Pennsylvania castnet regulations anybody..

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by pylodictis, Jan 2, 2007.

1. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    since folks were discussing regulations, i wanted to see if anyone were up on the castnet laws for pa. i looked in the book and saw only regulations for minnow skeins. it said that a skein had to be less than four feet in diameter. i wonder if that goes for castnets as well.

i had seen them mentioned in a boc post, but i don't remember what was said.

if anyone could point out the current laws, i'd appreciate it.

fish on...

b.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Good Luck bother i have been looking here in maryland and even the DNR offices can give may the laws one book say one thing and the other says something way differen.

3. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania

ain't that a pain.. it's not as though castnets are some obscure technique. you would think they would say something in the pa regs about them one way or another.

fish on...

b.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
  5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I remember reading that the thing is here in Maryland it say 10' so we no that much. but it says in some water of the state thats where it starts onbody seems to no jusy what waters you can and can't. i was at a meet with maryland fisheries the same people who make the rules. there was also a dnr office who i see on the waters i guide many times we have become friends somewhat.
    Three guys in fisheries when I ask what the rules was and where i can use it they seem to have three different answers for me after about 1/2 a hour they ask the office how he read the rules well he couldn't even find it in his rule book all it said was 10 ft in some waters of the state.

We will have something in writing about this and something to help out the catfish here as well by this spring. They are coming around to my way of thinking in the fisheries, funny thing was their was 5 head people from fisheries at this meet only one of them did any fishing. Why would they ever think about making laws about something they don't even do. And who was the dum a$$ who give them that job.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Best thing to do is ask PA DNR and keep a laminated copy of the response w/ you to prove to any dnr officer who may come by to try and stop you (assuming the response is positive for the use of castnetting) you have some word to go by.

And as far as MD is concerned... I've heard many different things, been stopped twice for castnetting at a local lake (freshwater/nontidal). One officer said it was ok as long as the net is under 5 ft in radius (it was it was either a 4 or 5fter... can't remember) and then a year later i got stopped trying to catch bluegills (and had caught some crappie but didn't want them and tossed them back anyway) and told the officer, its legal, its under 5ft (because the other officer told me) and he said i wasn't allowed to do it (same lake) because it was a stocked lake w/ trout (???? and that matters???) anyway i got a ticket for that.... Different officers, different rules in MD...

And they have loopholes in the rules which no normal fisherman would know and allows DNR to ticket if they want basically... The rule Tim talks about w/ the 10 ft net, it says " to use a cast net (up to 10 feet in radius) in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries where nets are permitted" well how are we supposed to know where nets are and aren't permitted if they don't tell us? and there are others which DNR interprets different ways but thats another arguement for another day.

7. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I can tell you first hand cast nets of any size are illegal in Pa. except for Raystown Lake to take shad only. I got fine for throwing a 4 foot cast net in a state park this summer. I thought as long as it was under 4 foot it was ok but I was very wrong. I called the pa fish commission before I started throwing the net and the officer I talked to that day told me if it was under 4 foot it would be ok. I should have got his name because he did not know what he was talking about. After I got the fine I called again and a more helpful officer did not know the real regulations him self. He called me back the next day and gave me the real regulation, and to make a long story short you cant use them. You can also forget about bait traps with a hole big enough for sunfish or nice suckers or anything big enough for Flathead bait. the Pa. laws make it very hard to catch bait efficiently, and be very careful about what you take there are size regulations for bait that they don't even mention in the book they give us. I still use a cast net and traps screw there stupid laws. I am just more careful about getting caught.

8. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i know the part about aproved trout waters is the same here in PA. they dont want people using minnow traps and seins because they may catch trout and they will take the small minnows that many trout prey on. it leaves me fishing with a rod and reel for my cut bait.

and i believe catfish killer is right, i know raystown you need a special permit and everything.