Penn's New Roddy 175 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by shortshank, Jul 9, 2006.

1. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Anyone tried Penn's Roddy 175? I'm thinking about ordering one later today. Comes with 6 ball bearings and "supposed" to be the 7th. wonder in casting. I can get a new one for $35. I feel like I'm deserting my 209's.
    Don

2. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

Ive never used either abus for me but from everything ive heard the penn 209 is better like HansReinhardt said.

3. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just bought a Penn Roddy 175 on ebay for 20 bucks, plus 8 for shipping. It was used (claimed to be used once, but the line capacities were barely visible and had some scuffs, so I'm thinkin either used more than once, or stored poorly). Anyhow, I was looking for reviews on the reel before I bought it, and couldn't find any. So I took the plunge. I haven't caught anything with it yet, so officially it would be truly untested as yet. It casts very well. The clicker is loud enough, but not nearly as loud as my jigmaster 500L. Until proven otherwise (and I hope to have this opportunity this year: hasn't been the most productive fishing for me) I'd say it's a good reel. I would hesitate to say its a "heavy" freshwater/ "light" saltwater reel. I think it could handle fish up to 20 lbs. Don't know if it would be the reel of choice if reeling in 40+ lb fish on a regular basis. Right now I'm thrilled to pull in a 5 pounder. Hell, a fat bluegill would bring a smile on some of these past nights. As I use it (and hopefully catch fish with it), I'll post my experiences with the reel.

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Dave I passed on the 175 until I get more information on them. My thinking on that reel was for Steelhead 5-15lb fish. I fish small rivers here for them so the reel will have to stand a pretty heavy load factoring in current and hard charging runs. Drift boat fishing makes it a lot simpler, but I don't own a drift boat. Let us know how the reel works on one a little bigger than a chubby blue gil.
    Don

5. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Don,
    We got one as a prize from the BOC. Now sir, nothing bad about the BOC or the fine Brother who gave away the prize...the poor thing just didn't hold up!

It seemed like the berrings just got wore out in no time at all. I have NEVER just wore out a reel...EVER, and the 175 gave out in just 6 months. I havent taken in appart, YET, but I don't think I would spend much in one.

Buy a Zebco 202 for the money and you would be Happier.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I bought one off ebay,
    They look good, but this one seem to get loose, and made you think it was short lived, had it abiut 3 months sold it and moved on ,

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I bought one off ebay,
    They look good, but this one seem to get loose, and made you think it was short lived, had it about 3 months sold it and moved on , I use 7000 abu, but a friend of mine spoonfish bought, 2 220 penns . good looking, good feel and I bet with proper care would last a life time. Iwas impressed.
    JIM

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Thanks guys, I was concerned about the reel because there was no information I could find anywhere about them. Wally, I don't think anyone would be offended because there just isn't any info available so how would you know? Besides that, you were able to give us a factual report we can all use for future reference. This has been a group effort that should help anyone else make a much easier, more informed, decision on the Penn 175.
    Thank You All,
    Don

9. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok, bigger than the chubby bluegill....(8 lb carp, from the Great Miami River). The rod/reel is right behind my left leg.
    that said, nope, wouldn't recommend this to one looking for a heavier duty reel. However, as an introduction into the world of baitcasters, ain't too bad at all. My fiancee loves the reel, actually claiming it as one of her own. (Had to borrow it for this trip to Cincy). The casting is phenominal, easily toss 2oz 50 yards + with no fuss. The clicker ain't no penn clicker, but can be heard (won't wake anyone up, however). Looks like it would be difficult to get parts for, but for the price, not too shabby for light fishing.

Attached Files: