Perfect Reel for the Missouri River is...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cpalombo, May 23, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hey guys,

I have a couple of Okuma cheepo downrigger reels that worked great for Michigan walleye and lake trout. I retrofitted them with 30lb mono a month back, and they are probably all right for a season of catfishing.

But... I want to get to get 2 good cat reels that can hold a few hundred yards of #80 braid. I see A LOT of Penn 209, 210, and 309 reels on ebay, for $20-$40 each. Some of the newly used ones are pretty clean.

Would you guys suggest buying a Penn 209 for big water cat fishing (Miss River and MO River, typically deep water over 40 feet)? Would you buy them used, or is new the only way to go (I think they go $75 new). Finally, is there a system that guys use to overhaul Penn reels like new brake washers and a good cleaning?

(I know that someone will probably move this post to some far off land, and I can understand why. But I know everyone in MO Rivers, and this is where I always come, so that is why I am asking here rather than the equip section.)

Thanks in advance.

CP

2. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have several Penn 310's and love them but will probably get a couple 320's. They are a real dependable reel and some of mine are close to 15 years old. I sent one of them back to Penn this past winter and it cost me $40 to have it refurbished and it is like brand new now.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You cant go wrong with the Penns my friend. I have several of the 209's that I found at sales for 20 bucks and at any given tournament you will still see two of them on my setups even though I have new ones also. I just cant part with them. They hold a ton of braid, have the torque you need to keep a heavy fish out of the rocks, and the gear ratio to catch up to that one fish that decides to take off at the boat. They also cast farther than the new stuff does. I have a dozen Penn's laying around and they all work nicely. Cuz's advice, save some coin and buy those Penns at a steal for 20 bucks (or I will, lol) Take the money you save and put it towards a better rod to put the Penn on. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Alright, I bought two. One for $19.50 total (including $7.00 shipping) and one for $27.00 (Including $5 for shipping). Not bad for a used classic.

Hope to have them by Sat. so that I can intoduce them to my new spot.

Thanks for the input. Ebay is giving away 209's and 309's.

Cuz, what is a "better rod"??? Any sugestions?

CP

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Depending on the type of fishing you will mainly do, I have two different setups I use.

Big River+Big Current+Big Weights= Big Rigs LOL

Surge Rods, Penn Reels, 80# Power Pro and weights 6 to 16 ounces

For my small rigs, (for fishing for trash fish) channels and such, I use garcia's on my shakespeare medium action ugly sticks. Cant beat em for 40 bucks.

Back to the surges, did I say I absolutely LOVE THEM. Bluff City bait and Tackle in Alton has them if you want to go look and feel one. I now own six of them and getting ready to buy two more. They are custom made and well worth their 80 dollar tags. I'd recommend having at least two of them on hand. I'll be happy to show you mine if you would like to see them. I live about 40 minutes south of Saint Louis. Give me a shout.

6. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I got 2 Okuma cv45l's on surge rods and I love the rod, don't have much good to say about the reels. There is a guy in Godfrey,IL at Midwest Petroleum gas station. He has a bait shop called Old Man River and he sells the rod cheaper than Bluff City. I would buy a ton of these rods if I could afford them.

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Cuz, you're reading my mind.:big_smile: A Penn 209 on a med/heavy or heavy Surge rod is a nice setup. I've got a pair of surge rods, one with a 209 and the other with a Quantum Iron 320.

For a "less sturdy" setup, I really like the Berkley Reflex rod (8'). Although I'm not sure if they make them anymore or not. Then I've also got an 8' American Premier that I like. I've got a Penn 209 on the Premier. I got a good deal a while back on a Garcia 7000, so that's on the Reflex.

Perhaps I shouldn't call the reflex rod a "less sturdy" setup. It's been handling 12 ounce sinkers and has brought in a 42 and a 71 in the past month :roll_eyes: I more accurately call it my "lucky setup" LOL :smile2:

I have 3 209's that all came used on Ebay. Never paid more than $25 (w/ shipping) for any of them. They are all great reels. Can't go wrong with them in my opinion.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

There ya have it, the preacher says Surge Rocks, and when the preacher preaches, we all listen. LOL. :cool2: Sorry Shane, couldnt pass that one up. :tounge_out:

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I will be picking up my 3 penn 209's tomorrow and they will be going on my 8 foot berkley reflex rods. I have really liked the reflex so far. They seem to have a sensitive tip but a good backbone. I also like the nice cork grips.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    They have cork grips?
    When did they start that? I love the blank they have, but didn't like much else including the foam grips mine came with. I bought 3 of the Reflexes and took them to Paul's Bait Shop in St Louis and had him strip them down to the blank, add St. Croix cork grips, front and back. Then had him put on Fuji guides and reel seat, and St Croix guide tip. I use them with my baitrunners for ponds and bank fishing.

11. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    hey im lookin for a cheap okuma for my dad. u interested in letting that one go? send me a pm and let me know how much

thanks and i have to agree i have a friend who has penn 209 and i used it once, fell in love with it

thanks

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've got 4 of the Abu-Garcia 7000C3's for my river fishing and I love them. Plenty of capacity for big mono and smooth casting... They're not a $30 reel, but they don't perform like one either...

13. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Cat,

I am not sure I would feel really good about selling them. They are in good shape, but new they were only a $19.99 flat top cheep Okuma without the level wind. As basic and plastic and Wal-Xxxt as you could get. The line new costs more than the reels. Probably with gears made of plastic or stail bread or something.

I would just tell you to do what I did... go worship at the foot of the Ebay, and spend $15.00 for a pair of new Penn 109's.

Thanks for asking, but I dont really think they are a reel that you would want to buy used. Get a Penn and buy it once forever. (I am a very gifted salesman, arn't I?)

CP

14. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yep u could " sell water to a drowning man " lol:lol:

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shimano BaitRunners 4500 and 6500 with 65 and 80 lb Power Pro will do me just fine! Once you figure out the double clickers and have good rods to go with them… You just can”t beat em… It all depends on the size and type of a Trophy Catfish you are going after. Design your own combinations for whatever works as they all have their pros and cons on rods, reels and basic equipment. Use what ever you feel comfortable with is the key element in our Sport.

Vince
    TeamWhiskers

16. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO

I bought mine from a Southern Rod And Gun in Sikeston for 30 dollars each and they have cork grips, in front of and behind the reel seat.

I think they only had one left and if they don't make them anymore I may have to go snatch it up. :roll_eyes:

After all I did get 3 penns of ebay but only have 2 reflexs. :smile2:

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I don't know why they quit selling them, they closed them out a couple of years ago. Guess there are still several out on shelves. Grab them if you can find them, they're great rods for the money. I suppose they closed them out to get buyers to go for the more higher priced ones they have come out with.

18. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Alright, so it has been one week and I have just bought my 4th Penn 209 from ebay. Not that I am a nut about buying things on line. Rather, the one I got today was $2.45 plus 6 buck shipping. How can I pass that up? 4 of those, and I am stocked up well. (I found out Friday that I was probably bidding against BajaCoop for one of the 209's. That was worth a big laugh when we found that out).

Anyhow, you can get a Penn 209 for $20ish, a Penn 109 for $13ish, and a Penn 309 for $32ish. New in Box, unused, and scratchless can add about 50% more to the bill.

I am returning the 4 rods I got from Bass pro. They are going back today. I hung up on a rock 2 nights back, and the rod felt like it was made of straw. Ifyou can feel the reel seat give... it is time to buy a better rod.

I keep looking for Berk Reflex Rod to match my 209's, but no luck. Are there any other names aside form the Reflex of very very sturdy cat rod that you all would recomend? I am not looking for a 7 foot Medium-no back bone chanel cat rod. Rather, I want a heavey bluecat fishing rod that can toss an 18 oz river sinker, and hold it in 40fow in high current. I fish in the junk, and I think I need to buy a telephone pole. I cant afford a custoom right now, so that it out. I need an out of the box situation for the $40 range.

Thanks, CP

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Check out blackhorse custom rods Chris.
    Lyle can make you what your looking for and I think you will be more than happy with them.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=389
    If you cant afford a custom rod I would look at a surge rod or a big water boat rod by ugly stik.

20. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I was looking on line. Pinnicle and Silstar (same co, diff names) make a "Big Water" surf rod. Is that what you are talking about. I assume it is Shakespere rather than the other two.

Also, what length and action should I look for. Again, 8-18oz in deep fast churning water is where is fish.

CP