people selling to paylakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by SGTREDNECK, Aug 24, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are people selling catfish to paylakes in Tennessee? I know I have not heard about this except on the BOC. And I still haven't heard any personal experiences from TN. So has anyone heard about this going on in our home waters? If so where? Do you know which paylake they are going to. I assume its not legal in TN?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    People come to tennesse and catch big cats, then bring them back to Ohio to sell......I could be wrong but I dont think tennesse has many paylakes.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I honestly have never seen one. I found a few in KY from google.

4. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    There's a paylake on Hwy 10 not far from my house, I believe it's called kirby's but not sure, I've only driven by it and prob will never fish there, but thought I'd pass it on.
    Mike

5. festus

festus New Member

There's lots of folks in my area who fish Melton Hill Dam and Ft. Loudon Dam I am suspicious of. They keep every fish they catch three or four times over their creel limit. This includes game fish such as largemouth bass, even though they may be 6" below the size limit. I have been told they are selling to fish markets and pay lakes. These fishermen are probably here illegaly, fishing without license. Since they're here illegaly, why would they have any respect for fish and game laws? The game wardens are too understaffed to really tackle this problem.

6. festus

festus New Member

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I for one sure hope the state is not buying wild caught fish to go into paylakes :confused2:

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Has anyone here ever been to a catfish farm??

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Les as a matter of fact i have ,even hauled dirt to fill it in when the gentleman that owned it decided, it was worth more money to sell property to build houses on .As we dumped dirt in one end of the pond people where carring them out by the bucket full ,an some biggun,s to from the other end of the pond .They must have gotten 4 /5 tons of fish out of that pond .That was the most catfish i ever saw in one pond :wink:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  10. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :confused2::confused2: i know of a paylake that buying wild catfish for his pond a few knows which one i am talking bout from my state and yes commerical fishermen are taking cats from tenn and selling to the palylakes in indiana and ohio :angry::angry:

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :wink::wink::wink: i bet they also getting there fish from someone selling them to the lake

12. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I ask cause I went to a catfish farm once..And they sold 30 lb + fish too..I asked the gentlemen who owned the farm how did they get that big and he looked at me like I was stupid and said "this is a catfish farm we grow them"...I think sometimes there is a misconception that farm raised fish are all small..I even seen how they "milk" the eggs and fertilize them by hand..They had all three species plus hybrid channel/blue cats..The facility was pretty state-of-the-art too..

13. festus

festus New Member

Yes Les I have, but both of these lakes are closed now. Both also had some manmade streams and sold rainbow trout also. Fishermen were charged 12 cents an ounce for channel cats and 15 cents an ounce for rainbows. AND the fish were hungry. I saw one guy who misunderstood thought the catfish were 12 cents a pound instead of 12 cents an ounce. He kept 5 or 6 biggies and I'm sure it wrecked his wallet.

It came a big flood once and most of these fish escaped into Poplar Creek. There were fishermen lining the banks for several hundred yards. Several fish were stranded in cow pastures and the 'coons, possums, and buzzards got 'em

14. festus

festus New Member

In the 1960's until the 1980's there was a little bait shop in Roane County, TN that sold live catfish. A little stream ran underneath the building, they'd dammed it and kept the cats in there. This bait shop was open 24/7, and the owner told me he sold most of the fish in the wee hours of the morning. I asked why, and he said it was men buying the fish who had been out drinking and carousing all night and convinced their wives they were fishing when they brought back home a few catfish.:big_smile:

15. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would be interested in going to a catfish farm. Is there any left in TN?

16. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Not sure Andrew..The one I went to was in Alabama but closed down last year..

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Commercial fishermen in TN. are allowed 1 catfish over 34 inches per day, but only allowed two over 34 inches in possession. If anyone knows of violations of these limits they need to report it to the TWRA.

18. festus

festus New Member

Yes, Andrew, there is one in Baxter. I'm pretty sure Baxter is between Carthage and Cookeville. Probably an hour or so outta Nashville:

http://www.twinlakescatfish.com/

There may be one closer to you. I had a catfish farm only 5 minutes away from me that closed. It was handy if you just wanted to catch a couple to eat and not spend as much money.

19. festus

festus New Member

...and the commersh fishermen aren't allowed to take catfish out of Watts Bar Lake. The reservoir is supposedly contaminated with radiation, mercury, and PCB. Come to think about it, I've never seen a commercial fisherman in there in several years.

20. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Actually Festus Twinlakes is a paylake not a true cat farm in the sense that I'm talking about..I believe it used to be a shrimp farm though back in the days..