Perch Trap

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by outdoors1988, Aug 3, 2009.

1. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can't catch a thing in my perch trap i've used every bait that everyone has told me and no luck. I'm about ready to sell the thing. If anyone has any advise that would help please don't hesitate.:eek:oooh:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Try putting white stryofoam pieces in it. I use it in mine and catch perch. When we were camped at Wild Wood a guy showed me that it would work. He caught twice as many perch as I did with crackers and oatmeal

3. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    how did you keep it from floating to the top

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    It floats to the top of the trap, but they go in any way. When I put the trap in the water I try to drop it flat with the stryofoam about the middle of the trap.

5. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    The main thing is to put it where the perch are. In a small shallow creek or in the back of a cove. I personally use dry dog food tied in a screen tube in the center of the trap (I have a dog so its handy). I usually just leave mine in 3 feet of water overnight. If you leave it shallow you will do better if there is big fish around you are not going to catch anything.

6. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    I use dry dog food in panty hose.The perch can find their way out of my trap easily,so i just quickly pull it up every min. or so and dump my 2-10 perch in a ice chest.I figured this out by pulling the trap up with fish in it,then dropping it back in without emptying it.1 min later there might be half the fish in it.I probably need to tighten the funnels down,they are at max AR width,2 inches.I like ponds that are stuffed with bait.1 hr you can cath 150 or so with this method.:wink:

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    look, just take you some string and center it in the trap. then i take a squirt of yum, shad sent. ive build a number of these traps for myself and some buddies. do you have the cloverleaf trap? i am assuming you do. just give it a shot, i promise results. the styro foam is only a visual attractant. if its put in the trap centerd, your results will be noticeable. i chunked my traps a little to hard and knocked the foam loose a few times and each time the count was lower than normal.

8. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    any pics of these perch traps?

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Look in the member library there are several sets of plans.

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    here you go steve, here is two versions. one is a simple box trap, the other is the cloverleaf. i put the box trap in there so u could see the syrofoam center part. the clover leaf is missing the foam cause i last used it as a crawfish trap. i bait it with fish heads. the cloverleaf retails online for about $94.00 i decide to build my own for about $20.

Attached Files:

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I use a cloverleaf trap that I built using the plans in the BOC Library. I put a small 2" square by 12" long wire form in the center of my trap with an open end to the outside. It's just the right size to stuff two old stale hotdog buns inside and wire the end shut.

I place the trap in shallow water inside or next to coontail or cattail stands overnight. There are usually 20 to 50 2-4" perch in the trap by morning and the bread is gone.

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have 3 cloverleaf traps with a center bait holder. I use bread or dry dog food. I typically catch 40 - 75 perch/ trap in 1 1/2 hours. I have been using them for approx 3 years and they work wonders.

13. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Just out of curiosity, is it legal to trap perch in Oklahoma? Looking at the regs, I couldn't find anything saying it WAS legal... bluegill are listed as a game fish, so I am a little confused. I have always trapped for bait, but after studying the regs, is this illegal?

"Any person may seine, trap or transport minnows for their own use as bait, provided the seine does not exceed 20 feet in length and 1/4-inch mesh. Cast nets, trawls and handheld dip nets are lawful for taking nongame fish only as bait for personal use. "

"It is illegal to use and/or place into lakes and reservoirs of this state any container, including but not limited to drums, cans, tubs, boxes or barrels which attract, entice or lure fish into an open cavity within the container."

14. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    The traps we are talking about are legal here in Okla. Just make sure the mesh size is correct on your traps.

15. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    mudcreeker, great question, and dirtdobber, thanks for the reply, very helpful:wink:

16. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    OK, I kinda figured it was legal since no one had said anything about it, but I just couldn't find the specific rule that said anything about it. This thread got me off my butt to finally make some new perch traps since the cows stomped mine to death in farm ponds. I have yet to discover the correct tool for cutting that metal cloth close enough that you don't get any barbs hanging off the edges. I tried tin snips, I couldn't get the in there real well, they seemed to be a little fat. Tried a couple of other things, then resorted to using some old office scissors. They did the job, although not easily. They were skinny enough to get flush with the wire and be able to see what you were doing. The only modification I think I am going to use is on the top of the trap I am going to attach about a 3 foot piece of PVC pipe sticking out of the water with a BBQ grill mounted on top. Just the looks of that should keep the cattle away.... :)

17. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I haven't found any thing that will cut the hardware cloth. I cut mine about 1/2" long and fold it over. Doesn't hang you as bad. After I build a perch trap I look like I have had a hold of a mad cat.(4legged kind).

18. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Hahaha, yeah I know the feeling! I learned not to wear shorts while doing it either. Glad I ain't the only one...

19. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    Diagonal Cutters or if you want to put some time into it a dremel roto tool with a heavy cutting wheel. The dremel lets you cut and smooth the edges down without much effort. This isn't a quick methoid but it ends up nice.

20. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    MUDCREEKER- Yes it is legal to trap bluegill and other sunfish for personal bait use in Oklahoma. AWSHUCKS and I discussed the uncertainty of the law and I worked with a senior fisheries person with ODWC and we presented the proposed change for public comment at the public hearings. The change was approved and went into effect in 2009. In 2008 we effectively changed the reg allowing the use of PVC for bank poles.