Pennsylvania wild hogs?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by zeboman, May 13, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Last December the Pa. State Supreme Court ruled that the game commission was responsible for doing something about the invasive free-roaming feral hogs in Pa. The commission`s solution to this hog problem is to let hunters shoot hogs 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year in 64 of 67 counties. In the other counties the U.S. and state Departments of Agriculture will trap the hogs, these counties are: Butler,Bedford, and Cambria. The state is not calling this a hunt they are calling it an eradication or extermination because the hogs compete with wildlife and do lots of damage to food sources. I support getting rid of these hogs but I don`t know what they are talking about,I`ve never seen a wild hog in Pa. I would appreciate any feedback on this issue,I`m just baffled by the supposed hog problem.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The first time you see a place where hogs have been rooting, you'll get the picture. They will destroy a hay meadow.

In addition, hogs will eat anything they come across, including the young of just about every game animal and bird in the area.

And then, there's mast...they compete directly with game for a finite food supply.

There really isn't anything good to be said about them.:sad2:

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well, they taste good dave! haha i said something good about them. dave's right when you see an area they are in or have been, it will be vandalized. if you can find you a food source and/or bedding area, get you a spotlight and hit the feeding place at night. i use a semiautomatic for this, my SKS. flattens them almost every time. my record with the factory mag is 8 pigs out of 11 shots. not bad when all hell breaks loose!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They are especially destructive in hilly terrain due to the erosion that their rooting causes.They destroy crops and domestic stock.They are also a predator and have have been known to take down full grown armed hunters.Extremely rare but true.They are a danger to all in the woods.

They are completely unpredictable whether wild or domestic.Several times I have had domestic petted hogs try to kill me and yet roll over minutes later for their belly to be rubbed.I have had a wild born Russian Boar blood mix grown woods free sow become tame to hand feeding,ear scratching and belly rubbing.

Pot Bellied pet pigs often spend a lifetime as the family pet.I have heard that some long time family pet ones have tore a child's hand off and eaten it.I believe it.The reason I believe it is that I have known,raised and caught domestic and wild hogs for a good part of my almost 63 years.

Now for the big reason that I honestly believe that the Courts are getting involved in Ferrel Hogs has nothing to do with any of this.The reason is this.They can do a hundred thousand dollars worth of damage (yep $100000.00) overnight to a judges favorite Golf Course and take days to fix.Sad to say,I really and truly believe this has had more to do with the judiciary getting involved in feral hogs than any destruction to a farmer livelihood,safety or a child's death ever has.They have their priorities and Golf is a very high priority on their ladder.You can not possibly allow a hog to interfere with a judges tee time.After all.Their time is valuable as the taxpayer is paying him during this time.With more judges and more Golf courses,the problem is escalating at a alarming pace.Although I personally think it is funny.I also think it it terribly pathetic that we the people have allowed such as this to be.Check it out for yourselves!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    All I have to say is give me my bow, a few dozen arrows, sharp broadheads, a good blind and a CORN COB stabilizer for my bow, gas to get to Pennslyvania. Lets have some fun!!:wink:

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thank you for your input guys,I`m going to contact the game commission to try and find out where these hogs are and start hunting them.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Dan, the only place that i am sure of and that is closest to you and i is up in Somerset. i haven't been able to find out exactly where up there yet but i saw an article in the paper and that was one of the places mentioned. there is a guy at work that lives up that way but i haven't seen him lately but if i find anything out i will let you know and maybe we can do some hog hunting of another sort.

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Let me know what you can find out brian.

9. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    sHere in Knox City, texas most of the men carry a rifle withthem and if they see one they shoot him. The hogs have about killed all the quail you cant hardly find a pair quail. They probably eat ykoung deer and turkeys. They are a real problem here. You better do something before they take over like they have here. Thanks Sam Davis

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Dan, i talked to the guy at work i told you about and he said there is a high fence ranch somewhere around somerset that offers wild boar hunts on their property and that over time some have gotten out. that is why some people have seen them up that way. supposedly not very many around but with the way they reproduce that might not be the case in a few years.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe that the severity of the northern winters are the best hog control that there is.Many starve and freeze.Thank God we do not have Cold adapted pure blood Russian Boar to deal with.The thin blood mix some have is bad enough.

Bears,Feral Hogs,Cougars,Wolves,Coyotes,Skunks,Coons,Rattle Snakes,Cottonmouths,Black widows and Scorpions are great and wonderful creatures as long as they are in some one else's back yard,fields,gardens and homes.

Russian Boar escaping from a hunting preserve in the Appalachians is why the blood is now mixed in much of the feral hog population in the Southern US all the way down into Florida.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    From what the article said the hog problem is across the state but I`ve never seen a hog in Pa. , but if I do it`s getting shot.

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Zeboman, I know for a FACT that we have hogs much closer than Somerset. There was an elk/deer farm in West Winfield, about 5 minutes from my place, that a guy bought a few years back. The guy decided that he was going to put some Russian's in too but the problem was the fence was only designed for elk and deer, it wasnt buried in the ground at all. According to regulations, a fence for hogs has to be buried a min. of 3 feet in the ground or they will just root right under it. Long story short some of the hogs got out. About the same time the guy found that someone was cutting the fence to get to the bucks. I never heard for sure exactly how many hogs got loose but think about this.... usually sows will have 3 litters a year, about 10 piglets per litter, by the time the sow is having her third litter the first litter is old enough to breed. I had only heard speculations about the fate of the hogs that got loose but last week 2 full grown hogs crossed the road in front of a VERY VERY reliable source about 3 miles from where they escaped. I will try to find out some more information soon but come fall I think its gunna be WWIII in West Winfield.

14. cathousemouse

cathousemouse New Member

State:
    White, Pa.
    Hello everyone, hope you dont mind if I put my 2 cents into this. First off Im new here and I must say that there seems to be some wonderful people and some very good information so I hope no one minds if I just kind of jump in. I have some thoughts on the hogs in Pa. I have followed this thing from the start with the state. I have talked to 3 different "Game commission officers" that all say that there is a state wide problem with hogs, there destroying farm land, causing crop damage and all that. Well after trying to find out where all this damage is after talking to them, alot of farmers from a wide area and a whole lot of hunters that belong to clubs and hunt private land all over this state I have come to one idea. There is no problem in Pa with hogs. There may be a few out there Im sure of that but NO ONE can point me in the direction a wild hog in this state. I have spent the bigger part of 2 years trying to get information and Im still at the very beginning. I have sent emails to the game commission that go unanswered, called game officers from one end of the state to the other, talked to hunting shops and even put up public notices looking for info. I have even gone as far as calling on a friend of a friend that is a state offical in Harrisburgh to look into it and he cant find out anything either. I have read the same newspaper reports that everyone else has but I dont believe there is a problem like they say there is. I would surely love to find some in the state because hunting is a favorite past time for me and my sons and we would love to try our luck at them but as I said I cant find out anything on them. I hope someone else has better luck than myself and would be kind enough to pass along the info. Good luck on this one is all I can say, Im at the end of my ideas to find out anything.
    Hope everyone has a great day.

15. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Russ, first off welcome to the BOC. I agree with you that there is definately not a statewide problem at this point. It seems that there are pockets of them right now near where they have been let loose/escaped from "canned hunt" farms. This is the situation in my area. The only positive thing about these hogs is if they are in an area it is pretty easy to tell that they are there. They leave sign everywhere! As I said before, I had a reliable source tell me that he saw 2 full growns about 3 miles from where they escaped. This area is extremely steep and overgrown and has a few small creeks and one large one running through it. With the heat of summer now here, Im going to bet that some wallows are going to start showin up. I'm going to check it out here in the next week or so, and if there's good sign I'm roundin up a posse.

16. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Two kind of ranches here in Texas: Those with hogs and those about to get them. I truly LOVE to hunt hogs and take 6-10 a year, mostly with my bow. But... I understand the trouble and expense they bring. No way they will ever be eradicated; they are just too smart for that but, through hunting and trapping,their numbers can be kept in check. Take one of my favorite hunting spots, for instance. BIG WOODS ON THE TRINITY. www.bigwoods.net.... Dr. Mcfarlane probably knows a much about hogs as anyone I know. Each winter, he as hog hunter from all over the country. They shoot 400-500 every year and, truly the numbers keep bouncing back. Wild hogs are here to stay and, truth be know, the vast majority didn't escape from Farmer John's pen, they were planted as an anternative animal to hunt.
    It doesn't suprise me that they are showing up in PA.. or any other state, for that matter. So, keep those broadheads sharp, shooting skills honed and the smoker fired up! Let's have some fun,boys...!!!!!Luke Clayton

17. cathousemouse

cathousemouse New Member

State:
    White, Pa.
    Hey Dieselkat, I agree that some are around this part and probably have escaped from the canned hunt farms. I know a friend of mine had on up this way and he "lost" 4 of them of his property. They found 1 in the neighbors freezer but never did find the other three, and the way they have little ones there has to be alot more by now. I just think its funny the the state has to make a big deal about this with newspaper and everything but when someone kind of culls there bluff they can find an answer to anything anywhere. If you ever do find any and could use some help the boy and myself would be more than happy to lend our services LOL.

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm goin to be on vacation this week but when I get back I think I am goin to go try to find some wallows and rooted up areas. If I do then I'm puttin up a couple trail cams over them and see whats goin on. Zeboman wants in on it too. It would be pretty cool to get some BOC guys together for a hunt. Just let me get my duck in a row here and see what I can come up with.

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Keep me posted because hunting is one of my favorite things to do and hogs would provide more opportunities to head to the woods.

20. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm all for something else to hunt, especially in the lull between spring turkey and small game in the fall. But from what guys are saying in the south, they would rather have a lull than deal with these frickin things tearing up the ground, eatin fawns and turkey poults, competing for mast... Right now the aim is to get rid of them. If that cant be done (and it most likely wont) then what the hell, hunt them for fun.