Perch trap bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by tiny b, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Any suggestions on the best bait for a perch trap?

2. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    In my traps I was going to put some liver in some pantyhose. But I don't know if it will work. I cauch them on rod and reel with liver.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    You can use slices of Bread, and you can also use Small pieces of Styrofoam. It also attracts perch..

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use dry dog food for bluegill,it works so so.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was thinking maybe a small piece of cutbait....maybe skipjack?

7. flandersander

flandersander New Member

State:
    saskatchewan
    Put worms in a window screen bag. I use it for attracting them close to the boat. Or try a less fine mesh but be sure the worms can't get out.

8. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    We would always use white bread pressed into a ball til it turns to dough

9. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    i useally use bread or catfood dried dog food or use fish food that also works

10. flandersander

flandersander New Member

State:
    saskatchewan
    what kind of trap are you using??? Show pics please.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Could someone post a picture or two of a perch trap?I usually use rod and reel but a trap sounds interesting.:smile2:

12. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I got the blue prints for this one off of the BOC library. The first pic is the whole thing. The second pic is one of four holes for the bait fish to go into. (it is V shaped if you can't see it.) The third pic is on the top where I load my bait what ever it may be. There is another door where I unload the fish on the side.

Attached Files:

13. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey guy's after lot's of trial and error I have found the best perch trap bait. Now every trap I build I put in a piece of white foam that's a must. But For bait I found that your local feed store can get 40% cotton seed cubes. It looks like range cubes but it is very hard and will last in a trap for day's. It's around $10 a 50lb sack and that will last several weeks of trap running. I also use traps that look kinda like the ones in the pic and they will catch perch. Now this time of year it's tough but come spring 30 to 40 bait per trap are common in the ponds I trap in. Give it a try.

14. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    White foam, a white drink cup works fine for me. No mess to clean or bait from the trap falling into the live well. Catfishjon

15. flandersander

flandersander New Member

State:
    saskatchewan
    Do you have other pics? That just looks like a metal cube with dents in it. are the "V"'s the funnels? Why does styrafoam work for bait?

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    do you suspend your traps or let them lay on the bottom?

17. dobbie

dobbie Member

I use canned dog food in my traps.Ray do you use the foam in clear or muddy water?

18. boogie man

boogie man New Member

State:
    texas
    THOUGHT I'D PUT IN MY 2 CENTS WORTH. I'VE USED ALL THE BAITS ABOVE EXCEPT THE WORMS. THEY ALL WORKED FOR ME ABOUT THE SAME. I USUALLY USE THE BREAD OR CATFISH FOOD- MOSTLY IT'S WHAT I HAVE ON HAND BUT THE KEY IS LADIES STOCKINGS SO THEY DON'T ROB YOUR BAIT. I DRIFT FISH USING FROZEN SHAD; I TAKE 4 DOZEN IN A SANDWICH BAG ; AND ALL EXTRAS AFTER MY TRIP I DON'T FREEZE BACK. SO I USUALLY PUT THESE IN MY PERCH TRAP AND THEY WORK REALLY GOOD BUT AGAIN THE STOCKINGS. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

19. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Dry dog food works good.

20. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    The Bread , dog food, fish food and range cubes all work but plain white styrofoam works better. Don't know why but if you bait 3 of 4 traps close together with these the styrofoam will beat the others time and again.