Penn ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishin addict, Feb 21, 2008.

1. fishin addict

fishin addict New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have used a few Penn baitcasters in saltwater but the ones I used were Senators. These were for trolling or bottom fishing but would not cast. I would like to know of some models they make that are good for casting. Thanks

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The 310 is the first that pops into my mind. It'll take what ever ya throw at it.

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The 9, 109, 209 and 309 are all good, the 140 145 146 Squidder and the Surfmaster and Beachmasters are well thought of for casting... as are the Jigmaster 500's. I know there are others, and their spinning gear also has a good reputation, although I have never used a Penn spinner... The Senator is as good a trolling reel as there is out there, and most any of the above reels could also be used for trolling....

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have a pair of tricked out Sqidders that are a joy to fish with, but Penn no longer makes them.:sad2:

Take a look at the 525mag...not cheap, but worth coveting.:wink:

5. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Are you fishing from a boat or bank fishing?Are you comfortable with a non levelwind or are you looking for a levelwind?
    Jake

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    The Penn 220 and 230 GTO's are not too bad for the money. However, I dont think they will cast with the 209's or 309's. I recently bought a 210 off ebay and it will cast a mile. These I dont believe are in production anymore but if you can find one in great shape like I did, Id highly recommend them. They will cast with the best of them. rspd507

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    if you have an educated thumb already i would go with the squidder or 500 they are both non-levelwind which is one less thing to go wrong and will land any catfish you will hook into and both cast like rockets the only question left would be line size and capacity , using mono larger line i would go with the 500 or if using braid the 140 should hold plenty of say #80 power pro which has #20 diameter .

8. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    id go with a 209 or 309 great line capacity and with a little TLC that penn will last you a long long time

9. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Are you talking about casting Senators? If so the 112 is a Senator that I own and I can cast it, though not as good as my other Penns, but you can cast a 112.

10. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would go with the 310GTI or 320GTI. I have used them for years and Penn stands behind their product. I sent one to them last year that was 15 years old to be reconditioned and it came back like brand new. They are a great reel but I'm slow switching over to the Shimano Tekota, what a powerhouse!

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    How well any given Penn casts depends on when it was made. Older Penns had chrome plated brass spools, which were heavy, and very prone to over-runs (backlashes). Penn's answer to the problem, at the time, was plastic spools, but they had problems of their own.

I haven't looked at new Penns in a while, but I'm under the impression that most have aluminum spools, which improves things, considerably.

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have read that some of the guys in Hawaii cast the 4/0 and 6/0 senators for about 90 yards tops.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I like the 310 gti.

14. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    if you do not mind not having a level wind, the 525 535 545 and 555 are nice. you can lower the speed if its too fast. very castable

the 310 gti has got smaller 5 layer drag. castable too and you can remove the levelwind and that will help you cast further.

the 320 have got bigger drags but just a little bigger frame. ( notice that the 310 got a rather small spool in relation to the frame. i think they could have made a smaller frame )

If you like 320 gti or gt2, do have a look at the 320ld. its has got nice drags but its hard to cast due to design constraints.

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 2 309's and 1 209 there pretty decent for the money, hold a lot of big line and if your good with a bait caster you should be alright with the 209 and 309 they are a little more tricky to cast than a abu for say but I use them everytime I go out.

16. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have 4 of the old style 209's and you can cast them a mile.
    They will also hold over 200 yards of 100 lb power pro.

I picked up mine of ebay for around 30 bucks each and they are all in good shape.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THE 220 GTO AINT BAD :wink:

18. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    A USA made PennSquidder is the way to go. Get one on EBAY .

One time a few years ago in the 60's I was fishing Marthas Vineyard with my squidder and a 10 ft surf rod casting rod for Blues. An old salt yelled I was casting to far unless I was trying to fish off off France.

I later asked him where tp park my VW bug and he said " Pahk ya cah by the habah!!! I looked puzzled and then I realized he meant Harbor!!! They talk funny like the Chappaqiddick Kid:angry:.

That squidder took a lot of fish and I could cast a mile with the plastic spool. A little harder with the metal spool. Carried a bunch of extra spools with line because when you run 50 ft and cast all your might it either goes a bunch or backlashes a birdsnest! Reel has quick takedown for quick spool changes.
    Used braided nylon not mono. When I used mono it worked but more lashes....:smile2:

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm just learning to cast my penns well...but haven't mastered it yet. I have a 9m....a 309....200 surfmaster....149 deep sea......5500spinning. I love penn reels.:cool2:

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought a 209 used and I am gonna give it a try......I am gonna but a new reel here shortly-the 320gt is in my eye somewhat.