Penns made in China?!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mr. Rooster, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I just got back from Bass Pro and had been looking at various reels. I already knew that Abu's 7000C3 was made in Taiwan, but was very surprised to see that the Penn 220GTO was made in China. What is this world coming to? Needless to say I was kinda bummed.

Eric

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess that is how they are selling them so cheap.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well guess they will go good with the rods we buy that are made there, like the ugly sticks, big games, glow sticks and most others.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Don't Take It To Hard Eric, Just About Everything Is Made In China These Days.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

WHAT ISNT MADE OVER THERE??!!!??!?!?!?!?

6. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Corporate greed has caused a tremendous amount of items to be made overseas.

7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I've repaired reels for years. On most models the drive and crank gears have to be replaced together, or they won't mate.

We hear alot about the problems of our southern neighbor and their coming to us to work, for free. Look to our east, they are having the same problems with their neighbors to the south.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    There is a show called "Made In America" on the travel channel. Wonder if they will have to change the name to made in China/Mexico one of these days.
    Bill

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I believe for now its just the gto's? For now:tounge_out:

10. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I debated about whether or not to post this but here goes. Its our own freakin fault everything is made in China. If we continue to shop based solely on price then it is the corporations responsibility to produce goods wherever they can for the lowest cost so they can in turn sell it to us for less. If we don't stand up and refuse to pay a dollar less for a product just because its from China then we are ultimately responsible for the corporations shipping jobs there.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

www.madeinusa.org

I didn't go through the site looking for fishing equipment but the misses has used it in the past to find her parents things. They will only buy "made in the USA" anything.

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Eagle products....... I think?

13. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I agree with foodsaver. It seems to me if a American Co. does sell a good product it only stays on the market for a short period of time. Because so many people shop by price alone.I guess if you dont know what your looking at its the easy thing base a decision on.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Other than some Penns, are there any American reel makers left? The most popular reel used by catfisherman, the Abu, has never been made here. As for our rods, there are few inexpensive rods made here anymore and even the line is made overseas in many cases. In the case of Abu and Penn, I would be willing to bet the parts are made elsewhere and then sent to China assemble. Five years from now, some other country will be doing that work, just like happened with Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and many other nations that used to be the cheap place to have goods made.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats bad, everything is made in China these days. I wonder is Abu's still made in Sweden?

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Some Abu's are made in Sweden, some in other parts of the world. What's not clear is whether they are just being assembled in other places, or if the parts are made there also.

17. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I'm disappointed...:sad2:

18. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    What I can't understand is why the U S A is dealing with a communist country in the first place. The U S never traded with Russia, Cuba or North Korea. A lot of kick backs going on somewhere.

19. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Penn is not made in China. They are just assembled there. All the parts are still manufactured right here in the US. And that is only casting models. All spinning models are still machined and assembled right here in the US (for now).

As for other reels-Okuma is made in Canada, which is about as close as you can get to US.

20. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    most products are made overseas. lets find out what reels are made in usa