Perfect Pea Salad

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've tried many recipes over the years for green pea salad, and this is by far the best IMO. Because I've made this so many times, I have a few suggestions for those of you who'd like to try it. You can use bottled Ranch dressing, but it just isn't the same.....for this dish I make up a batch (semi-homemade) :wink:. The Ranch mix calling for BUTTERMILK is the best. This salad gets BETTER with age, which can be convenient. I like to let it sit in the frig a couple of days before eating; HOWEVER, if you make it ahead of time, don't add the cashews until serving (you could use a different nut I'm sure, if you so desire). My best friend who doesn't like peas, cauliflower, celery or onions, and isn't fond of Ranch dressing, likes THIS. :smile2:

1 (10-oz) pkg. frozen baby peas or 2 cups fresh peas
    1 cup diced celery
    1 cup chopped cauliflower
    1 cup chopped cashews
    1/4 cup diced green onions
    1/4 cup crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon
    2 Tbsp chopped pimento
    3/4 cup Ranch dressing
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Rinse peas in hot water (or steam, if fresh); drain.
    Combine peas, celery, cauliflower, cashews, onions, bacon and pimentos in large bowl.
    Whisk together dressing, sour cream, mustard and black pepper in a small bowl; pour over salad mixture.
    Toss gently; chill.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing Tanya. My wife said your receipt sounds great and will give it a try.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well now that just has to be good! :haha:
    When is a pea not a pea ? When it's in a can. I hate those little soft mushy gray things........... yuck,:look_down:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just might give it a try,I'm the only one in my household that likes pea salad,and I just throw togather a can of peas,miracle whip ,cheese and some chopped onions.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tanya that sound's Great think i'll make that for my dad this weekend, He'll eat the whole salad by himself:smile2:

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    sounds great accept for the onions. that is the one thing in the world i won't eat.

8. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    I am going to try that one. Have you tried adding any hot peppers to it?:smile2:

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Nope I haven't Eric.....but for all you die-hard dragons, that would prob'ly be good. I say dragons because some of y'all must be breathin' FIRE most of the time! :wink:

10. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    I love it hot. So if I breathe fire stand back. Your recipe does sound good with or with out hot peppers.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Had a recipe given me yesterday for a cake I haven't made before.

Blackberry Wine cake.This cake uses blackberry jello and 4 eggs added to a white cake mix plus nuts.
    In addition, a cup of blackberry wine is added to the mix plus another 1/2 cup of wine in a powdered sugar glaze.

Gonna give this a try. Sounds good anyhow. Can't imagine what another 4 eggs is going to do to a white cake mix. Whoo-ee.

Anybody out there in etherland ever make this before? If so give me your thoughts.

John.

12. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    Can you post the full recipe? it sounds great.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Had a recipe given me yesterday for a cake I haven't made before.

Blackberry Wine cake.This cake uses blackberry jello and 4 eggs added to a white cake mix plus nuts.
    In addition, a cup of blackberry wine is added to the mix plus another 1/2 cup of wine in a powdered sugar glaze.

Gonna give this a try. Sounds good anyhow. Can't imagine what another 4 eggs is going to do to a white cake mix. Whoo-ee.

Anybody out there in etherland ever make this before? If so give me your thoughts.

John.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tanya don't know how this got in a pea salad recipe thread. Intended to post a reply. Will stick it up again.

John.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do, Blackberry Wine! lol

John the recipe sound good , only thing I would do different is sub blackberry brandy for the wine at about a 1/4 volume. :wink: