Perfect line for an Abu 5000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by elphaba7, Feb 16, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Give me your recommendations, ladies and gents. I had my first experience with my new baitcaster today, and boy let me tell you how much...er, fun?...I had.:glare:

I spooled it with the 20# Stren I got along with it, just so I could get out there. I know that line is/was too big, and I spent most of the day untangling it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what line do you all think I should use? Some fellow's in chat say Cajun Red 17# would work good. Let me hear your thoughts, please?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'd say no bigger than 17#. i use 15# on my 5000/5600's and ive brought in 20lb fish on it, just have to play them out. i like to use really bright green big-game line cause its easier to see during the day or night. trust me, they cant see it. im trying out the new big-game "hi-test" this year, i really like it so far, even better than regular big-game.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use either 17 or 20 mono on my 5000s .Mostly big game and golden stren.

4. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    17 seems to be the magic number.

How do you all feel about braid? I haven't used it yet, but heard it gets tricky. I'm thinking a new baitcaster and new line might be a double whammy.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have not used the new braid. when they started makeing good mono I started useing it and never stoped

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, 17lb is probaly pretty good size for that reel. I would use solar green berkley big game. But Cajun red is awesome too.

Zakk:)

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wouldnt put braid on it till you learn to cast with it.

8. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    MMmmmmm, I just purchased a new 5500,,,,Now I know what to put on it...:)

Good fishing all

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    like said i would wait till you learn to use it to putt good line on it. 20# big game is a good cheap line to be cutting off a back lash.( and beleave me you will be cutting it off sometime this summer lol) its thick also so its easy to pick out mild lashes.

10. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I use 12# to 17# Lo-Vis Green on all my 5000s . Grandma caught a thirty four pound blue on the 12# last September, lighter line just requires more patients. My Berkely E-Cats, Abu 7000s are spool with heavier line.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use 50# powerpro on mine. When I used mono, I used 15-17#. 20# doesn't work well, unless you use a 'super limp' type. The powerpro allows me to get plenty of line on the spool (not that I've ever probably needed it), and I use mono shock leaders to suit the area I'm fishing, mostly 20-25#.

12. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If it were me i like learning to use it with the line i'm going to use on it. I've yet to have a backlash that i couldn't pick out. Most of the time you can tighten the knob on the side to slow your bait down as it drops. That will help alot!! Where i'm fishing the 6000's and 6500's have to have braid. Just dropping it by the side of the boat will take half the line off the spool. Not alot left if something worthy gets ahold of it. It depends on where your fishing and what size fish you might hook into to. I'll be the first to tell ya, have one break you off and you'll wish you would of rigged for him! Lessons learned there. Powerpro has been the best braid i've used. It still looks new on my reels. It doesn't rot like mono and its good for about anything you'd want to hook into. Its memory free which is really nice compared to most monos and i can pack twice as much line on the reel than if i used mono! The only downside that i can think of is its expensive!

13. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    OK I may be a day late and a dollar short, but here is some information for those that use braided line. Get a medium size crochet hook or smaller if that is your preference (I think I spelled that right). It will simplify tangle removal to the point you will almost want to get a tangle. Did I really say that? The only prep for the hook is make sure the underside of the hook doesn't have a sharp edge. It will work on mono type line to. If you are smart enough to fish you'll figure it out. I have only cut a line two or three times in the last fourty years because of tangles.

14. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Man, that is an awesome tip! I even have a crochet hook handy that will help, lol.

15. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If your fishing channels ill fish W/ 40-50 lb spiderwire if your dealing with cover. For flatheads 50lb braid is minimum but 60-100lb is the best bet. Mono I think has to much problems.

16. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Unfortunatly, Wally did not have the Cajun Red I was after.

Instead, I came home with Trilene 17# low vis green, two kinds of sinkers, #7 swivels, some Matzuo 4/0 hooks, a pack of Eagle Claw 24" 45# leaders, and some Eagle Claw "ready to fish" catfish rigs. :cool: