Peoria Dam in Illinois

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Believer, May 16, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Is there a dam at Peoria & Pekin?

Thanks!

Eric

2. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    There is a dam between Pekin and Peoria. You can get to it off route 29 going north out of Pekin.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Turn toward the river at the North Pekin lights. I think there is a McDonald's on that corner. Use to fish there all the time. Go upriver just a little bit to that grain elevator and fish there too. Lots and lots of channels that are just waiting for corn to fall off the barges. Also lots of shad between the dam and that elevator.

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks guys!
    I was wondering because I have heard people refer to the Peoria dam & others have said the Pekin dam.
    I will be up there over Memorial day weekend & may try some catfishing, but mainly I want to try to snag some of those big heads. Man those things fight hard! :big_smile:

Eric

5. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    May be up that way myself over MemDay weekend.

The Asians are scourge, but a blast to snag.

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The big head carp hit really good on crappie rigs for some reason. Everytime Im down at the Carlyle lake spillway I catch at least 3. Some of them are so big though they bust my 10lb line before I can even start to reel it in 1 foot. They are a blast to catch, but def. not the nicest looking fish I have caught. Good luck on the trip!

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    If I make it, it will most likely be late Sunday morning.
    If you see a guy snaggin it's probably me, come say hi!

Eric

8. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    You might want to check the river levels before you come. I heard yesterday tyhat they lowered the Wickets at the dam so that means the river is running wide open. Hope this helps Bo

9. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    oh-ya there is plenty of those big heads below the dam at peikin makes it hard to fish for any thing else ,do me a favor and take abunch of em

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I tried to get to the dam on Sunday to do some snagging, but was disappointed to learn that you can't fish below the dam with out a boat...