Perch for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by coyotechromez, May 26, 2009.

1. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    I went out yesterday and caught several 7"-9" perch for bait to use today. I always try to fish on my birthday which is today but, when I got the truck all loaded up I grabbed my portable "livewell" with aerator, all fish were dead. Anyone know why?

2. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
    Man I have a horrible time with perch also, Where you using faucet water or lake/pond water it has to stay cool ... other then that like I said I have my problems with em too rofl

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Its gotta be either chlorine, too many perch, or the water got too warm.

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wylie,
    Are you using lake water or tap water? If your using tap water make sure to treat it with chemicals to remove the chlorine and ammonia or let it set atleast 3 days. Also how big is the tank you had them in? Over crowding can cause stress and high levels or ammonia or other toxins which will kill them. Also make sure the water doesn't get too warm.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't have any trouble with them dying in one day. I have kept 25 alive in my 30 gallon bait tank for a month. I might get one a week that dies, but never had all of them die in one day. I live in the country though and have well water, so maybe that is it.

How big is your portable livewell, and how many is several? Is this the first time you have used it or do you usually not have any problem and for some reason they died this time?

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ya they poo alot so the ammonia gets high fast. I usually throw a small bag of ice in the water each day too to keep them from getting cooked.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I've kept about 10 alive in a 5 gallon bucket for 2 days and was able to release what I didn't use. I just changed the water out 3 times a day and kept adding ice. I always made sure there was ice floating on top.
    Towards the end I only had 2 or 3 left cause the others were all fish food, so it didn't take as much babysitting.

8. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    For those of you adding ice... dont buy bagged ice or use ice youve frozen from home... only distilled water or ice that has been de chlorined.... if your having problems with bait add a cup of iodized salt for every 10 gals your tank holds... ALL SHAD KEEPER IS is COLORED IODIZED SALT!!!!.... since i switched ive saved a ton in money a 40lb bag of salt is 5 bucks, works great shad or perch...

9. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    it is a five gallon tank and there were six fish in it. i used the water from the pond i got them in, but left them in my truck for the next day, it got kinda hot. truck stunk for days!