Perfect Catboat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by DeerHunter01, May 16, 2007.

Which Boat is the Cat Boat

1. Tuffy 2060

2. Alumacraft Trophy 205/195

3. Alumaweld Intruder 20'

4. Crestliner Sports Angler 1750

5. Hewes Craft Sportsman 20'

6. SeaArk Rivercat

7. SeaArk Big Daddy

8. Smoker Craft Pro Angler 172

9. War Eagle 2372

10. Weldcraft 201 Maverick

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you had your choice of what type of catfish boat you wanted what would you get ? I have formed a list of several boats for you to choose from.

Now once you picked your boat please explain why that boat ? and what modifcations you would make to the boat to make it the perfect cat boat !

1. Size of live well
    2. Size and kind of Bait tank

And so on.

The Poll is posted above on the type of Boat

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have found that any boat can work if it works for you. my biggest thing is that i know where everything is, esp. after dark. you don't need to be tripping into things. i have a 17ft. G3 duck boat with a 2 stroke Merc. 60-40 jet , there hasn't been anywhere i couldn't go yet. i love it! i actually drive it shallow just to see how good im good for. i have heard sand a few times going through the jet! lots of fun !

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I would want a boat that can go into shallow water. I voted for the Sea Ark River cat, now if the boat could be set up with a jet drive motor that would be a plus. After going out on Tim Hagans set up I find the ability to venture into shallow waters is a must. He has located a 20 foot hole in the middle of a 2.5 foot flat where he has pulled 40+ cats from. The River Cat comes standard with a 40 gallon live well and a 12 gallon bait well. That may be enough but I suppose a larger live well could be added. The size is good for me, not to big. Setting up a rod holder rig would be simple with this boat. I am currently running a 23 foot deep v, fiberglass and it really limits me at times. My next rig will have a jet drive! Hope this helps.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I would go with the Big Daddy. 24 ft long, 8 ft wide, sounds like a pontoon don't it? Only thing I would change would be adding rod holders, and a couple of bench seats like the Sea Ark Big Easy has.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    24 cat daddy unless War-Eagle would build a 15 degree hull on there boats.

Add a center console, 70+ live-well in front of that. Add a big bait tank for the seat for the console.
    Open up the back of the boat where there's plenty of room for working and landing a fish. seat bases back there to move seats around and sit in while fishing off the back and sides.
    Front deck like on the standard boat. That way I could drift fish or anchor fish.
    Gas tank in the floor.
    Lights along the sides with switches and light in the live well and bait tank..

Add a pro air built into the boat. And storage in the front deck. Also 4 or 5 rod holders on each side of the console.
    If given the time, I could design a boat that would sell to catfish man like crazy.
    And design it to fish easy and not be a so so boat.
    Also if the right boat is built, I may sell both War-Eagles and buy a new one.

Pete

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well to be honest I would want my boat to have deep sides for saftey reasons, Plus I would want a 100 gallon live well with a 30 gallon insulated round bait tank. I would want all the room I could get with this boat. Also would like to have the bow of the boat deep so I could feel safe at putting in and bringing out the boat anchor. 100 inch beam sounds good to me. Plus a roll bar in the back of the boat to mount rod holders too. with two seats facing towards the rod's. So who ever comes out with this boat I will buy one..lmao

7. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I voted for the Sea Ark river cat. I have a Sea Ark Striper 200 it is the same as the river cat except the Striper 200 has a 30 gallon shad live well which is the reason I went with the Striper 200.
    -----------------------------------
    I thought it was a piece of moss but it was a big ol' fish

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Seeing as I just drove 1200 miles round trip to get it, the Sea Ark is my choice. Mine is a 2072 w/ a Yamaha 115/80 jet and I love it. To me it is the perfect cat boat. In fact I am washing clothes right now before I load it all up to take it on a 4 day fishing trip.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I have looked around as I hope to have a new one for next season and will add one more to your list the Polar Karft sportman 2096. This is a very well build boat 20" 4" with 96" beam and 29" sides. This boats has the biddest 60gal live well i have seen plus in front of the center console a 30 gal bait tank lots of floor roomand a 27 gal gas tank that in build into the floor. Top this off with a 115/80 4 stoke yamaha jet and its hard to beat. When I was at the show I saw in right beside the sea ark boats and It's got them beat

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    most of the "catfishing" boats on the market are just aluminum bass boats. boat manifactures don't seem to understand that bass fishermen fish on a boat and catfishermen fish in a boat. all we need is a front deck to throw a net and a small back deck to hide batterys and mount rod holders. We don't need or want a huge back deck to stand on!

I have been watching the development of a catfishing boat By a small custom boat builder in Arkansas and a prominent catfishing guide here in the midwest. I must say it looks very good so far. I can't wait to go down and see it for Myself, I think a new boat is in My future! These folk get what we need in a boat!!! BTW hull is rated for 300 HP!!!

Attached Files:

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Cooks boat's in Troy Mo. take the Sea Ark and make a Cooks Edition out of it and it's the best I've seen, it has huge liveweells and bait tank and I think the one I looked at was a 22'er. But I like the picture of what you posted Brad. I also foam at the mouth when ever I see a Lowe Rough neck.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Lyle I've got a lowe roughneck 2070 CC now! its an allright boat but the huge back deck, CC is too far back and it has NO storage livewell is way too small! THe walk through windshield is the way to go!!! You can add an enclosure with side curtains for foul weather!

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Agreed.

I want seats that will swivel around and face aft, where my rods are.

Other than livewell issues, the big dual console Lunds and Alumacrafts get my vote. Walleye boats come a lot closer to meeting my needs than bass boats ever will.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Without a live well my smoker craft has the room that the only draw back it the live well

15. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I got a 16'6" Starcraft. From what I've seen it has the must room for that size boat. I also have 20 gallon baitank. The Lund boats are also pretty nice, all the bell and whistles. Here's one problem the bigger boat you have the more of a pain it is in certain situations. As in anchoring and the wind blowing you around. Plus with having a 16'6" boat the and a 4stroke the gas does really well. If you spend alot time on the water thats something you have to consider.

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Anchor the front use a drift shock on the back and fish out the back it will work great

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm sure the livewell is plenty big enough for the size fish I usualy catch, but it's nice to know that, In the future I will know these things. I will be looking fo a new boat in a couple of years.

18. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just want a motor for my boat...they arent easy to find where I live :sad2:

19. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My soon to be competed Fishingtoon 9000 will be the ultimated catfishing platform.

20. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a Seaark 24/72 c.u.b. series with 40 gal & 14 gal live wells, it is one of the most well made boats I have seen,jmo