Perfect line for the Mississippi River is....

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by cpalombo, Jun 5, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I ebayed myself a fleet of Penn 209's this week I now have 4 shiney used Penn reels in all the cool colors (black and maroon). I also got a 5th Penn Reel for $2.00 (you get what you paid for, rusted so tight that it is not good for anything except as an orniment for a big big fish tank.... or to be used as an anchor for a very small boat).

I had some #30 yellow Big Game that I threw on there, but I see a lot of guys use braded line. The reel is big enough to accomodate just about anything (including 100 feet of garden hose, if I felt so inclined), so space is not an issue. What type of line would you all use and for what circumstances? The rods I use are very heavy 6 and 8 foot CatMaxx, very slow action, very stiff backbone from butt to tip.

Thanks,

CP

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Dang, do I got to supply everything for ya?
    Ok, along with that 209 and 185 reels I promised ya, I got ya spool of Stren HiVisability (orange) 30 lb mono. There should be about 2000 yards left on it, so that should also take care of your other reels also.
    Glad you already have your rods, man your high maintenance.

Bye the way, how come you never want to know what a "good" item for the Mississippi River is? No, it's always got to be the "perfect" item you gotta have.

3. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Kutter,

"Perfect" is the way to go. I like having good solid gear! Every time I move across county, I have to restock up on all the gadgets needed for fishing in that area. Since I live in catfish heaven now, I need the catfish tools.

Thanks for the offer on the line, but I would insist on repaying you in some way for it. Let me take you out in the Palombo-mobile for your trouble for an evening of high powered cat-action (OK, that is an overstatement). Seriously though, let me know if you would ever want to get out, I would love to fish with you. My Bro. Sal Jr said that you are a good guy, and I have seen the same here. I would love to hang out and share stories/ideas.

CP

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've never been so insulted in all my life! For God's sake, man, surely you know better than to listen or believe anything that Sal says. He only said that to set you up. Or, maybe he said that because once, once mind you, I agreed with something he said and made the mistake of telling him so. That wild eyed, city slicken, yuppie, yankee, liberal, Beemer driving (or Volvo), Californian wannabe. (Did I mention, he bass fishes?) He can't be trusted. Of course, neither can I. I'm only being nice to you to upset Sal.:tounge_out:

Did I say I was selling? Nope, I said you could have the stuff. If you insist, I'll retract the offer. Now don't go threatening me like offering to take me out on THE river. I'll go out on the Mississippi alone at night any day of the week, high water or not. But I aint brave enough to go out in your boat. The river gods have you in their sights an I don't want to be anywhere close to ya when they strike.:eek:oooh: The word is out on you from Hannibal to Cairo. (Remember that little promise you made about if only you could get back to shore alive? Ya didn't keep that promise, did ya?) Did you think the river gods would forget something like that?
    Picture it like.......:hell_boy::0a22:

Oh, Vince is wanting to go out jugging Sat night on the Merrimac down here where i live. Ya interested in tagging along? Yeah, I know, more folks drown in the Merrimac than any other river in the state. Wuss
    It's only because of the whirlpools, quicksand and the snake nesting dens. Just stay in the boat an you'll be fine. Besides, aint nobody drowned in that river in what, two weeks, at least.:big_smile:

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    CP Wallyworld sales Berkiey Gorilla Tough super braid 50 lb on 300yd spools for $20.00 and change.I've been using it for 3 years and like it so much I have it on 3 reels.A 209 Penn will not take all 300yds but will take most of it.That line is so tough you can't break it with the rod without breaking the rod so you have to wrap it around a stick.

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    How do you come up with the Penn won't take 300 yards of 50 lb braid?

My penns took 150 yards of 40 lb braid and 150 yards of 20 lb mono as a backer. Unless it is really big diameter braid(which kinda defeats half the purpose of braid in the first place) it should fit easy.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I really like braided superline. I like the 'no-stretch' feature. I like the smaller diameter, which allows longer casts and gives the current less to pull on when I'm river fishing (almost always). I do use a mono leader of slightly less strength so that when I hang up and have to break off, I don't lose any of my expensive superline.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I just got my Ande Braid in this wkend....I'm gonna use 80lb test because it has a diam. of 18lb test and fits all my reels....I really don't need that lb test, but it'll cover about any situation I've got to handle, even the Mighty Mississippi......I'll use whatever size mono I need for the situation.....Dwight