Perch baiting help......

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by savage308, Aug 22, 2006.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I was curious if anyone has a fly lure that i could use on my kids cane poles to catch perch. Trying to keep worms or nightcrawlers on 4 kids poles is a FULL TIME JOB.... LOL I was just wondering what wisdom ya'll could give me on another option, than rebaiting hooks for hours. I know nothing about flys so please be descriptive. Hopefully something I could order from basspro or Cabelas etc.....

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Hey you may want to try poppers, they are relatively hardy and work great on small panfish we use to use them all the time and they worked great also gives kids something to do instead of just watching a bobber, you can get poppers at cabela's or bass pro etc... if you arent familiar with them they look like small painted corks with hooks run through them something like that may be just the ticket for your problem hope this helps :cool2:

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Dave, I know what you are talking about. I don't know if it is the real name or not but Daddy use to call them pop-n-bugs. He used them on a flyrod.

st

4. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Ya Tick, have heard them called by several different names we use to catch huge bluegills on them just poping them on the surface with cane poles or little zebco's sure was great fun as a kid the fish really hit them hard :big_smile:

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You could also try a Black gnat its a small underwater fly have you considered a small jig:big_smile: :big_smile: reps to you bro for taken time with the kids:big_smile:

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Thanks fellas for the help... I'll check them out and see what they have...
    Keeping them hooks baited is almost like work.. LOL but well worth it... Those smiles are the best paycheck i've ever gotten...
    God bless...

7. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    any small flies would work especially for a cane pole. though you make sure the fish cant see you or else they get smart and dont take the fly!

8. Grub Worm

Grub Worm New Member

State:
    Texas
    try berkley gulp maggots, they will stay on a hook for several fish. which should give you a little time between baiting

kudos for fishing with the kids

Grub worm

9. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    another thing that you might want to try is to use a small piece of a rubber worm that is brightly colored on a small hook.

10. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    To be young again. It wouldn't be a bad idea to teach them how to bait their own hooks. That used to be the best part.