Percy Priest Bank Fishing For Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by MrWhiskers21, Sep 13, 2009.

1. MrWhiskers21

MrWhiskers21 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am new to the middle tennessee area. Having come from western Virginia originally, I am used to rivers and streams but am lost on the big reservoirs in our area. I dont have a boat yet and therefore I am confined to the bank. I have tried most of the public access points for catfish, using many different baits, and havent even gotten a bite yet. I had great success on the rivers back home and I understand the differences in tackle and technique between a river and a lake. I cannot figure out what is going wrong. Any suggestions regarding location, time of day, bait, where to present bait in the water column, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I am not focused on huge fish either, a half dozen pan sized catfish would be perfect but i cant even seem to get to that point yet. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Get your hands on some skipjack..May try to get some down at Percy dam..Throw a jig with a twister tale and they should nail it..Cut em up and use for bait..I can't help you on bank spots on the Priest as I'm an out of towner too and haven't fished much on the Priest..Right now cattin has been slow..I've been fishing Old Hick and haven't caught much at all..I think right now you have to find some deep water..Maybe when the fall comes around and the temps start to drop they'll move back into the shallow water..The best cattin happens @ night..Hopefully someone will come around and give us some pointers on where to bank fish on the Priest..I think Greasyham fishes the Priest sometimes maybe he can fill us in..

3. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee

Ok i used to fish westpoint lake, lake lanier, and high fals back in GA now i fish kentucvky lake and lake barkley. Best advise i can give is find current, even from the bank you should be able to find some where that there is a curerent. Catfish love currents and i catch way more when they are drawing a current on the resiviors than when they are not. The current spreads your bait trail and draws em up. Also use a fast scent type bait such as a blood bait for a quicker response compared to a slow type bait such as soap. The current is the trick if you find it you find fish very simple lol. Never as easy as it sound but really current is key to catching big fish in hot weather. Current and also structure such as ledges, rocks, trees, etc.... good luck and rememeber try bleeding type baits Iforeit said skipjacks they are great very oily and smelly. Good luck and good fishing.

4. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've had my best look in the feeder creeks and mild luck at the feeder river (Stones). If you ask most folks they will tell you fish the river, but the creeks have always been better to me.
    Best access and decent fishing for me is in Stewart's creek. Daytime fishing is fine there. It's better at night, however if no one else is along the stretch I am fishing then I leave. I never feel safe at night unless there are other fishermen around. I carry a pistol but if I ever had to use it I know my fishing days are over.

What town do you live in? I can probably get you a decent spot that ain't to far on the lake or point you to one of these feeder creeks if you like.

Another real good place is Falls creek. That is near Mona which is outside Smyrna.