Pennsylvania Noodling!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Not exactly, but here's my story:

As most of you know, my friends and I had a bad spring and early summer. Between the 4 of us, all we had to show for 3 months of fishing was my 21lber caught in early May and Romo had 29lber in late May:embarassed:. Nothing of any size in June and because of the spawn, no bigguns in July!:angry:

One night in late July, Romo and I ventured out to one our our "hiking" spots. We set up and fished. At around 11PM, Romo got a screaming run and set the hook only this time, the fish pulled back. This one was no "skipper" or "lifter'! Of course we have to fish right in front of a down tree so naturally the flathead is gonna head for cover. It wrapped itself in the tree.:crazy:

Having such a crappy year, I wasn't gonna let this one get away and would not let Romo just "break it off":cool2: So like any struggling flatheader, I went in! I stripped down and jumped in. At first, I thought I could undo the line with my feet, but after about 10 attemps, I knew if I was to unbutton this fish, I really would have to GO DOWN! So with my glasses on and everything, I went head first like a scuba diver and plunge into the murky depths of the Mighty Schuylkill. The flathead must have taken about 20 loops around that tree and there was no way in hell I was gonna untangle it.

Being this was probalbly my one and only chance to go through a half-ass nooding experience, I felt around the bottom of the log and touched what was like a big ball of snot or a 2 foot fat earthworm!:crazy: I finally grabbed the fish by the mouth bare handed and lifted her out of the water. Unhooked the fish and swam back to shore. She weighed 22 lbs and was Romo's second biggest fish at that time of 2009.:crazy:

My thoughts on noodling is it's too dangerous and just not worth it.
    I'll stick to my rods and reels!:cool2:

THIS IS THE ONE THAT DIDN"T GET AWAY!:cool2:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Good one Tan!.Gotta give you credit brother for getting that one in.I aint going in the water for anything less than a 50lber!:crazy:.I bet it would have gotten really hairy if you reached in his mouth and got the hook stuck in your hand.Someone would have had to send you down a hose to breath through until you got it unstuck.:smile2:.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Props for jumping in after em. I don't know if i would have. nice fish too.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    now thats hardcore, i know a great log jam i'd like to fish with ya that i always get wrapped in:tounge_out:, after watchin some show where a parasite swam up someones pee hole i won't go in the river over my knees:smile2:

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey man thanks for shareing that with us! i would never dive in and do that! i told my buddy when i caught a 25 out of the log jam that good thing he didnt get wrapped up cuz i wasnt going in! and the water there was only maybe 8 foot if that...just no way!

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tan you ole noodling fool :smile2:

Back in my younger ranger days I would have dived in with you.

As I have gotten older, my wuss factor has increased by a factor of 10.. :wink:

7. Now that's passion and commitment!:roll_eyes::wink:

Reps little guy!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thats good stuff and i can relate somewhat. about 12 years ago my two cousins and i decided we were going to fish the yough in the middle of february. there were still a few ice chunks floating down and it was a balmy 34 degrees out. we caught some channels, a couple carp, and some rock bass and a smallmouth. it gets to be around 3 o'clock and my one cousin gets a nice hit and sets the hook into something very large and his pole is bent into a u. we are on shore wondering what it is when the fish wraps him up on something. he can't get it out no matter what but the fish is still on the line. well i said screw it and started stripping down and went out up to my armpits and man my bean bag was cinched up tight that water was so cold. the fish had wrapped around an old railroad tie so i got the line off and the fight was back on. came in and dressed and punched myself in the stomach to get my stones to drop and it wasn't wasn't ten seconds later and it got tangled up again. told my cousin its your turn and he went out but would only go so far and came back in. so i went back in again and got it unwrapped but the fish had wrapped up out further as well on what i guess was another railroad tie. it was in real deep water then and told my cousin sorry but i'm not going under and trying to swim against the strong current in water that cold. he ended up breaking the line trying to get it out from shore and we never saw what the heck it was. my other cousin was laughing at us and saying we were going to get so sick it won't be funny. guess what... the next day he was sicker than a dog and we never did get sick.

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Tan, thank you for that really great story. Your dedication to the sport is only exceeded by your desire to lend a helping hand where needed. That my brother is why I have respected you from day 1. You (as I have said many times) are the man! ***** That is the best that I can do to give you a five star rating my friend. You deserve it. Thank you again for touching lives and really caring. :cool2: REAL :cool2:

Ray

10. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    reps bro, good story. no one can say your not commited to fishing, what did your old lady say about that..lol:smile2:

11. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Now that really take's ball's:crazy::crazy:

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good stuff Tan. Don't know if I would do that on the river where I live. I know of three kids that have drowned swimming the river has a serious undertow. I have went diving for my cast net though.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i know where your coming from i wont get in water over my ankles...hahaha....JK from my picture you can tell that i am to much of a white guy for that to be true:eek:oooh:

Great story BLACKY....i have to say that is some dedication....

14. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I wanted to do it this year with my scuba gear but the river was just to messed up. Maybe next year. I know that log and it is no joke and I have caught Snappers there. You say I got balls, it looks like you are getting a pair yourself bro.:smile2: Now if you could only face your fear of the full moon.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Look, if I would not have gone in for that fish, I really think the fish would have died being tied to a log. That fish really swam 20 times around that log to wrap itself.

Catchinghogs,
    The Schuylkill in the city is a very slow moving river. plus it's small. No dangerous undertows!:big_smile:

Skammer,
    It doesn't take balls, just compasion for the preservation of the species. If the Sea Shepherds in Whale Wars are willing to lay their life for whale, I'm willing to do the same for flatheads.:wink:

Kenlaw,
    Snappers are more afraid of an Asian guys swimming around and would definitley jet outta there!:cool2:

16. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    hahahaha great post man. i did the same this summer. my buddy and i both hooked up on two little flats (around 10 pounds each) and they got tangled together. we didn't know it at the time so i thought i had a monster and stripped down and went in after them. what a surprise i had when i got to the bottom of things. Glad to hear you got a little wet to save that old girl. you da man!

17. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    My hat is off to you. That noodling is just not my thing. I will stick to fishing from my nice comfy boat seat.

18. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Tan, you just scored a 9.5 on my Big Cajone Meter! Not just for jumping in, but for jumping in the Schuylkill.

Now go get a penicillin shot! Or two! LOL :big_smile::big_smile:

19. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    You ain't right :eek:oooh: It would have to be one River Monster before I'd even consider going after it. i've dove it in daylight after and dissapearing rod already but even that was knida stupid. I got a basty cut and bruise on my leg from a Skuke rock and that got sore as hell.
    I suppose some of us are just way more dedicated than others. The pic is kinda funny though.
    Now you need to make your episode of RIVER MONSTERS..:roll_eyes:

20. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    All living things that live around the Skuke are affraid of you asian guys :smile2:. I had to go in after 2 fish this year that wer over #20, but I only went in up to my thighs and not all the way under. I want to see you go after one like thatt downstream :eek:oooh::smile2:. We got to get together shortly and try to get into some more biggins before it gets to cold.