perch problems

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by ksgoosekillr, May 13, 2009.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a tank at home im holdin anywhere from 60-80 perch in, i can keep em alive for long periods of time however it looks like either there starting to eat each other or for some unknown reason there losing scales and shown bald spots on the sides... is this just them pickin off the weak ones.... or do i need to increase my feedin times... right now i usually throw in a handfull of goldfish flakes a day plus some worms every now and then...

2. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I would bet it is a water quality problem. I have starved bluegill and greenies to death and never have they picked ate each other to the point of losing scales. I would check the ph or just buy some stress coat and add some in. It may also have to do with ammonia levels due to to many fish. Are you running a closed system or a open well water system?

3. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    Closed system, but im running 3 seperate pumps, one straight air, one for air stones, and one for filter which is a 7 stage filter design, running thru layers of amonia detox rocks, carbon rocks, batting and foam.... Use a an amonia detox liquid and there is zero foam build up on top of water... the only two things i havent check are PH and nitrogen but my dechlor chemicals take care of nitrogen... and a sign of amonia is foam build up... I keep shad alinve in a second tank built the same and there going stong for 3 months now... but these damned perch have me stumped....

4. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    another thing is though there are only 4-5 of the 80 in there with these symptoms....

5. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Matt, if there are only 5 perch with this problem the I would suggest getting rid of the 5 just in case those fish are sick. It sounds like you know your bait tanks. I would think its those fish, not your tank.

6. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Would you mind posting some pics of your tanks? I always like seein how people design their homemade tanks.

7. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Those 5 will make great cut bait:cool2: I use a few shrimp pellets only to feed them sparingly. I change out 25% of the water every few days..... I'm sure you do the same.

Attached Files:

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've never had them lose their scales, but they do tend to lose their color. My set up is just a 100 gallon tank with an aerator, the kind that the bait stores use. It has a paddle that spins really fast to make bubbles, I got that at Cabelas. Also have it to where I can drain it and fill it up with my well pump. I've got 122 in there right now for a trip coming up and they've been doing well with that set up. I think changing the water is the key. I started off with a closed system like you have. I used submersible bilge pumps first but they seem to go out after about a week, they really aren't designed for continuous use. Then I bought a big pump from lowes that did pretty good but it was so strong it would suck the fish up to it and kill them also it gave off alot of heat and made the water pretty warm. Then I just decided to go with that aerator and change the water every so often. I haven't ever had to feed them either.

9. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    if u have ur green sunfish (blackperch) in with ur blue gill the green sunfish will pick on the blue gill is the problem i have had. I seperated mine and didnt have any more problems

10. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    If your concerned about water quality, take a sample of your water to your local pet/fish store. They should have the stuff to test it.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am thinking thay are over crowded is the problem and thay are biting at one anuther

12. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think you may be on to somethin there... the only ones im getting probs with are the true bluegills... I never have to change out the water in my tanks, my filter takes care of any inpurites that may show up... and my tank is a 110 gal stock tank that is fiberglass wrapped for insulation and set in a plywood box on some pretty large casters... If i get a chance ill take a pictures of the perch tank... MY shad tank on the other hand ill change out about once a month... even though water is clear and no foam, im just more picky when it comes to the shad... plus i can get perch by the hundreds from shore where i have to launch boat for my shad...

13. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    i had that problem two years ago and it turned out the fish had ich some fish will be infected but not all:confused2:

14. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've had the same problem when storing green sunfish and bluegils together. The greenies are bullies! I've got some bullheads in my tank now. Thinking of added a bunch of gils. Might need to make a divider for it. Anybody got any ideas on a divider for a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank?

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah use window screen from the hardware store just buy the plastic kind or use chicken wire and make a 1x4 or 2x4 box then just staple both sides of the box with the net/wire that you buy.

Should work I would think.

16. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Here is a tip for you all. You can change out 20% of your water once a week and you dont have to treat it if its city water. That has always saved me some money and its a good way to keep the ammonia levels down.:wink: