Pennsylvania walleye

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I fished for walleyes in eastern Pa for the first time last year. I caught them, but not in great numbers. I would get maybe 1 or 2 per night. I used zooms, twister tails, and x-raps.

What do you guys use to catch walleyes in the rivers around you? Any other lure suggestions?

Also, I heard live baits works but never tried it. How do you guys catch walleyes using live bait. What kind of rig?

I want to increase my numbers this year. Thanks and peace out!

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Blacky - I prefer to use live bait for Walleye/Sauger. Medium size fatheads or shiners work real well. I use a standard slip sinker rig with a #4 Eagle Claw hook. I also like a floating jighead as well in a chartreuse color. Nightcrawlers and leeches are also effective live bait choices. A lead jig tipped with a minnow is deadly also!

3. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Scott nailed it. A chartruse twister tail tipped with a minnow works the best for me. A close second would be a walleye rig with a nightcrawler. If you are fishing the lower side of a dam you should be able to hammer em.

4. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    I know that I was fishing in Sewickly with my Dad(sorry this is Wally_Jr again i am in class supposed to be typing a paper, well the paper is already typed so i am checkin out the BOC) i think it was the OHIO, i know it was behind a doctors office, first time to river fish that i can remember in Texas where i am from there isnt any water in the River, but i used a slip rig with a 3 1/2'' ish bluegill i was out for some cats and i caught about a 7-10lb Walleye right from the bank, it was dark outside and i had never seen one before we took a picture and threw it back. never seen one before cause on the TV programs when they're trollin for walleye i get sea sick 8ft swells on Lake Erie.:bad_smelly:

5. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I'm new to sport of Walleye fishin my self. A lot of the hardcore Walleye fisherman up here on the North Branch just use top an bottom rig. They use a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce bell sinker with #6 or 8 hook snelled and about 15" apart with live chub's and let them sit untel something comes along. To slow for me I use mostly use soft plastic sloggos, Fluke, by Zoom, sometime 1/8oz jigheads with twistertails. Like you I only get a few a nite, I'm just not into the live bait thing, I know its better but I get more satifaction useing plastic. One more thing first and last light are the best time to fish, it might only last 15 to 30 mint's then it over.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    never targeted them but i have caught them with earthworms and spinners early and late just as the sun is coming up or down.

7. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    For me, walleye fishing is my favorite. I fish the three rivers and erie for walleye 100 days out of the year easily. During the walleyes pre spawn which is going on here...the sauger will hit anything that moves, the walleye lie in waiting for bucktails and husky jerks. The bigger females sit behind boulders in the river so they stay out of the fast current. Right now i'd use a 1/4 ounce jig with any color grub 3 inches. Right now is the best time to fish for river walleyes. Good Luck

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    This is an easy one for me. Where I fish they're almost a nuscince fish! They bite almost exclusivley on Night Crawlers and fat-head minnows (Live bait) usually suspended off the bottom. I can catch my limit of them about every time I go out. However if I go upstream to Pine Creek then I cant find a one! Go figure! lol But yeah, I fish just below the Antes Creek "head" (where it dumps into the W.Branch) down to the Jersey Shore Bridge. It's chalk full of them usually!
    Good luck too ya and if your ever up this way please fish a few of them outta there for me! lol

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Buddah,

I'll trade you one limit of walleye for a 20 lb flathead? Deal?