People bank fishing at boat landings

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by DCcatfisher, Apr 24, 2009.

1. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anybody else has had any "problems" with people fishing off the banks directly beside boat ramps. This past Sunday I was coming back in to a landing on the Yadkin River in Rowan County and had to fight my way through a crowd of people that were fishing on the bank directly beside the landing just to get my boat loaded on the trailer. One of my friends came into the same landing later that day and caught one of there lines in his prop that was cast across the ramp. Fast forward a couple hours later and once again I was taking my boat out at another ramp closer to home here in Davie County and the new floating dock that the NCWRC had just completed for the use of lauchning and recovering boats was covered by more people, some fishing with rods, others with strings tied to cans and bottles. The ones with rods had them laying down on the dock hanging over the sides and looked at us like we were crazy for trying to pull a boat up to the dock. When we were within a couple feet of the dock I finally told them to get there rods or they were going to get broke, had that happened you could only imagine what the outcome could have been. Once again I had to fight my way through a crowd just to get up to my truck and to get my boat on the trailer. I am not trying to talk down to people fishing of the bank, I done it for years myself before buying a boat, and have done it since buying one, though not as often. I guess the real question is what do you think could be done about this, there is more than enough room for people to fish at most of the landings I use without having to crowd the ramp. Do you think the NCWRC could designate and enforce some sort of "minimum" or "reasonable" distance rule that would help.

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i get this at times the easy thing is to call the warden and let him give out some tickets, I have no problems clipping the tips of rods on the docks of where i launch my boat, there is a sign there no fishing off docks. do this a few times and they will get the idea real quick or better yet let the bow of your boat hook up on the lines and take them the rods for a boat rod off the dock. if you have a vhf radio the officials are on ch16 most times at the yakin chain.

3. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Had the same problem here in Pa. on the Susquehanna River. They were actually on the ramp. Did not move an inch. Pulled in about 30 yrds from land prop caught one line and the rod disappeared.They did not say a word to me about. They probably couldn't speak english. No respect or concideration for your fellow brother. Had to cut a bunch of line off the prop.

4. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I've been on both sides of the argument...they both suck.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The worst time is the weekend, especially at night. Honestly, I kinda feel sorry for the folks since they don't have enough money to own a boat and access to public fishing area is very limited on most lakes.

The folks fishing off the bank don't bother me as much as the folks that park their cars in the turn around area for the trucks/trailers. This causes a problem, and really annoys me because they are simply too lazy to walk an extra 100 feet to the parking area.

I would sugeest contacting the NCWRC everytime you see this happen, no matter what time of day. The toll free number for reporting violations in NC is (800)-662-7137. If they get enough complaints, and the officers are called out enough, they will put the pressure on to stop it. :wink:

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Here in Kansas I blame the KDWP for not allowing for more bank access, and most of the "dock" fisherman reel in when they see a boat coming, i'll wait if I know they're trying to get out of my way.

7. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    same problem trying to get behind the dam at badin, there is a very narrow channel that boats go up to get to dam. even though there is about a mile of shoreline and other places to fish there will be 20 corks floating in that channel.
    I watched a boat one day I guess he was fed up... he went through and never let off. I couldnt understand what they were yelling but it wasnt good:smile2:

8. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Thats funny Jerry cuz i was thinking the same thing. Its a tie on badin between the juggers taking up the whole upper river and the guys fishing off the rails of the dam.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How can there be two sides to this? Ramps are for boats period! Why would anyone in their right mind think other wise? I wonder, would those same people pitch a tent on a public volleyball court, or maybe skate board on a freeway off ramp? lol It never ceases to amaze me how some folks place blame on others for their own ignorance. I've been fishing the banks for fifty years and have never seen the need to set up on or near a ramp. :roll_eyes:

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Same story here in arkansas & probably everywhere else....usually they will scurry around here to get them in!!:wink: Not sure on the laws or even if they will enforce them.....Iv'e waited to launch for several reasons ..lawn chairs, :tounge_out: rod-holders:smile2: ice chests:wink: & a dude overhauling his outboard on the ramp last year!!!:crazy: I tell ya what i think is worse than ramp fishing is the "riders" who park their vehicles in the boat-triler sections & they dont have a boat....To me that is much worse...there not there to tell to move..we can clear a ramp pretty easy:smile2: Should be an ordinance if ya ask me...

11. goldsborocatbuster

goldsborocatbuster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So what do you do when you see someone fishing from a bank 10 miles from the ramp? Ill tell you what most of the boaters do... They speed on by like nobodys even there... So its not ok for someone to fish by a boat ramp but its ok for a boater to speed on by a bankn fisherman? By your thought there should be no bank fishing around the boat ramps... Should the opposite be the same? No boating near the banks? Come on, have a little courtsy! Mosyt the boat ramps around here are public access fishing spots, not JUST for boaters... Just suck it up for the 10 minutes it takes you to load and unload your boat and let everyone fish...... Kinda bias if ya ask me.. But who am i to say? Oh, I do have a boat as well......

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    My thoughts on the subject ; I don't believe anyone is against people fishing the areas around a boat ramp [banks ].It is the ones that r fishing off the docks how ever small '
    put in for the boats while loading an unloading,that has people upset.

I know i don't want to cut anyone's lines ,but they should not be fishing rite in the boat ramp with lines blocking the ramp. The bank fishermen could move a few feet from the ramps, an not cast across the ramps ,an there is no problem,but the boats can not move away from the ramps to load an unload.

Like i said to being with; These are just my thoughts ,we all just need to show respect, for our fellow fishermen an fisher women :cool2:

13. goldsborocatbuster

goldsborocatbuster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with ya.. Respect should be shown both ways...

14. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    T OMMY IF THEY DON,T THEY NEED TO ; all areas around here at least a couple hundred yards either side ramps are no wake zones ,so there shoud be no problems . Just because you r fishing a tournement doesn,t give anyone the right to run over anyone else's right to us the water :wink:

15. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    We have a ramp on the Dan River here in Eden that I use every now and then and bank fishers use alot. When I go there 9 times out of 10, people are on the dock fishing and and sometimes have lawn chairs set up on the ramp. My thought is this, I'm out there to have fun and I'm sure they are as well. Christie and I always stop the trailer short on the ramp and start getting the boat ready to launch. We've never had a problem, they start clearing the way to the ramp almost always. We have ended up having some good conversations with some of the people we've met fishing on the ramp. They're fellow fisherman as well in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I bank fish, and sometimes around a launch area. But I know that my line will get tangled if I don't move it. It seems like common sense to move somethnig that is in someone's way.

My problem is boaters that come along the bank by the dock on the lake closer than they should be, and run over lines that have a bobber right out in front of them. If a fisherman in a boat is fishing close to shore, I will either raise my line or make sure its under water so it don't get in his prop.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have zero tolerance for boaters that cause wakes and run close to the bank. This thread is not about them. Actually the two problems have nothing in common except for fishing. Someone start a thread about crazy boaters and I'll get on my high horse about them too! lol :wink:

18. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i saw people fishing on the boat ramp and werent wanting to move when a guy wanted to put in.

19. CHICKEN

CHICKEN New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Peolple have NO respect for people anymore! I agree they should not be on the dock unless they are loading or unloading,but there was one time when I was loading,water was rough and I was having a tough time getting on the trailer correctly and from off the dock this Hispanic jumped down and helped me ! I thanked him and went on my way,But they still should not be on the docks PERIOD!!!

20. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That is a tuff one.I would just ask them to move and if they didn't report them.Most people just want to fish and will move befroe a boat gets there but you do have some dummies out there that think they own the spot there fishing in.