pensacoala dam spillway fishing opps.

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by ksboy2, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ksboy2

ksboy2 New Member

State:
    G'burg, KS
    hey okies...
    i'll be down there march 3-16 to 3-18... we are staying in pine lodge in ketchum and i noticed that the dam isn't too far... i may try to slip away for a couple hours and do some fishing....
    what fishing opportunities will be available below the dam in mid march....
    i certainly understand the release has a huge affect....
    just looking for some advice in general
    thanks
    kirk miller
    mapleton, ks

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    So your gonna be in one of the cabins or rv site, i live 1/4 mile down the road from there, we've got alot water running down there now, full generation and for about a week the've ran little blue, the sand bass haven't showed up for 2 weeks now should be good though on your date, when they slack off some water, there is a few spoonbills showing up right now, you can only snag from bridge down, should catch a few hybrids also, hope that helps you some

3. ksboy2

ksboy2 New Member

State:
    G'burg, KS
    thanks man...
    thats about what i figured...
    hoping the whites move up there that would be a fun time.
    i usually throw shad type plastics and rattle traps in the spillways i fish up here in kansas..
    any advice?
    we are in the cabins...

4. ksboy2

ksboy2 New Member

State:
    G'burg, KS
    [​IMG]

5. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    down there your best lure or bait is gonna be the bucktail hair jigs, blue and white, green and white, but hair jig none the less, after that spinners, they cut off quite a bit of water yesterday, there gonna start up here pretty quickly

6. ksboy2

ksboy2 New Member

State:
    G'burg, KS
    sgl,
    thanks for the heads up... i pretty much fish tubes and do well with them, but i'll pick up some bucktails....
    don't let that blue/white secret out! thats about all i throw for crappie...
    thanks for the tip on the fishin

7. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well kirk if you see me up there, i'll be glad to give you some i tie all my own jigs, you should be running right in time, they've been doing good for about 5 days now, remember call the game warden on any leoAsians you see hauling more then 20 fish to their vehicles, there already showing up in big numbers.

8. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey SGL do ya'll catch many skipjack up there? thats what I am waitng for down here, were in about same situation on lock & dam 15 on the arkansas river its about time to catch some bait. Surely by the end of the month it will be pretty good if these temps stay the same.

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey Randy, hows it going down there? still need to get down their and do some fishing , no we don't catch them skips, wish though, yah we've got a good start with the first sandie run, or atleast i am, cant say for everyone else, i need to get some bait also, my boats crapped out on me temporarily

10. juniors

juniors New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i meant to make up there today, wondering what the waters like?

11. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    boy oh boy, i was there earlier today, it's up and predicted to be 752 by friday, not looking so good, the sand bass are turned off from the banks in this high water, i'm gonna run down river aways for some cats if i'm not on the lake, try some flooded creek arms, the spoonbill sure are thick though they're lovin it, i'm not have to do some more walkway repair again

12. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I'm gonna wait til they close some of the gates down there before i head down that way. I know the blues really bite when they generate. I have never had any good luck over the years over towards little blue though. will keep the GRDA info number handy and as soon as i hear it the news I'll try and haed south to the dam.

13. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    it's still to early to catch any blues up theie now, man i can't beleive you haven't had any luck over at little blue you can absolutley slay them for about 2 to 3 weeks after they shut the water down, that is if its from june thru august

14. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Matt,

The only things I have ever caught at little blue were shad, skeeter and ticks. It must just be the way I hold my mouth when i fish over there. I always had better luck below the dam when they are generating.

15. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    you were probably holding it right, just not at the right time, there will hardly be a spot to fish all the way around little blue when it's time, but it's best to get their right after up for the first week