perfect catfishing pond? - I need some advice

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by carpfisherman11, Apr 11, 2006.

1. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    we are thinking of putting a pond on our property and i want some advice on how to make it perfect for catfishing
    i would like info. on:

best depth?

vegitation?

other fish species?

square footage?

shape of pond?

amount of fish?

size of fish?

catfish species?

materials for the pond floor?

2. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    depth-4ft-12 for channels, 8ft-15 for flats/blues

vegitation- yes, alternate food source- as for what kind, don't know

species of cats-channel catfish adapt well to ponds

Other species-bluegill, shad, minnows, sunfish, and crappies but I wouldn't put any other predators in there.They should be top of the food chain.

Materials- brushpiles for panfish, and rotten hollwed out logs for cats.

Size of fish-channels-I would start at 14" and down

Amount-at least 50 pounds depending on size of fish

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    best depth? up to about 10 or 15 feet

vegitation? cattails around the parts of the edges, lilly pads if you can get some... and one or 2 other types of plants... the best are the ones that don't spread or atleast don't spread fast... cause some types will make the pond unfishable in a few years because of them choking the waters.

other fish species? Forage fish (bluegills, sunnies, if large enough shad, maybe a few, very few cause they'll multiply, eels, and even a bunch of goldfish, maybe bullheads too since they will populate fast as well)

square footage? 20 square feet... no only kidding... i'd say make it as large as you can to allow for maximum growth of the fish 1/2 acre is good, but 2 acres would be even better, just to allow for more fish in it...

shape of pond? What ever the area allows i wouldn't really go for a rectangle with the middle being deepest though... just isn't as fishy and you'd probably have to dump some tires and/or other fish holding structures in to give them homes... (you may want to do that anyway)

amount of fish? as many as you can afford... I don't know what the proportions would be but i'd definitely load up on forage fish in the pond if i were you so the fish don't starve...

size of fish? all eggs... kidding again... Depends on if you want to wait a few years or if you want it to be fishable the week its finished... I'd say go with fingerlings, mid sizes and some small adults for the catfish and then with forage fish, get breeding sized ones as well as the fingerlings if you can

catfish species? I'd say channels mostly... they are the hardiest and seem to survive the best in a pond situation, but you can add blues if you want... if you add flatties, definitely have big breeder forage fish so you don't run out of forage fish in the lake.... the flatties will make it so there aren't many bait fish in there though...

materials for the pond floor? How do you mean? like lined w/ plastic? or do you mean like the bottom comp? i'd say definitely line it w/ plastic then put a layer of dirt over it and then sand for the majority of the pond... leave some dirt/mud unsanded... Throw (really gently place) some rocks/boulders in to give good hiding spots as well as different structure... some downed/sunken trees would work well as well....

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You need some type of spawning structure concrete pipe, plastic barrels ect. place these on a gravel bed.

5. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    I've done quite a bit of study on pond construction and productivity. I dream of someday having a pond of my own for cats and bluegill. A couple of things, FYI...

Might want to check with the DCNR in your area to get some help with location of exactly where to build a dam, assuming you're going that route. If the soil isn't right (needs to be a high percentage of clay on the floor of the pond, esp. the dam) you'll end up with a dry pond when you go a while without rain. No matter how many things you do to make great habitat, a dry pond is worthless. Also, I'd think twice about putting crappie in it because they can really overpopulate a small pond quickly, unless you have some serious predators in there to keep them in check. A combination of channels, bream, and bass are a good combo for a pond, along with assorted baitfish (shad, minnows, etc.). As for vegetation, the idea of lilly pads and cattails are great... just don't everdo it because plants can overrun a pond in a hurry and ruin it. Put all kinds of stuff in the pond for hiding places for fish. Maybe a rock pile, some tree tops, some deeper holes and humps, a flat spot or two. Something I've been playing with is the idea of constructing "treetops" out of PVC pipe. PVC is very cheap and you don't get hung up when you cast straight into it. You can build a mansion for fish out of pvc anchored with very little weight. You'll also probably want to supplementally feed the cats with feed... they'll grow faster if you do. And check with your local hatchery on their recomendations for #of fish to stock per acre of water. They can really get you started right and get your pond in a healthy balance. Main thing here is to do your homework! You can't just dig a hole, fill it with fish and water, and hope for the best (which you do not seem like you'd do or else you wouldn't be asking ?'s on the BOC). Good luck brother! I hope you're able to build the greatest cat pond in America!

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    A good post and info. I am in the process of buying some property with a stocked pond of a little over an acre. The owner places five gallon plastic buckets in the pond for the catfish to breed, and it seems like a good idea. If I find out more on this I will let you know.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    soil conservation agent can help you with your pond. several people have suggested shad . i have never ever seen a shad in a pond. id just about be willing to bet the farm you couldnt get a shad to live in a pond.next thing is you do not want crappie in any pond where you want other fish to spawn and expect the fry to surrvive and grow into a catchable useable resource. crappie are eating machines when it comes to small schools of fry.wwhen you really study pond management several sources will recomend that you not use crappie in a pond.good luck with your pond.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would call your local wildlife dept. They can give you all the details and often have programs for establishing ponds. I know around here they will cover part of the costs associated with the pond. Just a thought.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
  10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Feeding the catfish in your pond is not only good for the growth of the fish but is also fun to watch.I bought 600 fingerlin channels and 600 fingerlin blues the channels have always come up and fead on floating catfish food but the blues will very seldom come up but theyre growing just as fast as the channels.I've put 6 flatheads in the pond from 2 to 28 lbs to reduce the population of bass 2 years have passed since I've done that and the number of bass is very low but the size of the bass are bigger.So if youre gonna put flatheads in a pond make sure they have plenty to eat, crappie and bream is some of the quickest reproducing fish so they would fullfill the flatheads diet.As far as buying flathead fingerlins I dont know of anywhere to do that.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's hard to say, not knowing how much land you have... I'd just allocate 1/4 acre for the house and yard. Put the rest in a pond. I don't know if shad will live in a pond for very long. I have a ornamental pond in my back yard, about 20' X26' X6'. I threw some shad in there and forgot about them... next spring I had tons of baby shad. So, either the shad spawned or the stork came to visit the pond. Don't put crappie in a pond unless you have at least a 20 acre pond, and bigger would be better. They are so prolific they'll eat the small fish and won't get very big themselves.

12. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

I would stay away from the crappie.

13. tomoryears7919

tomoryears7919 New Member

State:
    Hillsboro, OHIO
    If you are going to use crappie I would only use black crappie, they reproduce much slower than white cappie!!!!! And you could also use 12 inch or larger field tile for the cats to spawn in.