People fishing my flathead catfish spot

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jason berry, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I have fished my flathead spot for four years without anybody ever fishing it. Then last year a couple boats every once in a while, but this year its got tons of boats and some of them are pushing my buttons. I dont own the river but with a river as big as the Ohio there are plenty of places to fish and if someone is anchored on a spot that doesnt mean you try to drift within 20 yards of them or anchor right on top of them.

I had a day yesterday with pleasure boaters and even fisherman showing no respect for other fisherman. I held my tongue yesterday but Im not going to anymore, I can be a hot head every once in a while and I think its getting ready to happen on the river. If someone doesnt have enough since to show some respect to a fellow fisherman maybe they need to get told very bluntly to give me some space. What do you guys think. Ive had some bad run ins before with people bein drunk but this is even worse because these guys are sober.

2. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    i feel your pain. i would probably voice my opinion to someone trying to fish on top of me. they have a right to fish just like me, but if they are within casting distance, they too close. i would not argue with a drunk, they might pull a gun. you might want to have a second honey hole to fish. after all you are out to have a good time fishing, not to fight.

3. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I know how you feel! It sucks that some people have no respect! :angry: It sounds like its time to do some exploring might be a blessing in disguise you might just find an even better spot? :big_smile:

4. gb306

gb306 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Ya anymore you cant fish wit out some one eather fishing on top of you or flying by wright next you when there is a whole river they can fly down or even go to the middle.Some times its best to get in peoples ass to let them .Its bad enough we got all the bass fisherman wanting to try the sport due to size and the fight,But the bad thing about it is that they dont know what there doing and end up takeing the good spots for no reson.....I FELL YOUR PAIN :big_smile:

5. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Aslong as you enjoyed your four years prior... But i agree with you, theres NO respect anymore. I've gotten to were in the summer months i either fish at night or visit other bodies of water. Smith Mountain Lake here in VA is way to populated with unrespectful folks.

Any more a secret spot dont last to long. A couple guys see you fishing one or two spots and you've showed some pictures of big fish from the past, we'll you can do the math... Followers are getting common here. Mostly striper fishermen. Its not uncommon, for you to pass them and have them pack up and follow you to were your going. One morning this past June. I had 4 boats inline behind me, to were i went. And I was just scouting around...

6. wisco_fisher

wisco_fisher New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I'm torn between the two sides. Good spots on the river are going to be noticed and fished. Nothing last forever, my real issue is for people who hit those good spots and take bigguns(or club em and leave em) out and home. Who knows while searching for a new spot you might hit the jackpot ;), I know though thats a hard one to swallow.

7. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Try bounceing a 6oz. No Roll sinker off the side of his boat,

cliff

8. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would take some emty bottles or something to throw at thier dumb asses!! when they went wizin by me they would have something wizin by them when they went by!!if they could'nt respect me i would'nt find a new spot to respect them!!we would be dealin with it on the spot!! but thats just me!!

9. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well to be honest, people fishing in spots that I like (notice I didn’t say MY spots) have made me a better fisherman. Pressured spots are just that, pressured. What that means is that the fish are going to move out eventually. There will be initial success, but then they will find a new home.

I used to let this sort of thing bother me, but like you said it’s a big river and thousands of other places to fish.

I hate to sound harsh, but if you want to fish a specific spot bad enough and know there’s a chance someone else might be there, simply make sure you are there before them.

Now if you happen to be sitting anchored at a spot and someone pulls up on you, that is kind of a different story and I would hope that a fellow Catman would have the respect to move along. Getting into a shouting match might feel good, but never has positive results.

10. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    amen!!!

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Be careful Jason. I had this happening to me a few years back. I would be anchored in my favorite spot and the same guy came and ancored next to me 3 days in a row. The first day I didn't say anything. The second day I asked him to politely move a little down river. He said he can fish where ever he please and he actually got closer. So we exchanged words and I went to another spot. On day three I left around noon and went back to my favorite spot and ancored all along, I was really getting into the blues. Nothing huge but they were getting bigger around 10 pounds. Then I hear a boat coming down the river. Jokingly my buddy says here he comes. To out surprise its him again. He ancores almost on top of our lines. He is shitface drunk. I have had enough so i tell him to whats on my mind. He pulls a gun on us. And says he will just as soon shoot us than move out of his fishing hole. To his surprise he has three guns pulled on him and a few rounds put in the trees across the river. he fell down in his boat. Didn't say anything pulled ancore and left, with no more trouble. I didn't see him again on the river.:smile2: Always be prepared for the worst. I was not taking over his fishing hole. I had never seen this man on the river until he started following us. He is really lucky I didn't shoot him, pull a gun on me, thats fine, but pull a gun with a lady on board, thats crossing a line that shouldnt be crossed.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    As you say Jason, no one can own a spot on the river and a place we might consider to be ours may well have been someone elses before us.
    BUT, there are such things as common sense and respect and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of it around today.
    A couple of months back I motored about 10 miles up river to fish a spot that I was sure would be holding fish. Low and behold there was another boat exactly where I wanted to be. That's just the way it goes. I didn't even go to that side of the river. 1. Because he was there first and, 2. I never show any sign of knowing about a spot when there are others around.
    That's just the way it is.
    Let us know when you plan to give those guys a bollocking, maybe we could gather round and watch...W

13. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    You can't fix stupid:angry: I've tried

John

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    It makes me mad when Im already there and anchored it would be different if they would keep there distance or if they were there first. I used to carry a gun in Arizona when fishing because I was so close to the border and had some bad experiences out there, but in Indiana I dont feel I need to while fishing but just sent off the consealed permit paper work. I use my fishing buddy the doberman Samson now for protection. He lets boats know when there to close especially yesterday.

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    IF you are there first (and it is not one of those common spots,,, a dam or such like) have at it!

Blast some annoying music, Tell 'em about your aunt Edna's hysterectomy in great detail over and over, snag their lines, chuck a few "cherry bombs" into the water, crank your boat up and do circles around them,,, whatever it takes, and whatever you are willing to do.

Shoot, if they are drunk, just pick up the cell phone and give the Coastguard a call. Let them deal with it.

Or maybe follow them back to the ramp, call and let your local LEOs have 'em.
    DUIs are very expensive. They might even have to sell the boat to pay for it. :wink:

16. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Been there done that. I just pull anchor fire up and wake the hell out of the spot when I leave. I went to night fishen just to get away from them that wanna park on ya or follow you. I dont mind sharen a hole heck done it lotsa times. But some think they own the river and can do whatever they want. Sad them kinda folks endup with a boat full of holes sometimes or worse. We out there to fish not fight.

17. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    ive had the same problem this year, and i cuss em for every thing they are worth, and if they cross my line i try to jerk their pole out of thier hand,i had my kids with me the last time wich probably saved me from goin to jail.im not a violent person until someone moves in on my honey hole, when theres 200 hundred miles of river they can fish other than beside me in a boat.and i also try to cast across all their lines,it didnt take long they got the message thou!!! people say im crazy and should just let it go, but i cant:angry:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If you are there first and they and they anchor upstream of you, they are leaving extra scent trail that could be to your advantage. If they anchor downstream of you and you deem them too close, take a dump over the side of your boat, making sure they see you do it, and let a turd float down to them. :wink: If you are NOT there first, well they have dibs on the hole, plain and simple.

Bill in SC

19. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i know i sounded a little harsh in my post, but i fish from the bank and this jerk anchored 30 yds beside me and cast strait across my lines knowing they were there!!! if that dont make a feller mad nuttin will:angry:

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tough call if you are bank fishin'. Hard to imagine anyone throwing their lines across someone on purpose as that would result in a nutroll for them too. Maybe they were too stupid to see your lines stretched out. Hard to picture from here behind the keyboard.

Bill in SC