Pennsulvania Fish Commission is destroying The Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by rijkmus, Jul 10, 2009.

1. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    First off this is the topic of a conversation from my friend and a guy who met while fishing the Mon last night.

The conversation started as 7 PGC agents were launching the Electro shock boat last night from ten mile creek. They did fish all night from about 6:00 and my friend left at 3:00 am and they agents were not back yet.

The man stated that they were going out to shock the largest Flatheads and destroy them because of the rumbling of the bass fisherman about the shortage of fish.

My friend goes on to state that this man had worked for the PFC as a bioligist assistant until he got lime disease and had to retire. He also says he corrnered one of the agents and that is how he came to find out what was going on.

In either case let hear your opinions on this. I do not know if it was in here or the PFC web page where I read that if you did catch a flathead on this river (Can not remember the name but it was eastern PA.) that you should kill it as these fish are considered trash fish.

If this has some truth to it we should all be appaled.

2. I totally don't believe that this is happening:eek:oooh:. No way they are going to waste state funds for such nonsense:angry:. I mean, nothing would surprise me these days, but I really can't see that being true:confused2:.

I am in SE Pa and know a local conservation officer for this area pretty well, and he has never said anything about that, and also stated the the state knows that it is too late to do anything about the "Flathed problem".

It is too far out of control to be wasting our resources like that. Jesus, they elctro-fished Flatheads down here in Valley Forge Park and did a survey and released all the dam fish, and this was a few years ago!:eek:oooh:

But like I said, it wouldn't surprise me either.:embarassed:

I mean just look at the Pittsburgh Penguins.:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Is it the flats being blamed for eating bass or is it actually Fish Comm. laying groundwork to try to justify "stamps" for bass fishing? Money talks, the rest of us get screwed. Crap anyway, there are tons of smallies in the Suke and always have been.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think the PFC gave up on trying to eradicate anything a long time ago.I think that if they,re gonna spend any money on trying to get rid of any kind of fish, it would be on one of the invaders in Lake Erie.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    But like I said, it wouldn't surprise me either.:embarassed:

I mean just look at the Pittsburgh Penguins.:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:[/QUOTE]

Hey now! :crazy: What you talkin' bout you Flyer scum! :wink: :smile2:

6. daltonweaver3

daltonweaver3 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That sounds like typical "old man rambling". The guy was full of it.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was out the other night in my neighbors pontoon boat, we put in just before the shock boat did. We fished upstream on the Mon. that shockboat must have went downstream because we never saw it.

If I ever see them killing flatheads they're gonna hear about it.
    I'll throw every bass I get right on the bank.

8. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I do not know what to think either it is just like all the stories you hear of the PGC importing Coyotes to take care of the Deer Program.

I am getting this story third person and we do have no facts except the electro-shock boat was there. And went out at night.

Now I have these questions, and I as from an investigative point of view. Is it normal for the PFC to go out on these missions at night.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i dout they would be going out at nite, if your gonna use an electro shock it'll work on them day or nite, i don't think they'd be out doin a 3 rd shift unless they were lookin for some overtime:eek:oooh:

10. Yah, I have never heard of that on this side of the state, but then again we're talking about Western PA.:eek:oooh::tounge_out:

11. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I find it hard to believe they would do this,first because the method would not differentiate between the species, meaning they would indeed kill the very same fish they are claiming to save(bass) by ridding the flathead. It would be like cutting off your arm because your hand itches.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the electro shock only stuns them for a few seconds to bring them to the surface to be netted

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Looking at most of the avatars in this thread, it seems there is a lot of help in their efforts to eradicate the flathead. LOL

14. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    First off, yes it is normal to electrofish at night for surveys, look at the bass surveys of the river; nearly everyone of those were done at night. the photos prove it.

Second, shuck, it is a well known PA secret that the flathead fisheries ARE not greatly pressured either by the public or by BOC brothers. nearly all the fisheries are in such large polluted waters that harvesting them would cause sickness... I seriously doubt that anybody that contributed to this thread harvests many flatheads.

The problem with these third person reports is that the fish commission is disliked and can't please (and currently isn't pleasing too many anglers)... everyones got a gripe. 'they're not stocking enough trout' 'there's not enough walleye in the lakes' ' there wasting all their money stocking trout'

so naturally a good portion of anglers are willing to believe dark, devious conspiracies about the commission. Personally, I would go strait to the source. ask point blank about the fish and the water. More than likely there were doing a bass survey. electroshocking maybe a good way to survey a lake, but its a poor way to exterminate a species, its only got a 'range' of a few feet. in any thing more than a brookie stream, it would say its ridiculous.

anyway you either take the commission at the word or you don't. but if you ask then you can 'try' to prove their lying. I'll believe it when I see them photos:wink:

15. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Boy, the fish commission is killing off flatheads, the game commission is stocking mountain lions and coyotes to kill off the deer.....what's wrong with this state? lol :roll_eyes:

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    everyone one this site CPR's their flatheads, thats why we can have a flathead in our avatar:wink:

17. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    If they are going to destroy Flatheads they probably would do it at night. Less photo opertunities for the public.

18. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Excuse my language but I read that thread and post and am sitting here thinking "Who the F$^K do they think they are?". That really pisses me off! I had a big go around with the Game Comm. some years back. These people act they are the Gods that determine what life is in our waterways and on lands.
    I can understand going after the Snakehead, that is a disaster to any place it goes. Seems to me that Flatheads and other fish thrive perfectly well together. It's not like they are in an aquarium. They act like flats vacuum clean the water of everything that swims in it.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey guys, they have flathead eradication programs in many states.
    Commercial catfishing is a form of catfish eradication in many states.

In Georgia they shock them up by the tons GDNRs official bragging page on this is down right now, but here's a teaser news article no where near as horrifying as the GDNR site though.... http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/102008/geo_346272686.shtml

They're doing this in NC Neuse River. and others, just search it.

letting flathead erradication program become a squatter in your state will be a mistake.

The Ideal that state DNR can decide which fish to keep and which fish to erradicate- and do it without a public hearing and approval is bullshit.
    Too many personal agendas get forced on the fisheries in every state this way and catfish -especially flatheads- will lose!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009