Percy Priest/Old Hickory

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catfishnewbie08, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey guys,

I moved to La Vergne, from WI two years ago, so I'm not real familiar with Old Hickory and Percy Priest Lakes. I took up catfishing this summer and fell in love with it. I'm still learning as I go. I've been catching 8-10 lb Channel cats out of Percy on cut shad from the bank in the Jefferson Springs Recreation area.

I was just wondering if anyone knows any other good spots for good sized catfished from shore (since I don't have a boat) on these two lakes. I'd like to catch my first blue or flathead. All I've been catching is Channels. I also wouldn't mind finding someone to fish with and learn more about the catfishing game! Also any additional advice on improving my chances of catching that big one would greatly be appreciated!

2. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Catfishnewbie08,
    I just moved to LaVergne this past January. However, I didnt make quite as big of a move as you, I only moved from Columbia, about an hour south of LaVergne. There's not many options for fishing down that way, so I'm still getting used to Priest lake and the Stones river areas. I love to catfish but am not very good at it, lol. I need to get better at locating them. I fish mostly from the bank but I do have a little old 12 ft jon boat I take out from time to time. I fished the Jefferson Springs area last Saturday night with no luck. Maybe I need to get with you and we can learn how to find em around here, lol. Do you catch your own shad or buy it? Thats somethin I need to do better at also, I need to put down the grocery store baits and start using fresh stuff. My name's Nate by the way.

3. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have recently taken up catfishing so I might not be able to give you much insight on that, but I have been on Priest and Old Hickory and can tell you a little about the two lakes. I live in Franklin, TN so not far from you.

Percy Priest: I like to break Priest down to the North and South side of the lake, which is North of Hubson Pike (which is Old Hickory Blvd off I-24, and South Mount Juliet Road off I-40). The North side is more of the party area because it is deeper and wider so so the bigger boats stay in that area and that's where the Dam, Nashville Shores (which shots off fireworks twice a year and cool to watch from a boat), Party Cove, and is where you can find more smallmouth and striper. The South side of Priest is more like Old Hickory as in it is narrower and you need to follow the bouys. You will find more largemouth bass in this area. I know you don't have a boat but that just gives you a better feel of the lake as a whole. I have heard the best fishing in the South side, and for Bass in the Fate Sanders area. Percy Priest was made to help control flooding for the downtown (east nashville area). So during the winter months they let a lot of water out, which on the river side of the dam (not the lake side) is a good spot when they have the dam open or right after, so during the heavy (or normal) rain during the spring the water levels come back up to normal. You can see a difference on the North side because it is dropped about 20 feet and you see a brown ring around the lake, but the South side really drops and you can really notice a difference. Percy Priest also will not allow building on the lake, so you wont see a single house on it, just marinas, so I think it is more peaceful because your more around nature.

Old Hickory: Old Hickory is more of a river then a lake. It's waters are more chopier because a lot of the area you need to stay in the channels (bouys) so every boat goes through their so us little boats don't like the big boat's waves. Also since it isn't as wide all the waves down have time to die down in some of the areas. Since Old Hickory is more like a river it stays the same height all year around. Barges are always doing up and down it and going through the Old Hickry Dam Locks headed down town. I think some areas the fish maybe better because of the contsitant water movement. Old Hickory is sometimes a little colder (1-5 degress) colder then Priest. Old Hickory starts from Cordell Lake. Old Hickory does have a lot of shoreline because it is twisty and turny, but a lot of people have houses on the lake (especially in the Hendersonville, Old Hickory, Mount Juliet area), so you can't get to all the area by shore. I have heard Old Hickory as great catfishing area. I have heard of somewhere between Cedar Creek area down to Johnny Cash Blvd (Main street in Hendersonville, Nashville Pike in Gallatin) area. Still may not seem much to someone without a boat but atleast you get a feel of the lake.

Here is a book you should buy, becasuse it gives you map of the lakes and all areas in Middle Tennessee and in each section it tells about docks, marina, boat ramps, and then gives you numbers to those places and where their are fishing areas by shore. I attached the pic of the book, and it is about $20 and you can get it at any Walmart.

Attached Files:

4. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Newbie and Nate if you are able to find Longhunter Park there is places there off the bank that is good to fish.I fish alot on Priest myself and if you are on the bank of Jefferson,Fate Sanders,Stewarts Creek or Bryants Grove area and see a Blue Bass Tracker pulled by a Blue Chevy 4x4 give me a hollar.Any one of them areas are good places to fish from the bank.But I dont mind you hollaring at me and if I got room in the boat we can chase some cats together.There is a well repected guy from Chattanooga told me of a bait to try and I have it works fine and is store bought.I use it more than anything as far as cats go.It is chicken breast.I normally fish in daytime since I work nights at General Mills/Pillsbury.Heck if I have help with me I like tossing juggs and trying to catch them that way.I would love to get some night off at work and be able to get out there at night and catch some but just cant.The only time I know I am off I got planned to be in West Sandy working on duckblind for upcoming season.
    Oh forgot Fall Creek area is a good place also.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    welcome to the boc there are people here who fish there they will be around soon

6. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Nate, I'd be happy to get together and fish sometime. Maybe we can learn something from each other. Judging by the pic of the big blue on your profile, you've had more luck catching the big ones than I have. I fish the Jefferson Springs area pretty much every friday morning since I have off and the wife is at work. I do catch my own shad with a cast net. Since its been getting cooler, I've had to wade out into the water to reach the shad. A month ago, the fishing was great and I was catching 5-10 lb channel cats left and right. But the last few weeks, I've not caught very many strangely enough, considering this is suppose to be prime time for cats. I went this morning and caught Nada. Crappietime mentioned Long Hunter State Park (thanks for the tip by the way crappietime), I've been wanting to give that spot a try. Perhaps we could go over there sometime. I'd be willing to drive if you know other places further out of the way. Send a private message my way if you ever need a fishin buddy to come along with you.

Tntitans, thanks for the info on the lake profiles of Old Hickory and Percy Priest. I'll have to try Old Hickory for cats sometime. I've heard through the grapevine that if you can get access, the Gallatin Steam Plant is a good place to try, especially in the winter.

7. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Ricky:
    Thanks for the tips. I work days until 3 pm so depending on your schedule, maybe I'll be able to make get with ya sometime to do some fishin'. You mentioned jugs, my wife and I took our little jon boat out over by Jefferson Springs a couple weeks ago and seen some fellas throwin tons of them out in the bend just after you pass under the bridge. They had to have thrown out at least 50! Anway, thanks again!

Jamie:
    That blue in my profile pic is my biggest yet, lol. I will admit, and I may get some comments about it, but I caught that fish out of a farm pond. I had to set it down on the bank to remove the hook, thats where the dirt and grass on its rear came from. I'm ready to catch more that that, but really just any size as long I'm catchin cats! Maybe we can all get together sometime and let Ricky school us on this catfishin' game!

8. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Well I aint no expert for sure.I love to get out and enjoy the time on the water.I would really enjoy meeting new people and fishing with new.The jug limit for each person is 50.And I got enough jugs for at least 6 people.But when I work jugs if I just got one boat there I normally only do around 50 anything more than that is a job to keep up with.I was ready to hit the water this morning when I got off work but the wife told me I had to do the family thing this evening with her parents since it is her dads birthday.So guess I will take the boat with me to work tonight and head out in the morning straight from work.

9. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Anyone going to be fishing in the Smyrna or LaVergne area Friday if it aint raining?Thinking about getting the boat out on the water for a bit.Probably be Friday morning sometime.I am also suppose to go to West Sandy and work on a duckblind Saturday and Sunday but I might have to work Friday night so if I do I aint going to be working the duckblind I will be stuck here in Murfreesboro all weekend if so I will be on the water late in the evenings Sat or Sun.

10. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Ricky-I wish I would have checked the thread before I headed out to Percy Priest this morning. I was there for all of maybe 20 minutes! lol. Wished I was out on a boat. I waded out in the water with my chest waders to catch some shad with the net for cutbait. Almost immeadiately the waders started filling up with water due to a hole I didn't know about. I figured, screw it, I'm wet anyways, so I might as well keep going. No shad to be found.:confused2: The cold, cloudy weather must've drove the shad deep out of my reach. So with no bait, I headed back home. Hope you had better luck than I did if you went out this morning.

I probably won't be back out again for a week cause the in-laws are arriving in town for a visit on Sat. and will be here until next Sat.

If you or Nate head out to the lake, give me a hollar and I'll see if I can go.

11. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Well I didnt get out there this morning like I planned on.Father in law called and wanted me to stop in at his house this morning.Seems he borrowed a flatbed trailer from a guy to haul supplies to work on our duck blind with in West Tenn.Well the trailer had to have some new lights put on it so I was the lucky one to install them and rewire the trailer.So looks like we are leaving out tonight and going to sons ballgame then leaving it to head on over to West Sandy/Springville area.Hope to get up early in the morning and get started on the blind and maybe get it all done before afternoon hits so maybe I can get back home Sat night so I can by chance hit the water on Sunday.If I know I got someone going with me fishing I dont mind heading out anyday of the week.I just hate going alone some boring talking to myself and some people look at me real hard when I am setting there telling myself a joke and then about fall out of the boat laughing at myself.Well think I am going to take a nap before the ballgame this evening.If you or Nat want to hook up with me sometime and cant get me on here my cell is 615-995-4228.Maybe we can make some plans to get out together.And if you are good at the cast net thing you can show me how it works.

12. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Any of you have any luck fishing at Percy this past week while I've been out of action due to mother in law being in town for a visit? Wondering if they're biting at all yet. Hoping I'll be able to head out to the lake next weekend if the weather cooperates.

13. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    I went out last Tues fished out of Four Corners/Hurricane Creek area had a small large mouth bass on a minnow.And then I had something big take one of my drifting rods and ran with it but time I tried to get the hook set he spit it out on me. Then it got to be about time for my wife to finish up lunch at work and I went by there to clean up on left overs.Then to the house for a nap before work.

14. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    As of now, I plan on try fishing by Long Hunter on Friday morning. You're welcome to come join me. I will swing by Jefferson Springs first to catch some shad out of the shallows. I went by this morning to see if they were still close to shore and I could see schools still cruising close by. Water is pretty cold to wade in, but hey, desperate times calls for desperate measures!

~Nate dawg, though I haven't seen you on here in a while, the offer goes to you also.

Thought I'd mention one thing I haven't mentioned yet, though its kinda important, lol. I am deaf. But I have a cochlear implant, so I can hear and lipread pretty well. I speak also, so you wouldn't have to worry about knowing sign language or anything like that :cool2:

15. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Hey I am hard hearing myself not got as bad as needing a hearing aid.Well least the wife thinks I need one but I call it selective hearing.What size shoes you wear I got some neoprene waders I can loan you to wear out in the water or maybe we can make plans to meet up and I bring the boat and catch them off it so aint no wading needed.Then on another day we can fish with the shad as cut bait or something.Fiday might be a good day for me to hook up and fish out there on Long Hunter.If so I will let you know and maybe hook up and see what we can do.

16. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Alright man, just let me know if you're game Friday.

As far as shoe size goes, I have midget size feet. lol. I wear size 9. Kind of embarrassing when I can fit into my wife's own shoes. Or maybe she just has big feet? Either way...lol. Don't know if we would need your boat to catch the shad with the net. Some days I can catch them in the shallows within wading distance, other days they're out of my reach. As long as theres clear skies and its sunny, the shad should be easy to find. Can't miss them. As of now, the forcast calls for clear skies and temps in the lower 70's. So I may not even need the waders just yet if its gonna be that warm.

Where you'd prefer to meet? We can always meet at Jefferson Springs area and than head to Long Hunter from there. I've personally never been in Long Hunter yet. If you'd rather just take your boat out somewhere, I'm game for that as well if you know some spots thats worth a try. Haven't been on a boat in a while.

Made me laugh when you told me you had selective hearing with your wife. Don't we all!? lol.

Talk to you later man.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I never had the opportunity to fish Preist....however I fished Old Hickory from the bank for over 25 years. There are lots of big fish in Old Hickory and lots of good fishing up river from the Gallatin Steamplant! You can reach some good bank fishing, but can reach even more with a boat.:wink:

18. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Hey John, Thanks for the tip. Where can you access the Gallatin Steam Plant area for bank fishing? I was always under the assumption that area around the plant was closed to the public.

19. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Friday might have to be put on hold for me.I am trying to get a gravy job at work and they got me scheduled for a some computer test on Friday morning at 7.30am.But you got my number if you are out there and want to fish some give me a call around 830am.Then I will tell you where I am at.I think most the Steam Plant is closed now to bank fishing.Since 9/11 they closed alot of it to the public and only access is now by boat.But hey weekday fishing is always good for me as long as I got someone to ride with me and make sure I dont fall asleep.But the only bad catch is I dont get home and get things hooked up and ready till about 8ish most the time.

20. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Hey man, its alright. I'm not in a hurry to get out to the lake at a certain time. Whatever works for you. The shad and cats aren't going anywhere. I think what I'll do is go catch some shad friday morning at Jefferson Springs and fish alittle. You can than just meet me there whenever and than we can head wherever you wanna go from there. If you can't make it, you don't make it...its all good man. Theres 364 days out of the year ya know:cool2: