to much not to take a hour once a yr to clean and oil.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I clean mine once a year weather they need it or not LOL!!!

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    During the peak season i'll clean mine once every 2months or so or more often since some of my reels go through some of abuse(most fishing spots are in remote shore areas so sand or dirt sometimes gets up in there) or i even have had a few of them fall into the river a few pulled in and a few kicked in but i recovered them all

I have a tube of Penn reel stuff thats both grease and oil (it says it works for both) Does anyone know where i can get some more? I'm not sure how i have it but i do.

Zac

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats what i'm sayin! i take mine apart every other year and clean/re-grease, my problem is cleaning the outside! done it for the first time in 5 years a couple weeks ago, liked to kill me washin off all those memories..... blood stains, scales, etc.

11. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I know that less grease is better or oil for that matter. Many people over do it and then the reel will not perform as good as it did before they took it apart. I do very little to my reels with the exception of the worm gear and one small drop of oil on the shaft of the spool. And that I do very sparingly. If anything I just clean off the residue at times. But very little oil. Or I take my reels to a reel technican or the manufacter. And one thing about your drags, I back mine off on every trip when I get home. With the exception for when its raining out and my tackle is all wet. Then I do not back off the drags until everything is dry and I can be sure no water will get in the drags of the reel. And I do not take my drags apart on my own cause I will just jack up the reel. I let the manufacters do that.

12. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

I'll make you a deal. Send me two broken, I'll fix them, & send you one back. I'll even throw in the cost of shipping!:)

Frank

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    good point musky i do back my drag off also and when i clean and oil them i make sure to keep the drag washers dry and free of oil.

14. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I'll usually clean mine after every trip. I've found that letting skipjack blood and all that stuff is so much easier to clean off if you clean it shortly after fishin. When i first started fishin last year i let them get dirty over a period of a month of fishin. It took the better part of the afternoon to clean all of them back up and getting them done right after takes less than an hour..... I guess that once the gunk sets up its a B!4*H to clean up.

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
  16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I second that motion... I'll take that in a second to fix and use rather then let it add to the landfill problems we have nowadays