Penns and abu's made in china!?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mr. Rooster, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I niticed that the penn 220, 320, and the new abu 7000c3i are made in China. I guess this must be the wave of the future. I hope the quality of these legendary reels hasn't suffered.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Quality need not suffer. What isn't clear is whether the gears and other parts are made in China or the reels are just assembled there. Its sad, but the companies cannot compete if they build the reels in the states or, in the case of ABU, in Sweden.. If worried about the quality of Chinese made fishing equipment, then hang up your Ugly Sticks.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The smaller Abu casting reels are still made in Sweden.

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Some of the parts to these new reels are still made in Sweden but China does the final assembly.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Time will tell how the new ones made in china will last, but if the cars are any indicaiton, then they should last as good as the ones assembled in sweden. Like the other posts said, the rods we've been using for years have already been made in other countries.

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    40 years ago if you bought some thing that was made in Japan it wasa cheep made peice of junk now some of the best made things are made in Japan and these days we buy cheap made junk from China.

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They still must pass quality control no matter where they are assembled. If the quality of the reels is less then it would be a company doing it not the country making the parts or assembling them. Since they have built their reputation on quality reels I do not think they would do that. From what reels I have put my hands on this year I think they are better than ever.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just get used ones from ebay. an ambassadeaur should last a couple generations if taken care of. i have a 1950's 5000 that i cleaned when i got it. it casts just as far as my 6500cl3's. thinking about looking into some new carbon drag washers for it.

and i just bought a new ugly stick catfish rod yesterday. made in chins. and they have a 7 year warrenty.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I carry a set of $700 Pentax binoculars into the hunting woods everytime I go. They're the best set I've ever peeked through (okay, except for the Swaro's and leicas) and they were made in China. I don't see anything wrong with China making things, as long as the quality is the same. Heck, it may even improve. Never can tell these days. At least they're making an attempt to keep them affordable.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From what ive seen the gears are still cut in Sweden.