People Fishing at the Boat Ramp!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Katmaster Jr., Aug 11, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I just now was thinking about something that I'm sure a lot of us have had aggrevation with.

Now, I've been fishing on the bank for years until just recently and never once did I ever fish anywhere that was disrespectful to boaters or against the law. Well for the past few weeks there has been the same two people fishing off the dock at the boat ramp all day. It has got to be one of the most aggrevating things I've ever seen, esspecially since the people act very rude when you come up there to get your boat out. There is only one small dock where everyone puts in on the end of the lake, and they stand on the end of it and cast out, the fishing is not even good there. Then when you come up they sit in the same exact spot the whole time and look at you like you're the one doing something wrong. We were pulling up there yesterday morning and there was a lady putting a boat in by herself and I guess she didn't want to ask them to move or something, so she actually climbed in the water and unloaded her boat and then beached it on the rocks while she parked, she didn't look too happy about it eithier, and it held everyone up, and all because of these morons fishing at the boat ramp. Then we pull up thier and basically I just was tired of it and acted like they weren't there, I pulled the boat right beside thier line and stepped right up in the middle of all the stupid tackle and stuff they had laying out there so I could get the boat on the trailer without having to go in the water and climb all around on the trailer trying to pull it up. They just gave me a real mean look.

But anyway, it just really ticked me off a lot. I'm surprised they haven't gotten caught by the gamewarden yet, they definitely need to be caught or something.

Has anyone else had this problem also?

Zakk

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree bank fisherman should stay away from baot ramps.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, it wouldn't be quite as bad if people were respectful enough to reel up and move out of the way when you're trying to unload or load your boat. But it's illegal for that very reason, not everyone cares enough to move out of the way.

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yeah I've seen it both ways. Folk's on the dock fishing & Boaters running over the lines of bank fishermen. I use to fish the chann. of the lake and the boat ramp was at the end of the chann. I would always bring my lines in when I knew a boat was passing,never really had any trouble with the boaters. But other folk's would just leave their lines out & even be casting toward the boats as they passed. Folk's on the dock fishing and getting mad when they had to move for boaters. Yep I've seen some real hum dingers one day this guy was fishing on the dock a boat came up and he got into it with this BIG guy and the big guy kicked this guy's tackle box into the water. Then one afternoon this airboat put in and he was at the ramp for a while,long enough for everyone to reel their lines in. Well he starts down the chann real slow and these 2 drunk guy's on the bank started running their mouths and didn't move their lines. Next thing I know the airboat gunned it and ran right up on the bank ran over one of their R & R and knocked the rest of them down. I LMAO both times.LOL

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh yeah, when we were on the bank we had a lot of bad incidents with people in boats that weren't respectful at all, funny thing is, it was thier prop that got the line tangled all up in it.

As far as those two stories you just told us, now that's pretty funny, but dumb also...lol

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    At one of the lakes here we have a dock where some people will do the same thing Zakk, and I do just as you did get out and step all over there stuff. There is a fishing dock not 100 feet away and some people want to fish at the boat dock, so thats what they get from me.:smile2:

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    lol, their the ones doing something wrong so I don't feel bad at all stepping all over their stuff, and if one of them ever says something to me about it, all thier stuff will go in the water and they might too. LOL!

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I know what you mean about the looks, but like you said I'm not the one doing wrong.:confused2:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'll do my best to respect others when they are fishin. But, I suggest ya not be at the ramp when I launch. LOL!

10. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Vern(Vlparrish) and I have ran into a couple of rude boaters as well as bank fishers. A couple of people see us pulling in and just set there with their lines out. Well, I just step over them and get in the boat. I figure if I trip and go in the water, I'll take them with me. But most people on the dock usually reel in and move for us. We've also ran into some boaters who were jerks. I HATE it when these "pleasure" boats come flying bye when you're trying to fish. They don't slow down and almost knock you out of the boat. Vern always slows down when he nears another boat. We were fishing one day and a boat came swerving up the river and flew past us with probably only 8-9 feet between us. It just about swamped our boat and scared the he@# out of me. IMO, I think people should have to pass a water safety/rules test before they get their boat licensed. It might be an inconvience for people, but maybe it would educate some. just my opinion.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here! i have had folks see me pull up and cast from the dock across the ramp area i guess hoping i wont put in.......WRONG, i will back right over their lines! a boat ramp and dock was built to launch a boat, not to fish off of. havent had anyone get angry or violent yet but have had a few go scrambling for their poles after i hit their lines.now that was a funny sight:big_smile:

12. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've delt with that a couple of times it is very iritating, I also like to fish of the bank as well as in a boat but what about these guys in boats that will pull up and start fishing where you are casting to fish off shore?

13. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    If it is not posted with a sign do not fish off the boat dock there isnt much you can do about it. I have found most people that will fish off the boat docks are rude jerks anyways. I have come to the point when I go to this one ramp which is posted do not fish off the dock do not block the ramp and they are i will just push thier crap and them into the water I dont give a rats butt weather they can swim or not. i will also back my boat right down agasint thier vehicle and then tell them its thier problem not mine they will need to go into the water with it to go around me. They seem to learn fast when you do that to them once in a while.

14. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Then the boaters should stay away from the banks.

We bank fish and sometimes we do fish at the ramps, if there's no or very little boat traffic. When we see a boat getting ready to load or unload, we move our stuff until they are done, then we go back to fishing.

I wish some boaters would be a little more courteous to bank fishers?

Nothing I hate worst then setting there on the bank (not near a boat ramp) and some boaters come by just as close to the bank as they can get and messing your line up. You can expect it in a small river, but not a lake.

I agree, boaters and bank fisherman should work together so everyone can enjoy the water and catch a few fish?
    Us bank fishers only have limited spots we can fish, and you boaters can go just about anywhere you want, so why do some boaters insist on fishing where you are trying to bank fish?

One of the places we like to fish, they have built a fishing dock beside the bridge so people without a boat would have a place to fish. There wouldn't be a boat in site until you catch a fish, then all of a sudden, there will be so many boats, us bank fishers can't even cast without hitting a boat.

Let's work together guys!

Ken

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The sad part of it, that ramp/dock was probably built with your tax dollars. That means they have as much right to use the ramp as you do. Now, I will agree that there is such thing as manners - and they are not demonstrating any.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree with you, like I said I banked fish for years and expeirenced some bad stuff from very rude boaters, everyone should respect each other. But in NC it is illegal to fish off the boat ramp area at all, don't know about other states.

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Yeah if they did that it wouldn't realy be a problem, but they probably think it is there to fish off of, and not for loading and unloading boats. They are either misinformed or they do know what it is for and are just rude enough to not care.

18. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    up here in pennsylvania the game commission will set aside a spot for severly handicap people and children to fish from... but if adults fish there they will most likely get a fine..........

19. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Well, let me ask you this question? Is there a no wake zone at the ramp? If not I personnally would take a SAFE but rather sharp turn as close to the dock as I could and see what happens. I fish of Ramp docks sometimes but I am like everyone else here. I will always move and give the boaters the right of way since that is why the ramp was built in the first place(to launch and recover boats). I personally have knocked stuff in the water from others trying to get our boat out of the water.

20. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    No, the dock was paid for by one of the local store owners.
    They had it built so people without a boat would have a place to fish.

Ken