pepperoni as bait???

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by stoney53, Aug 9, 2008.

1. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    an older fellow i met just today at the lake said he always uses peperoni for any catfish says it works great in warmer water , late in the summer/early fall any thoughts? i never thought pepperoni would be a good bait ,looking for some thoughts i bet it would stay on any hook pretty good

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There was just recently a post about a young man who fishes with pepperoni! Good luck fishing

3. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    i have never tried it. but you are the second person i have seen saying something about pepperoni as bait. let me know how it goes. i have given some thought to it.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You never know what you will hear on here that people are trying and you never know what will work till you try it.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i would rather eat the pepperoni and catch some bream for bait.....

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    You brother are a purist. That's what I like about you.

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    probaly leave a good scent trail from the grease in it

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Pepperoni tastes too good to use as bait! Bring some crackers to eat with the pepperoni, throw out some cracker crumbs to attract the bluegill, them use them as bait!

9. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I've caught several fish on the "Little Smokies" which are basically the same thing.....

10. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I meant to use pepperoni as bait once, I put it in my pack and everything. Forgot about it, until about 6 hours into the day, Got hungry and ate it.:eek:oooh: Never brought it again..

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It does work for channels. I used some old pepperoni to catch some sunny last week. They seem to love it but kept pecking it off. I finally threw it away as it was attracting the mosquitoes.

12. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I tried it once. caught nothin but bullheads worked great for them. But didnt get any channels but it could be productive in waters that dont have so many eager bullheads.:wink:

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Well at least you have lunch if the fish are not biting. :eek:oooh:

14. KentuckyCatfish

KentuckyCatfish New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never used them, but hey Im willing to give anything a try once or twice. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt work, especially in warmer water when the fish really arnt responding to the big meat as much. Either way, if you dont catch fish, atleast you have something to snack on while you wait!

15. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    works great at a local farm pond have caught several channel cats in the 3 to 5 lb range

16. festus

festus New Member

Go for it. Never tried it, but have tried the Little Smokies and the pickled Polish sausage and caught some smaller fish with it.

Pepperoni? I'd go out and buy some bread flour, olive oil, baker's yeast, some tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, some herbs like oregano and basil, a little red wine and some red wine vinegar and throw in some Italian sausage, bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms, and black olives and make pizza.

17. Jonfon91

Jonfon91 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Pepperoni does taste good but catfish taste better. I would love to give this a try

18. festus

festus New Member

I like regular pepperoni, but the catfish can have all the turkey pepperoni they want. :puke:

19. Jeffjohnston525

Jeffjohnston525 New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    When I was in my teens night fishing the river near my home in PA. Pepperoni was my go to catfish bait. I'd leave it sit out all day in the sun and get just about spoiled and it would work every time

20. Damrod

Damrod Member

Name:
    Damien
    It makes sense...it's oily and greasy and should leave a good scent trail in warm water....

But I love to eat pepperoni....

I never have any to use for bait