penn77

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by adamnmisty, Jul 7, 2008.

penn 77 yay or nay?

1. what would be the reel of choice?

2. why this specific reel?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. adamnmisty

adamnmisty New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    whats the input on the penn 77 reel? thinking about getting one.. please give feedback Thanx Adam:confused2:

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My reel of choice would be an ambassadeur.

catman george

3. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are you thinking of the Penn 77... that has not been made for 20 years? or a different reel. Link please!

4. adamnmisty

adamnmisty New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    yep,, its a penn 77 the old one yes:wink:

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    That's a no level wind, no drag, light reel. I suppose for small cats it would be ok, but probably not much else... Doesn't hold much line, either, as I recall..

Never fished one, but it would be interesting to try one out.

However, if you are looking for a good catfish reel, this one probably won't do...

6. adamnmisty

adamnmisty New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    thnx,, i saw it on ebay and i thot id ask,, whats ur suggestions for a reel?

7. Parker

Parker New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    If you like penn reels I would go with the 310 gti I still use a few that I have every now and again, but mainly fish with Shimano tekota 600's now.

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    For boats, guys like the 209 and 309 for trolling and such. These are stout reels, level wind, and they cast ok, too. I've used these from the bank with success. If you are really throwing from the bank for distance, a Jigmaster or a Squidder are the ticket. No levelwind, but they cast great, hold a ton of line, especially braid, and are tough reels. Parts are readily available for all these reels. 300 yrds of 50 or 65 lb Powerpro won't fill any of these reels. There are other Penns too, like the 310's, but these are my favorites. If you shop Ebay, you can pick up 209's and 309's in the 30.00 range, a bit more for Jigmasters, and a chunk more for the Squidders, unless you catch a bargain. The price is right on these as well, and they are great quality reels.

My Squidders are the best casting reels I own, I can throw them farther than my Baitrunner. They are the only one of the above Penn reels with bearings, hence the higher prices generally. These all can be used in saltwater as well, are easy to maintain, and will do great for catfish.

I really like my Penns, I own all of the above reels, and I think you will like them too. Good luck!!

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just go with abu if I have the$$$ if not then I go with shakespeer

10. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like Penn reels they will last a lifetime if you just semi take care of them. I have 209's & 309's I use for surf fishing I use Penn 440's and 4400ssg spincast for catfishing makes it reel (real) fun when you hook a big kitty. You just have to work the drag and it will haul your bigger cats in. I have my original Penn 440ss on an ugly stick I bought 25 years ago and it still works like a charm. Also Penn Stainless Steel reels are good for salt or fresh water, just make sure you rinse them off when your done fishing.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Some one had given me a old fly rod and a old surf rod.I had been fishing them with the line tied on to the end like a cane pole.I needed a reel!Now being we went down to Pawleys Island SC. regularly and to Mobile AL.and stayed on the bay,I needed me a PENN!

Well,I found me the cheapest Penn in a Hardware Store.It had been there a while as Penn reels didn't sell to well in rural South Carolina way inland from the Ocean.I don't remember if I traded Catfish or bought it with Catfish money,but I got it.

I had me a gin-U-wine Penn reel.I dreamed of catching me a 10,000 pound Tiger Shark next time we went to saltwater.In the mean time it went on that fly rod and that surf rod.I also took the guides off of the old rods and tips that I found at low water and taped them on cane poles with friction tape(Antique Duct tape) and taped the reel on.I caught many a Bluegill,bullhead,small channel,whiting,Croaker and Mangrove Snapper over the years with this reel until it was stolen years later.

Yes sir.It was 1954,I was 9 years old and on the Santee with a gin-U-wine Penn reel.You could not have stuffed my head into a 55 gallon drum it was so swelled!Them was the days.

As for a drag.You laced a old shoe tongue on it to press against the spool.As for level wind reels.They were known as "Sissy reels".No joke.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. adamnmisty

adamnmisty New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    it sounds like youve had a great time fishing then, theres nothing like hearing about the good ole' days.. i hope to be able to tell my grandkids stories like these,, thanks for sharing with me..:smile2::smile2: