People in boat's disrespecting bank fisherman?

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by Katmaster Jr., Mar 11, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok is it just me, or have ya'll noticed that there are a lot of people in boat's that just don't seem to give a dang about anyone fishing from the bank? Of course it's not all boat fisherman, and pleasure boaters. But there are quite many that jsut seem not to care about bank fisherman. And let me be honest it seems to be almost all Bass Fisherman and Ski Boats, Jet Ski's, etc. I'm not saying they should completely slow down or anything like that. What I am saying is they should try to keep their distance from our fishing lines, go a decent speed, and then if we are fishing in a spot before them they should not come all up between our lines and start fishing.

Isn't already enough that they have the whole body of water to fish, ski, etc. and we are limited to a certain number of spots? I mean my dad and I have been fishing at the lake before, and this lake is HUGE, and we are just minding our business fishing off the bank in one of our 3-4 spots, and these bass fisherman come over and start throwing lures all between our lines. And that is not a one time occurance or anything, there has been many, many incidents similiar to that. We have also been fishing and had boats run right threw our lines and then look at us like we were doing something wrong.

What is the whole point of this? If I was in a boat and saw someone fishing off the bank I would show some courtesy and slow down some, stay away from their fishing lines, and not fish close by to them. Treat other's as you would like to be treated.

Just today I was fishing in a small river, and these two boats come creeping up and right when they are coming I catch a nice fish, well that ended up being pretty unfortunate. They anchored up litteraly straight out in front of me and started fishing and making a bunch of noise. So due to them I have to make shorter cast and I ended up not getting any fish while they were there. Luckily they didn't have the correct rig for these fish so they didn't get any bites and left after not too long. Then I was able to make longer cast again and started catching fish again. Also there were a bunch of bass boats that came zooming by me making waves splash water all over my stuff. Note: It was not all of them, just a majority. Going very fast threw a very small river is just not a good idea anyway though, it's very dangerous.

I really doubt that many (if any) people on here do that kind of stuff. I have never had a catfisherman do it to me anyway, it is mostly just bass boats, and pleasure boaters. If there is anyone on here that does this kind of behavior then this is a plead to please show some courtesy to us bank fisherman.

Surely I can not be the only one on here that has this problem???

Thank's, Zakk.

2. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i bank fish and boat so i have been on both sides of this little problem. if i am in my boat i always slow down and move out away from the bank if i encounter bank fishermen. when on the bank i have had pime fishing moments ruined by inconsiderate boaters. i think that is why i always try to be aware of bank fishermen.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Around here it's not just bank fishermen, if you are anchored in a boat the ski doers and bass fishermen, don't care if anyone is doing any serious fishing or not. These guys just see how fast and how close they can go by you, but guy fishing for catfish, tend to slow down and give you a break. I always thought a 2 oz. sinker chucked there way would be a nice way to say hello.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep I have seen that also. I know what you mean about the 2oz sinkers but that would just cause trouble, and two wrongs don't make a right. So I guess I will just contain the anger when I see it.:)

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If all possible I boat fish where people can't bank fish. I remember the ole days when I had no choice but bank fish so I try to give them a wide breth. Now the guys that fish on the boat ramp I don't like. They get mad because they have to move so you can load or launch.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes fishing off a boat ramp or something like that is just plain wrong. I hate that also, I think that most places it is agaisnt the law also, and for a good reason.:)

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

My biggest encounter was with a guy who was doing some work on his air boat. He was opening that thing wide up in a little oxbow lake no more that 30 yards wide that I was fishing in from the shore. Every time he went by (about 10 times) he pushed a 3 foot wave at me from 10 yards away and made enough noise to make your ears ring after he passed. There was perfectly clear water nearby where no one was fishing.

I was ready to do a stupid reaction so I packed up and went home instead.

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i tell ya nothing will peel the line of a abu faster then a jet skier that ya just hooked up with...true story..

i had my floats set up having a good time fishing when this little **** came buzzing by on a jet ski runs right over both my floats and some how manged to get my line up around his little to...so i done what any good fisherman does ........lol i set the hook.but it did do any good he never felt it and my fishing trip was pretty much up **** creek from there on out.20# test v.s a 60hp jet ski...not really good odds there:)

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Nothing makes me madder then a boater come by and look you stright in the eyes and gun it and take off,or pull up close to where your bank fishing and start throwing there lines in and out.Now there are some that when they see you will slow down or move away from you but some just do it on purpose.Places where i fish if a boater comes zipping along to fast you might as well start reeling your line in as fast as you can if not the waves WILL have you hung up.Idiots lol.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive bank fished for years and 3 years ago finally got a jon
    but i still will bank fish a little and actually i sometimes use the boat to get to an otherwise unaccessable piece of bank and set chairs up to bank fish
    for an inconsiderate act like running over your lines or blatently casting in between your lines is very wrong .
    bet the perpetraiters that try the fishing in between you wouldnt like it if some one tagged along with them all day and kept passing them cutting in front of them and pre fishing their intended spots .

that would make me want to reel mine in and launch them right at their faces. i know that sounds wrong but reading how they did you and i have seen similar things gets me riled up,cause its so uneccessary .
    there is plenty of areas to fish on most bodies of water without being
    so inconsiderate.

a friend of mine wanted me to go to opening day for trout in Mo.
    and after he explained how it was elbow to elbow fishing i declined
    i dont enjoy crowded situations like that .

while boating i give bank fishers a wide berth and it doesnt take much effort to do so .

i think people that are rude on the water with their boats or PWC's
    are products of being a spoiled kid with no respect for others.
    try this . get you some long twine and make your self a rig that has a weight on the bottom and a slip bobber set up .
    launch one out on either side of where your fishing as far as you can launch it. the end result hopefully would be that when the offending boater or jetter comes by way to close the get the line caught up in there prop.
    i had a role of twine that was military grade that was for parachutes
    i think it would have put a damper on that jet skiers day had he caught
    that anchored to a tree;) .
    definently isnt an easy answer and yes two wrongs dont make a right.
    i feel for ya though . been there.

11. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I let one high speed boat cowboy get to me one day.Normally I do'nt lose my cool when someone comes close to me in another boat and lets a wake bounce me around. This guy was making it a point to aggrivate me though. He kept coming to within fifteen feet from me while I was fishing from a 14' j-boat.After about the umteenth time he did this I decided to teach him a lesson. I had a 50' x 1/4 " poly rope aboard for a second anchor if needed. I untied the anchor from it,took the free end and put it under my foot,and threw the rest into the water.The wind current carried it away and out to where he kept passing me.You all know the poly rope floats pretty well.;)
    Next time he came at me the 100+ HP motor snagged the rope and pulled it free from my foot.That engine just stopped right away.I yelled at him and told him he just cut off my anchor line.It WAS my anchorline.:rolleyes: He put up his motor to check it and lo and behold there was a terrible mess around the lower unit.I'm not sure anything was broken from the line,but it was impossible for him to untangle it. I do believe it may have even fused together.
    Last I saw him he was paddleing away with a canoe paddle to wherever he left his trailer or to a dock.
    I hope that the engine was ok after removing the tangled mess from it, but I also hope that he would think twice the next time he thought about bullying another person on the water.

BILL

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    ahh another thread complaining about bass fishermen
    as ive said in others threads there are good and bad people in everything that is done be it fishing or even going to church. most of my fishing is bass or trout with cats taking about 10% of my fishing time and moneys. Yea i been anchored fishing for cats or even fishing for larrgemouths and had a bass boat come in and zoom past me being real close the thing is most bassboats do not kick that big of a wake at WOT mine if i go past you at 3 to 5 mph puts out a huge wake at 30 feet away at WOT my wake by the time it goes that 30 feet may be 3 to 6 inches. this aint the case with all bassboats though some people do not know how to load them to balance them properly and some are just idiots period. jet skies i wont even go there just outlaw them and ill be happy. pleasure boaters are the worst of the boaters out there for the most part as in my experiences they are just rude and ignorant when it comes to people fishing no matter what speices. never had my lines cut when fishing from shore or from a boat yet. been fishing all my life so that is pretty good. the ones that really get me are the guys that are fishing be it cats bass what ever that go past me drafting a huge wake and come in close as they should know better to do that or at least i would hope they would. one thing that i have noticed here recetly are the younger guys that are comming out with either dads boat or buying thier own and just have no clue as to safely operate it. this is why i am a firm believer and will support any bill that would ever pass for all including me to have to take a boaters safty course to get a permit to operate a boat. make it like getting a drivers license after all in california the dui laws apply to boating as well so why not make it where you need a boating drivers license too. but till that time if everyone would take the boating saftey courses that are out there now it would be a huge help for everyone shore and boat fishermen/ladies just my opinion.

13. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Thats too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have kinda same problem out here in the summer.I have a 17 ft bass boat and usually anchored and guys come whizzin by with huge 20 plus ft boats with 200 plus hp motors 10-15 feet from me.

Now when i am close to the channel i kinda expect that,but when i'm anchored well out of the channel it kinda gets me mad.I keep a few 8 oz sinkers on hand but i really link the sound of the rope effexct!

Theres a channel along the NJ shoreline along the way to a fishin hole,and bankfishermen get made at me when i go by.Yell to me to go on the other side of the river and run..........
    Well,its only about 2-3 feet there and loaded with rocks.Sometimes i'll actua;llly stop and explain this to em.#20-30 feet from the bank is the boating lane and where most boats are gonna run.Its too shallow and dangerous to run out in the middle of the river there.
    Another thing the bankfishermen tend to cast out as far as they can.......
    well,the hole is not that far out and would do better makin shorter casts....LOL

14. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I actually like the extra motion in the water and I never let them bother me unless they get into my lines. If they are stupid enough to want that mess I just cut the line and let them deal with the screwed up bearings.

15. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    if they are close enough i tell em how inbred they are. social finger gets the point across too.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Everyday bass fisherman don't usually cause any trouble but most of those tourney guys they think they own the lake.

17. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have also been on both sides of this argument. I fish a medium sized river with a jon boat, and there are certain places within my stretch of river where people bank fish where I don't even touch. They have limited access and I let them have those spots. Usually, those spots aren't the best places to fish anyways, they're just more convenient. I can't tell you how many times I've caught fish either by rod and reel or on bank poles that were set about 100 yards or so from where people traditionally bank fish. This is why when I bank fish, I usually stray off the beaten path. It always seems to pay off. My feelings on this issue are pretty much, if you're on a lake, there's no excuse for carpetbagging a bankfisherman's area or buzzing his lines. You have the entire length, and you have no navigation limits. However, a small to medium sized river is the complete opposite. Sorry bankfisherman, but you need to reel in your lines when boat traffic comes through. In small and medium sized rivers, sometimes the navigable path in the river is so small that boats don't have the option of avoiding the area you fish. I know that is true on the medium sized river that I fish as there are logs, sandbars, and reefs that can make the area one has to travel through with a boat as narrow as 10-12 feet wide. My family was out fishing one time when a group of bank fisherman who were there mostly to party and get drunk left their poles right out on a sandbar unattended with their lines casted out clear across the river. My dad was running the motor, and when he came around the corner, he noticed the people and the unattended poles and steered towards the opposite side of the river, but there were logjams stacked up on that side that limited how far over we could get. Needless to say the people on the bank lost a fishing pole that got drug in by the motor. My dad apologized and the people on the bank went nuts, and started unleashing profanity and the like. I didn't feel the least bit sorry for them, because 1) They should have been monitoring their poles, instead of worrying about jacking around up on the bank and getting drunk. A big catfish or carp would have done the same thing our motor did. 2) They need to keep their lines out of the channel if at all possible. It's different if they're there with the poles, and they can move them before a boat passes through, but it is inconsiderate, and dangerous to leave the lines out way into the channel like that. Someone in a boat could get seriously hurt. In short, these are the rules I abide by whether on the bank or in the boat. For the most part, I've gotten along famously over the years with those that fish from the bank because I'm considerate of them, and they're considerate of me. Usually, I'll even offer some pointers on where they should go to catch more fish. Courtesy is the key to bank anglers and boat anglers living in harmony.

18. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

on one the smaller rivers i fish you can not avoid doing this in some fishing holes. the people on the bank will throw from one side almost to the other side of the river and the depth of the river changes real quick can go from 5 to 6 ft. to 6 inches in a matter of a few feet so if i let out the throttle and come off plane i might not get back on plane in time and tear up my jet so if the choice is betwwen tearing up my jet and getting you wet your going to be wet

19. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Similiar story here too. We have a local bass tournament (usually 11 or 12 boats) on Tuesday evenings from 6 till 11 at one of the little lakes in Cherokee Village. I must say at this point you have to own property in Cherokee to get a sticker put on your boat before you can even launch it. Anyhow, we get into our little tournament and these old F***s get into their pontoon boats and cruise the lake making sure to get within 25 feet of each of the boats fishing. They usually keep it up till after dark then go back to their recliners.

We all feel that as we are property owners there too and that we have the right to fish the lake just as they do to go cruising. Suppose they do it just to aggravate us...and it does. Once in a while they do get a good lecture or worse.

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    My backup pole, only allowed 2, so the backup has a hook and either an once or two weight on it. Keep buzzing me and don't be supprised if you have some unwanted company in your boat. I like to practise casting with the backup and goodness if it should end up in your boat. I always try to not be aggesive toward a boater but like mentioned above they have a lot of room to fish, I on the other hand only have the area I can cast to from the bank. If you cast between my lines, then deffinetly be ready for the backup to start sailing.