Penn

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by shingman6, Dec 13, 2007.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I was thinking about getting a penn 209 but I read that they were going to shut the doors in about a year. Has anyone heard about this.?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve I have not heard that rumour. But that would be more of a reason to buy one of the Penn reels. They make some good equipment.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I would suggest looking on ebay for the older style penns that are made in the US. You can pick them up for between 25-40 bucks and most are in good shape. I have 4 of them and like them really well.

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I love my 209's for anchor fishing in HEAVY current! Good reels!:big_smile:

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Not sure what you mean by shut the doors. Penn was taking over by Shakespeare :eek:oooh:. The office is still open here in Philadelphia.(last time i drove by) They no longer with an exception of a few reels make them here in Philly. Some say the quality has gone down since they went to China but are still pretty good reels. I never owned a Penn reel myself though.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't heard anything about shutting the doors. But if you buy a penn it is built to last a lifetime. They are easy to have maintenance done on if need be. I own a 309 levelwind..... a number 9........ a 149 deep sea...... a 200 surf master. They all do an excellant job. No problems here.

7. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have 3penn 220s & 3-- 320s they are great reels, if you pm me il tell you where you can get them the 220s for 46.00 that is cheep for new penns, comes with the rod clamp to.