Perch as bait for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by alton, Feb 9, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My bait of choice is skipjack and bluegill. My target fish are blues. I bank fish the Mississippi around the Alton Dam in Illinois.
    I take my 5 and 8 yr old grandkids and sometime their friends fishing with me quite often. I of course spend most of my time rebaiting their lines with worms. My question is when they catch the smaller perch, should I consider using them for cut bait instead of flipping them back. Thanks

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Of course. Usein the type of fish in the waters ya are fishin for bait is always a good idea.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Great for bait, but you may want to consider how the kids would feel about that.
    It might bother some young'ens.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The most and biggest blues I've ever caught I was useing live perch trying to catch flatheads. A swarm of blues came through and we cashed in. They are great bait. I like the alive though. Skips and shad are better for cut bait.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Bluegills are great bait use them all the time

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I would say they would there. I know in the Great states of the Carolinas they make great bait.

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Live Perch...specifically black perch or punkinseeds (they're livlier on the hook, as well as more durable than other more fragile perch/sunfish species seem to be)...are my go-to bait for flathead and big blues as well.

Cut perch works in a pinch...but live perch around here is fail safe. If they'll eat cut perch...they'd rather eat a live perch if they can locate and catch one.

The nice thing about the blues that mingle with the flathead that concentrate directly beneath the Chetopa, Ks low water dam in the spring...is that the blues tend to be a little bit bigger than most caught downstream...because they have to be or they'll get ate by a 70 lb marauding yellow when they're not lookin'.

I agree totally with Big George...match the hatch where you're fishing...and you can't go wrong.

The nice thing about perch tho...is that there's not too many places where they're not at least the top one or two forage fish.

AND...they're versatile.

I catch a large percentage of my catfish (All species) on perch...but I also get quite a few bonus tasty walleye on the smaller sized perch as well...many upwards of five pounds.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alton the bluegill/perch will do you a good job on the blues. Live or cutbait.Don't flip them back use them.:big_smile:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If its legal, use them Perch/Bluegill makes good bait.

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Perch are good while they are alive. But I haven't had any luck on using perch fillets or using as cut bait. Shad and herring always work better as cut bait.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've had good luck this winter on blues with perch heads, less luck with cut bait.

12. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Don't know about Blues, but a kid fishing for perch here in Indiana out of the Wabash river a couple of years ago was reeling in a White Perch and ended up catching a fifty pound flatty that swallowed it right at the boat. I say if they come from the river something is eating them give it a try!!!

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My 2 biggest fish last year, 58lb and 54lb blues, came on cut bluegill or cut sunfish. I would say it's worth a try. :big_smile: :big_smile: